Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
17 posts
Page 1 of 1
My Quantum 2626 keeps making a loud static noise at 44.1 kHz and 48.00 kHz. At higher sample rate values the sound off the Quantum output is perfect. Anyone knows how to fix this?
by adamhughes on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm also interested in this. I have the same issue - noise apparent when using 44.1 or 48kHz, while there is no issues with higher sample rates. I'm running Windows 10 with my Quantum 2626 connected via Thunderbolt 3 cable to my laptop. I've tried many things to address this and nothing fixed it but possibly some may help you, e.g. my laptop did not have SST (speedshift) enabled by default even though it was supported by the CPU, I've enabled this using Throttlestop SW, it helped general performance and power usage but did not help this issue. There is a FAQ from PreSonus to disable C-states https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... tum-Series but I don't like this as a potential solution as it will prevent the CPU from going into low power state and there shouldn't be any reason to have CPU running max constantly, particularly on a laptop and regardless it doesn't mention issues with lower sample rates only.
by PAE Seth on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 am
Guys, it's really hard to quantify what you are stating.

Define noise? Because you can get 100 different responses to that.

Audio samples, videos, frequency response pictures showing the noise... etc.

Anything to help narrow down the issue.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by adamhughes on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:39 pm
Noise = pops and clicks etc.

To be clear, Enabling optimized PreSonus power plan for Thunderbolt audio streaming within Universal Control does prevent the issue from occurring - this seems to do that same as disabling C-states as discussed in the link above. However this causes my laptop run both its fans at full speed constantly as the CPU is not controlling power management and running hot. This is unnecessary - completely. My laptop fans will die if I do this for long periods. BUT, as stated, if the sample rate is 96kHz or above (with appropriate block size changes) this doesn't happen.

I don't believe it is appropriate solution to this issue to disable C-states.
by TerjeNorway on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:43 am
AMD system or Intel system?

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by adamhughes on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:57 am
Intel for me: Intel Core i7-8750H
by alanbarber on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:06 pm
I'm having the same issue with quantum 2626. I tried the C-states fix but the freeware program does not run on my computer. (Dell XPS 15, intel core i7 10th gen) Did anyone solve this problem? The noise is best described as static or square wave clipping at low sample rates. Like others the problem disappears at higher sample rates.
Any help much appreciated.
by adamhughes on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:41 pm
No this hasn't been resolved. It doesn't appear to be something Presonus is putting any effort into resolving. It is disappointing because there are times I have projects at 48 or 44.1, particularly when using digital SPDIF inputs.
by kristinanadzam on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:37 pm
I've contacted their tech support about this, and they are basically telling me I am crazy and that the files I am sending are clean. They're not. It's frustrating. Tomorrow I'll be recording a video on my phone to prove there is an issue. It's literally so bad it's visible in the waveform, but they're saying it's not there. I'm at a point of ripping my hair out over this.
by TerjeNorway on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:14 pm
Since all of you that have problems have laptops my guess it's related to that. Laptop has never been or will never be a great music production solution in my mind. Too many issues and limitation due to battery and power. This is my suggestion:
- Take out the battery from the laptop and just use the power from the wall.
- Then change settings on power plan to either Ultimate Performance or High Performance.
This is of course just to test if this is the cause of your issues not meant to be a "permanent" solution

Also all of you should try and turn off (disable) C-states instead of "thinking" it will not work. It is pretty easy to turn off C-states in the bios if you cannot make it work on the software shown in the Presonus tutorial. Also all of you should update your bios while your at it.

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by anthonydonald on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 am
I am having the same type issue, but it's on all sample rates, and it isn't a laptop, it's a NUC Mini. Specifically the 10i5FNH. Of course everyone keeps saying it's not their equipment that is the issue. Tried every rate, different buffer settings, all drivers are latest, driving me crazy. Basically sounds like static on any input while using the 2626 as my output. Even just playing music, gets worse when the CPU is being accessed, like in Media Player when it is doing checks on the music files. Constant noise with any signal to the inputs on the 2626. Tried guitar, keys, vocals, all the same. This isn't a laptop thing...

Studio One Artist
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H 2.20GHz 16 GB Ram Win 10 64
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz I7 16 GB Ram Big Sur
Quantum 2626
Faderport 8
by darwinfetters on Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:25 am
So, I am having this issue at all sample rates on a brand new Mac Mini M1 running Big Sur 11.6, UC 3.6.0.66460, Studio One 5.4.1.66992, with a brand new Quantum 2626 updated to the latest firmware. I bought this Quantum through Sweetwater and have been working the problem through them. They tried several configuration changes, including running in Rosetta mode. They eventually opened a ticket with Presonus, who wanted to verify that I am using an Apple Thunderbolt cable (I am), and then said they believed it was a hardware issue. I received a replacement 2626 a few days ago and it shows the same behavior, so I conclude it is not a hardware issue. I found that the issue occurs only while there is playback and input occurring, and so I set up a configuration where one of the 2626's is the input device and the other is the output device, and this cures the problem. I will contact Sweetwater again tomorrow to see how they want to proceed, but I'm considering getting a smaller interface (maybe a 68c) to use as an output device while this issue exists. I've tried almost all of the Presonus interfaces and find the 2626 is what should work best in my studio, but the static issue prevents all recording. I don't like the idea of rewarding Presonus for not fixing this issue by buying another item from them, so one option for me is to abandon the Presonus line-up entirely. I could go back to using my Tascam DP32 just so I can get some recording done. I want to record music not work issues like this. I'd love to see this fixed because I'm excited about all of the possibilities in computer based configurations, but it seems like this is not a new issue. For those having trouble demonstrating the issue, I found it shows up visually on a Pro EQ inserted on the input channel.

Apple Mac Mini M1, Big Sur 11.6, Studio One 5.4, Quantum 2626, Faderport 16.
by nlejirhp on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 pm
Hello everyone, I am also having a problem similar to this with my new quantum 2626 running on a new mac mini m1. For me the interface sounds crystal clear when playing back audio but the crackle/noise is present when playing guitar through either of the instrument inputs. I've checked with my old interface (steinberg ur22c) using the same cables (except the thunderbolt cable, which is new) and the steinberg is clean. This is either the presonus hardware or the presonus drivers.

An update from presonus would be great because I'm seeing quite a few people with this problem on various forums and it took me a while to actually notice, so I'm guessing there are more to come.

Edit: I should point out that I am not using any daw, I run this as a bedroom live rig using Neural DSP plugins.

EDIT: My bad. For me this was just an input level issue. For some reason I need to set the input level on the presonus much lower relative to clipping point than I do with my old Steinberg. There seems to be a point on the input knob where noise instantly jumps in rather than gradually. Everything sounds great now.
by PAE Seth on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 am
Pops / clicks are 100% system issue.

Windows Laptops are garbage for Thunderbolt, IMO. Especially the "thin and light" laptops that have horrible cooling. These usually perform way worse than those beefy gaming laptops that have much better cooling. The trade off is high fan noise.

Intel NUCs are indeed just a laptop, fitted into a small computer chassis. Intel Mac Mini's were the same thing.

I don't have any issues with my M1 MacBookPro. I can run low buffer settings just fine. I have a Dell XPS (7th Gen i5) on Win11 that runs just fine as well, albeit, there are limitations to what I can process in real time and what buffers can I use reliably.

My guess is DPC latency is causing issues for you guys. Laptops are the worst about this.

I suggest installing LatencyMon, latest version, and running this during your DAW session for about 5-10 minutes. You should be able to see if your system is having trouble with system performance. This is an age old problem with Audio and Computers.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by karlkneeland on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:49 pm
PreSonus is the worst. I have never had the kind of issues that I have had with ANY interface in the last 10 years and all the uneducated fools (who are probably all 50+ and living in the past) who say "it's because you have a laptop" you are the definition of ignorant, my 3500$ laptop most likely BLOWS your DESKTOP AWAY in every conceivable measurement, PERIOD. 9/10 times these days, laptops are just as powerful as desktops, educate yourself. PreSonus has the absolute worst customer service I have EVER dealt with in my entire lifetime and this interface albeit with some nice sounding preamps and excellent sounding outputs, is completely trash, it runs hot, the phantom power takes more time to warm up than my 15-year-old gear does, the crackles and pops are apparent whenever using it for playback on anything other than your DAW, which completely ruins it. ALTHOUGH, I do know of a fix for the crackles and pops after literally a month of fighting with this thing without any third-party software or the dumb optimized power plan that destroys the CPU on your computer. Go into the options and choose "rescan network" and boom, no more crackles or pops in the speakers or headphones playback.
by Charles Allen on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:20 am
Hi Karl,

I also have crackle/pop issues with my Quantum 2. I’m running a fairly high end PC - Win10 20h2, 32 GB @3200 of high quality ram, i7-10700, Samsung SSDs, and an ASUS (amd) RX5500XT. My computer is housed in a large Fractal Design case with plenty of air flow. I have a Noctua CPU cooler installed. My system never overheats, and even under full load, temps don't typically go above 70 or 72. I’m also using a very good gold-rated 650 watt power supply (Corsair RM-650x). My motherboard is a fairly high end Gigabyte AORUS AX Pro, and I have a Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2 TB3 card installed. I connect the Quantum using an Apple TB2 cable, and a StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter.

Most of the time, the Quantum 2 is very impressive, but unless I use High Performance power profile, it crackles and pops like a fresh bowl of rice krispies - even @64 or128 samples. I work pretty much exclusively @44.1 Khz. And when I say it makes too much ‘noise’, I mean while just running a single instance of certain Kontakt or UVI virtual instruments such as, pianos, e-piano, Hammond organ, or whatever. I’m not talking about high track count DAW sessions or ginormous, resource-demanding orchestral libraries.

Things started working more fluidly when I configured Thunderbolt to operate with TB SECURITY OFF/Disabled within my system’s BIOS. The issue also reduces some more if I make sure to disable CPU core parking and frequency scaling - I use Bitsum’s ParkControl & Process Lasso for this task.

What settings or options are you referring to RE. “rescan network”?

Sincerely,
Bro. Charles

karlkneeland wrotePreSonus is the worst. I have never had the kind of issues that I have had with ANY interface in the last 10 years and all the uneducated fools (who are probably all 50+ and living in the past) who say "it's because you have a laptop" you are the definition of ignorant, my 3500$ laptop most likely BLOWS your DESKTOP AWAY in every conceivable measurement, PERIOD. 9/10 times these days, laptops are just as powerful as desktops, educate yourself. PreSonus has the absolute worst customer service I have EVER dealt with in my entire lifetime and this interface albeit with some nice sounding preamps and excellent sounding outputs, is completely trash, it runs hot, the phantom power takes more time to warm up than my 15-year-old gear does, the crackles and pops are apparent whenever using it for playback on anything other than your DAW, which completely ruins it. ALTHOUGH, I do know of a fix for the crackles and pops after literally a month of fighting with this thing without any third-party software or the dumb optimized power plan that destroys the CPU on your computer. Go into the options and choose "rescan network" and boom, no more crackles or pops in the speakers or headphones playback.

Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Intel i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 2400, 1TB SSD m.2, 1TB 7200 HDD, ESI U168XT (USB 2.0) - Windows 10 x64.
by TerjeNorway on Wed May 04, 2022 6:42 pm
karlkneeland wrotePreSonus is the worst. I have never had the kind of issues that I have had with ANY interface in the last 10 years and all the uneducated fools (who are probably all 50+ and living in the past) who say "it's because you have a laptop" you are the definition of ignorant, my 3500$ laptop most likely BLOWS your DESKTOP AWAY in every conceivable measurement, PERIOD. 9/10 times these days, laptops are just as powerful as desktops, educate yourself. PreSonus has the absolute worst customer service I have EVER dealt with in my entire lifetime and this interface albeit with some nice sounding preamps and excellent sounding outputs, is completely trash, it runs hot, the phantom power takes more time to warm up than my 15-year-old gear does, the crackles and pops are apparent whenever using it for playback on anything other than your DAW, which completely ruins it. ALTHOUGH, I do know of a fix for the crackles and pops after literally a month of fighting with this thing without any third-party software or the dumb optimized power plan that destroys the CPU on your computer. Go into the options and choose "rescan network" and boom, no more crackles or pops in the speakers or headphones playback.

:lol: you should not be allowed to write ignorant about anybody. Look in the mirror.
By the way I don't think a stupid guy like you can afford a 3500$ laptop. And since you don't understand the limitations due to battery power (power plan) I see no need in trying to explain you anything. I'm sorry to hear that your incredible stupid "solution" rescan network (that has nothing to with anything except internet connection) fixed you problems.

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum

17 posts
Page 1 of 1