Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone, I got my Quantum 2 interface last month and got everything up and running through thunderbolt on my windows 10 built PC ( the thunderbolt port works yayyy! ) Quick question I'm trying to get everything up and running the best way possible:

I'm mainly doing a lot of midi live recording through my controller and soft synths via studio one( pretty sweet all in one daw I'm finding) the occasional recording of guitars, probably going through software amp modeling for now like amplitube 4.

I also picked up a set of Behringer MS40 monitors and noticed I have spdif in on them and the outputs on the quantum. Is there a big advantage hooking them up to the spdif signal vs the analog main line 1 and 2 out to input? I have them plugged in right now to the spdif, one thing I noticed is playback latency from midi input is almost non existant which is great, but I also read that I'm bypassing the whole DA conversion this way. I'm trying to tune everything in right and get everything dialed and was just a tad curious. Thanks again for the input everyone! :thumbup:
by Jim Roseberry on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 am
lanceorosco wroteI also picked up a set of Behringer MS40 monitors and noticed I have spdif in on them and the outputs on the quantum. Is there a big advantage hooking them up to the spdif signal vs the analog main line 1 and 2 out to input? I have them plugged in right now to the spdif, one thing I noticed is playback latency from midi input is almost non existant which is great, but I also read that I'm bypassing the whole DA conversion this way. I'm trying to tune everything in right and get everything dialed and was just a tad curious. Thanks again for the input everyone! :thumbup:

There's no absolute right/wrong answer on how to connect your studio monitors.

Most likely, the D/A converters on the Quantum sound better than the D/A built into the Behringer MS40s. Thus, I would connect to them via the Quantum's Main L/R (analog) outputs.

The signal leaving the Quantum has to be converted to analog (either thru the Quantum's onboard D/A... or via the MS40's D/A), so latency difference is going to be moot.
Quantum offers extremely low round-trip latency (regardless of what you use for A/D D/A - onboard or outboard).

Best Regards,
Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
[email protected]
by BondiDaniele on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:39 pm
Hi all,
I'm struggling with the choice of my midi controller and Lancerosco says that he succeded in connecting his own controller to Quantum.
I thianks that my setup could be similar; my setup is 32Gb PC Windows10, with Titan-Ridge card and Presonus Quantum audio interface connected to PC via Thunderbolt. My software is Studio One Professional last version 4.6. I’m searching on the network in order to buy a midi controller but I see that a lot of controllers must be connected to PC only using USB.
I’m a little bit ignorant about connections; I figured out to connect the midi controller to Quantum Midi In and Midi Out because I thought that this MIDI connection could be faster and more “natural” …
In my opinion, to connect a USB Midi controller to Studio One via USB, I need:
1) to get a driver software released by the manufacturer of the controller
2) to let Studio One learn how to manage correctly this driver and, by consequence, the controller
Anyway I think that these software layers, could give less performances respect to Midi+TB
Till now, I’ve found the Novation Impulse 61 that has Midi In/Out, the Alesis VI61 that has only Midi Out, and others midi controllers more expensive but with the Midi In/Out.
Looking to the “External Hardware setup” in Studio One I see that S1 provide setup for M-Audio, Native, Akai and other manufacturers with USB models.
I’m very confused…...so I need help….. Can please someone, who owns Presonus Quantum interface on a PC Win10, kindly suggest what type of Midi Controller could be better for me…..MIDI or USB connection ?
Thank you to all for your help.

Daniele

3 posts
Page 1 of 1