Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to drop a note and say that the Quantum is working well with Asus Thunderbolt-3 controllers... using the Apple Thunderbolt-3>Thunderbolt-2 adapter.

I know Presonus recommends the Startech adapter, but the Apple adapter works well in this combination.

On lighter projects, audio plays completely glitch-free at a 16-sample ASIO buffer size.

Best Regards,
Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
[email protected]
by AnthemMakersMusic on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:24 am
I have a question can you daisy chain a uad satellite 2 thunderbolt DSP processor to the quantums extra thunderbolt port? Thunderbolt is thunderbolt right? I only have one port on the lap top and it's Alienware pc, or do I need a thunderbolt docking station with multiple thunderbolt bolt 3 ports?
Thanks any help would be nice! I don't think they intended cross platform use but it's a ring configuration so why wouldn't it work?
Marc
by Jim Roseberry on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:55 am
Hi Marc,

Yes, you can daisy-chain the UA Satellite to the Quantum's second Thunderbolt-2 port.
You can daisy-chain up to 7 devices.

I've got a UA Satellite daisy-chained on my main DAW.

Best Regards,
Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
[email protected]
by harryharris1 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:00 pm
I ended up getting an ASUS Zenbook Pro 2018 laptop with Windows 10 Pro 64 and the Quantum 2 interface. Updated the bios, UC and drivers etc. Purchased the Apple T2 -> T3 adapter. Upon the connecting the cables/adapter and powering up the Quantum 2 and then the laptop, I get only the red light on the power button of the Quantum. The UC shows no devices attached. I looked into the windows services and set the Presonus and Thunderbolt service both to automatic (delayed start). Again I went thru the procedure of power up and again go no attaching thunderbolt device and power light red. I then disconnected the T2 cable from the adapter and reconnected. The Quantum then went thru its blue light sequence and power light turned blue. UC shows Quantum device sync as well as the windows thunderbolt icon in tray. Both Reaper and Studio One show the ASIO quantum device and work as advertised.

Not sure why no thunderbolt handshake/sync when power up and the need to disconnect and reconnect the T2 cable. Your post of using the Apple adapter seemed to suggest it was working with ASUS drivers etc. I do not know the difference between the Apple adapter and the StarTech one. Any thoughts on this?
by Jim Roseberry on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:11 am
harryharris1 wroteI ended up getting an ASUS Zenbook Pro 2018 laptop with Windows 10 Pro 64 and the Quantum 2 interface. Updated the bios, UC and drivers etc. Purchased the Apple T2 -> T3 adapter. Upon the connecting the cables/adapter and powering up the Quantum 2 and then the laptop, I get only the red light on the power button of the Quantum. The UC shows no devices attached. I looked into the windows services and set the Presonus and Thunderbolt service both to automatic (delayed start). Again I went thru the procedure of power up and again go no attaching thunderbolt device and power light red. I then disconnected the T2 cable from the adapter and reconnected. The Quantum then went thru its blue light sequence and power light turned blue. UC shows Quantum device sync as well as the windows thunderbolt icon in tray. Both Reaper and Studio One show the ASIO quantum device and work as advertised.

Not sure why no thunderbolt handshake/sync when power up and the need to disconnect and reconnect the T2 cable. Your post of using the Apple adapter seemed to suggest it was working with ASUS drivers etc. I do not know the difference between the Apple adapter and the StarTech one. Any thoughts on this?

Typically (when installing a Thunderbolt device), you need to open the Thunderbolt application... and make sure it's in the list. If it's not in the list, check cables. Now, click on the device (in this case "Presonus Audio Electronics, Quantum/2") and make sure to select Always Connect.
Once connected, the Connection Status field should say "Connected".
Once the Quantum is connected, open Universal Control... and adjust settings as desired.
Quantum is now ready to use.

Do these steps whenever attaching a new Thunderbolt device.
It's always worked for me... and we build a fair number of DAWs.

Best Regards,
Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
[email protected]
by harryharris1 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:02 pm
Thanks for your input. However I have done all those things and still the thunderbolt software does not recognize the Quantum 2 device on power up. I have tried all sorts of permutations and updates but nothing works using the Apple T2 to T3 adapter except upon power up of both Quantum 2 and the laptop I disconnect the T2 cable from the Apple adapter and then reconnect. The thunderbolt software then recognizes the device and things work normally. It will also work when I disconnect the power cable from the Quantum 2 and then reconnect. Something is not working on the power up sequence between the Quantum and the laptop. Have set to 'Always Connect' but does not effect the issue after power off and then back on again of the laptop. Maybe an issue with the Apple adapter and the laptop or Windows 10 Pro which is up to date. Going to try and Startech adapter in a couple of days and see if that fixes the issue.
by harryharris1 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm
After much testing and aggravation using the T2 to T3 Apple adapter and always having the issue with the startup I purchased the StarTech one. Replaced the adapter, fired up both Quantum and ASUS Zenbook Pro laptop . . . . . . . . everything worked and no issue! I think that the moral of the story here is if building a new DAW system and purchasing the Quantum device just get the StarTech adapter. I have read in some cases the Apple adapter worked but unless you know for sure that it will work in your situation or can get one to barrow and try out it is better to get the more expensive StarTech adapter ($40 vs $70). I never did find any info about what the actual circuit difference was between the 2 adapters. Both need bus power from the PC 'thunderbolt' USB-C port. The Startech one says it needs a full 15W in order to work properly. In any case if Presonus continues with the Quantum Thunderbolt series line their next version should be Thunderbolt 3 and not Thunderbolt 2 as is current. Since 2017 most laptops and boards that have Thunderbolt are T3 now. You then would not need the adapter, just one T3 cable.
by Jim Roseberry on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:30 am
harryharris1 wroteAfter much testing and aggravation using the T2 to T3 Apple adapter and always having the issue with the startup I purchased the StarTech one. Replaced the adapter, fired up both Quantum and ASUS Zenbook Pro laptop . . . . . . . . everything worked and no issue! I think that the moral of the story here is if building a new DAW system and purchasing the Quantum device just get the StarTech adapter. I have read in some cases the Apple adapter worked but unless you know for sure that it will work in your situation or can get one to barrow and try out it is better to get the more expensive StarTech adapter ($40 vs $70). I never did find any info about what the actual circuit difference was between the 2 adapters. Both need bus power from the PC 'thunderbolt' USB-C port. The Startech one says it needs a full 15W in order to work properly. In any case if Presonus continues with the Quantum Thunderbolt series line their next version should be Thunderbolt 3 and not Thunderbolt 2 as is current. Since 2017 most laptops and boards that have Thunderbolt are T3 now. You then would not need the adapter, just one T3 cable.

FWIW, We build custom machines... (I'm not particularly a fan of Apple)... but their TB3 to TB2 adapter has worked in every scenario we've tested (many different custom tower/rack/laptop configurations). In particular, with Asus' Thunderbolt EX3 controller and custom (Clevo based) laptop shells.

Best Regards,
Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
[email protected]
by fdeeptone on Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:00 pm
I just upgraded my old MacBook. It was firewire.
I tried th adapter approac
h with my firewire 16.0.2. No luck.i bought a usb 16.0.2. The usb on the mac is 3 the usb on 16.0.2 is
2.0. I had to get an adapter. After many frustrating attempts the new usb 16.0.2 is not recognized by studio one or my macbook pro. Not sure what else to do here.ive had a 16.0.2 for 8 years. No issues until I needed to upgrade my comp.ready to return the board and computer at this point. I understand the root of this evil is apple.id like to destroy that mfg. Any suggestions?

9 posts
Page 1 of 1