Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
So, I have a Quantum, which I really like, only thing is, when adding an Aggregate device, the Stereo Channels are moved on by one. Basically I have the Quantum first, then a Roland System 1m Synth after it. I'm using a Mac and because of the "TalkBack" input on channel 27 (Input 27) the first available input for the Roland is 28....fine if I want it in Mono. but if I want it in stereo, i need it to use Input 28 and 29...thing is, the proper stereo input as a pair would be either 27-28 or 29-30.

I'm using Logic Pro X and can't seem how to figure out how to do it...It seems, the single TalkBack channel is offsetting the channels by 1...Can an update be added to remove it or to make input 28 the same as 27, to move it along 1?

iMac 2017 - 3.5ghz - I5 - 24gb RAM - OSX Sierra
by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:46 pm
Specs in the signature, please. Assume you are on a Mac?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by jamesmorden on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:11 am
jpettit wroteSpecs in the signature, please. Assume you are on a Mac?

Yes, sorry, i don't know where the Signature settings are.

It's a 2017 iMac 3.5ghz running OSX Sierra with 24gb RAM. I've got an old MOTU 8 Pre that i've connected up and still has the same issue of inputs for stereo pairs being offset by 1.

Have done a couple of screenshots to show what I mean. Talkback, which is 1 channel, is taking up the left side of a stereo pair and offsetting all the concurrent pairs by 1.

Screenshots - https://imgur.com/a/QGJ5j

by jamesmorden on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:24 am
I guess the easiest thing would be to disable the TalkBack channel. I have no need for it as I'm Synth based and don't record Vocals/Musicians. If there was a button underneath "TalkBack" that disables it, that would change the amount of inputs to an even number.

I suppose if you were daisy chaining more than one Quantum but needed only stereo pairs, not mono, then this wouls also be an issue for some? I only use Line Ins and don't use the Mic Pre's (XLR) at all...Just stereo pairs from a PatchBay.

by jamesmorden on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 am
Having looked around, there doesn't seem to be many odd numbered audio interfaces out there, i mean with an odd number of inputs, as the Quantum is (27)...Most have an even number that I can find.

Basically I have a lot of Synths, so I use the 8 Line Ins of the Quantum coming from a Patchbay and I use 2 Behringer ADA8200 over ADAT, 1 is for Send/Returns of 4 FX Pedals and the other, is used for 4 Synths in Stereo.

So when setting up in Logic, stereo pairs are 1-2, 3-4, 5-6...and so on, up until 25-26 and then it goes 27 - 28...27 is the TalkBack and 28 is the left channel of a Synth...next pair is 29 - 30, but is the right channel of 1 Synth and left channel of another, respectively...I can't seem to get around it.

I've thought, if I can find a single channel audio interface, that is just mono and use it as an aggregate device as well (so there would be 3 in total) then I could have 1 to 27 being the Quantum, 28 being the mono device and 29 onwards, the MOTU...

Would be easier though if Talkback could be disables or is duplicated to make channel 28...

by jpettit on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:43 pm
Looks like you are working on it, but you can also create a support ticket.

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by jamesmorden on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 am
Well, I got a IK Guitar Rig HD, but sadly shows up as 2 inputs. As I said before, the Talkback channel needs to have an option to disable it. I thought about getting a Quantum 2 to add to my Quantum but it would still be the same problem with that.

Needs a fix.

by jpettit on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am
Can you please, in as precise and few words re-explain the issue to put it in a form submitable to a developer?

by jamesmorden on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 am
I'm not sure how to break it down further, only that I use the interface for Stereo Pairs.

Intaed of thinking of the individual Analogue inputs and individual ADAT inputs, see them as Stereo Pairs.

The analogue Inputs are Stereo Pairs 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 (With the odd number being the left channel and the even number being the right channel of a stereo pair.

The ADAT inputs continue the Stereo Pairs as 9-10, 11-12...all the way through to the final pair which is 25-26.

All of that above works fine and shows up in Logic Pro.

The problem happens, when I want to add an Aggregate device to increase the number of inputs, to go beyond what I can add with the Quantum.

The Quantum has a 'Hidden' mono channel, which is the TalkBack channel on input 27. If this didn't exist, I could add another audio device, so it could continue with Stereo Pairs 27-28, 29-30 and so on...This way, it will show up correctly as Stereo Pairs in Logic (or any DAW)

What happens though, is the TalkBack channel inserts a mono channel, that knocks the stereo sequence off by 1, so instead of the additional audio device starting from 27-28, it has to start from 28-29...this cannot be done in a Logic unless I set up 2 mono Audio channels, because the stereo pair sequence is off by one.

If the TalkBack channel could be disabled so the last input channel for the Quantum ends at 26, then this would work.

by jpettit on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 am
Ok that is clear.
Send a ticket to support ( with that explanation) and create an FR to add that ability.

by thefishman77 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:13 pm
I’m having a very similar issue. It started as a problem with Ableton Live, but I believe it’s stemming from the odd number of inputs. I have a very similar setup. 2017 MacBook Pro, Quantum, and 1 ADA8000 hooked to a bunch of synths. I’m using it as an agregate device with an Expert Sleepers ES-8 which results in the stereo pairs bring all messed up.
I’m curious, have you figured out a way to fix this? Thanks!
Adam

11 posts
Page 1 of 1