Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
19 posts
Page 1 of 1
Contemplating on buying this, but wonder how no latency direct monitoring is done? There is no mixer software that bypasses the interface…? If direct monitoring is not possible when I have to use high latency due to many tracks this could be a problem.

MacMini M2 Pro
Memory: 16 GB
OS X latest version
Apollo X6 Thunderbolt
Studio One Pro latest version

https://open.spotify.com/album/5DQ0uQnTPGAQH4rmaNboE8?si=DH54HeplSO2hVxPFLmUVNQ
by jpettit on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:19 pm
This is what 3.5 DP was implemented for.

2 ms latency response with native plugin-ins on input all while playing back 100s of tracks.

The wave of the future.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Robert Johnson III on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:43 pm
Yes, but this means that if I’m using REAPER or Logic there is no way to get no (or low) latency monitoring when the track count is to high for a low latency setting?

MacMini M2 Pro
OS X latest version
Apollo X6 Thunderbolt

by jpettit on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:32 pm
Well you can get down to 16 buffers on other DAWs too but if you want it keep it there no matter many tracks you need a duel buffer DAW like S1 3.5.

I.e. The point of 3.5

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Robert Johnson III on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:39 am
Thanks for the info! I always have to bump-up the latency to at least 1024 when approaching the mixing stage and I’m also still recording. This (for me) makes the Quantum a viable option only in conjunction with S1 3.5. A simple direct monitoring option would be great for users who are working in an other DAW.

MacMini M2 Pro
OS X latest version
Apollo X6 Thunderbolt

by jpettit on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:55 pm
Might I suggest a much less expensive audio box for that. It has direct monitoring if you don't need Plugins on the input.

by TNM on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:09 am
jpettit wroteWell you can get down to 16 buffers on other DAWs too but if you want it keep it there no matter many tracks you need a duel buffer DAW like S1 3.5.

I.e. The point of 3.5

You do realise that S1 is the last daw out of ALL of them to implement this.. I was screaming for it from V1 and V2 when i was on beta team, and even V3 had terrible performance.. my demo has run out but i wish i could test 3.5.1 to see what a difference it makes.

I couldn't stop cracking up up when I saw in a post above, " wave of the future" lol, as logic has been doing this for almost 20 years as have magix.. both emagic and magix pioneered the dual buffer system.

In logic it's a lot easier than hitting a Z though.. you do get three sizes to choose from, small (512) medium (1024) and large (2048).

If a track is record armed or an instrument track highlighted, they are put on the low latency buffer chosen in audio preferences.. Once they are no longer armed they are shuffled to a high latency playback buffer for cpu gains. It's all completely set and forget and you never have to remember to turn it off or on. And for some reason, presonus add a high latency to VSTI playing when this mode is activated.. i do not understand it at all.. For example if i have 32 buffer selected as my main buffer, when in Z mode, the output latency (i.e the time it takes to press keyboard to hearing vsti play), even when in the LOWEST Z mode, is higher than if it was deactivated. This does NOT happen in Logic or PT or Cubase ;) Just FYI. I can't seem to get lower than 6ms for my VI playing in S1 prime.. in Logic if i have 32 buffer, my VI playing is 3ms.

Unlike Logic however, S1 can not do it when the cpu is very high, it still crackles and pops. Logic's meters go totally off the scale and still work without clicks and pops. I have been watching many 3.5 videos on YT :) I might make a second account to re download a demo or ask presonus for a second go.

Pro tools implemented this 4 years ago with version 11, reaper for many many years, Cubase since V7 with asio guard, and so on. I am not sure about sonar though however, S1 is very, VERY late to the party and catching up on the PAST to finally offer decent performance (particularly on mac) :)

PS on my retina 2015 2.8ghz quad i7 macbook pro, (8 thread), with 64 sample buffer checked (internal core audio driver) and Z mode at high, cpu still goes nuts on studio one PRIME.. which is the only one i can use at present (using the presence instrument playing strings).. therefore i can't test with 3rd party plugins at this time. But Pro tools on the very same machine (PT 12) is giving me exceptional performance at 32 or 64 buffer.

14900K/128gb Ram//Win 11 Pro/Motu 828 MK5/S1 6.5x
by lawrencefarr on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:44 am
Yes, dual latency audio engines have been around for awhile.

Having said that, I'm not sure if any of the others strictly enforce or cap audio latency like 3.5, forcing 3 ms max for audio plugins and kind of acting like ASIO DM for monitoring with audio, feeding semi-directly to a hardware output. In that regard this design may be somewhat new-ish, as evidenced by some of the subsequent growing pains.

Studio One Technical Support | QA
------------------------------------------------
Issue Reporting Add-On - Version 4.3.0
------------------------------------------------
Kontakt 6 | MOTU Mach 5 | Spitfire BBCSO Core & Albion One | Cinematic Studio Solo Strings | Vienna Synchron Prime | Cinesamples Musio | NI Session Horns Pro | Toontrack EZ Drummer, EZ Bass,& EZ Keys | Relab LX480 Complete | Soundtoys Little Plate & Echoboy
by h_razack on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm
I'm still trying to figure if getting the quantum will enhance the workflow in my case.

If I understand correctly, the new native low latency in Studio One can get near zero latency with most interfaces.

I've tried it with an old M-Audio (USB) and it worked fine. I've also tried it (for fun) with an UA Apollo Firewire (bypassing the UA Console mixer), and it worked too. The CPU was spiking a little bit when I engaged the green Z button, but it worked - no cracking at all even with heavy plugins on the input channel (like the Slate SGear) and other tracks playing.

What then would be the advantage of the Quantum's low latency? Would it be just less CPU spikes thanks to Thunderbolt?
by Skip Jones on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:52 pm
Yes, there is a distinct advantage. No there is more. This conversation is getting off track.

The Quantum will not enhance your workflow, that's up to you. What it will do is enhance throughput.

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by h_razack on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm
Skip Jones wroteYes, there is a distinct advantage. No there is more. This conversation is getting off track.

The Quantum will not enhance your workflow, that's up to you. What it will do is enhance throughput.

Let me start by saying that I appreciate people who take the time to answer questions on forums. It is not something I take for granted.

However, this was a rather cranky-sounding reply, which was neither justified or helpful for anyone or the thread. I'm hoping that it's perhaps the tone of voice that did not translate very well in writing, rather than just being rude.

As this is a thread about direct monitoring, a question about monitoring seems appropriate. If there is a better place to ask this question I'm happy to get politely redirected - but not waved off unnecessarily and uncourteously.

Regarding my comment about the workflow, the Quantum *will* enhance my workflow if CPU usage while monitoring is well handled by the interface (since I won't have to disable plugins on other tracks when I record or monitor - among other things). It is not just "up to me", and it is very relevant to the discussion at hand.

So, let's rewind and try again: I'm very interested in the Quantum because of its integration with Studio One, its simplified routing, and especially for the potential improvement in monitoring workflow.

My question therefore is: since Studio One 3.5 achieves native low latency monitoring with most audio interfaces (thanks to the dual buffer functionality), what is the distinct advantage of the Quantum in that regard? Is it that you can achieve low latency without even using the green Z functionality? Or is it that the thunderbolt drivers result in less CPU usage while monitoring with the green Z?

Looking forward to a more respectful interaction,

Hubert.
by jpettit on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:48 pm
h_razack wroteI'm still trying to figure if getting the quantum will enhance the workflow in my case.

1 If I understand correctly, the new native low latency in Studio One can get near zero latency with most interfaces.

I've tried it with an old M-Audio (USB) and it worked fine. I've also tried it (for fun) with an UA Apollo Firewire (bypassing the UA Console mixer), and it worked too. The CPU was spiking a little bit when I engaged the green Z button, but it worked - no cracking at all even with heavy plugins on the input channel (like the Slate SGear) and other tracks playing.

2 What then would be the advantage of the Quantum's low latency? Would it be just less CPU spikes thanks to Thunderbolt?

1) This is not correct. NLLM / Dropout protection does not make an interface any faster than it is. That is up to the device drivers of the interface.

2) 1 MS

NLLM alows plugins like amp simulation to be on the input so the Quantum’s response is as close as you can get to a real amp. Soft synth have a the same response as hardware synth.

That’s it.

by ennbr on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:02 am
Has anyone here looked at the new Motu 828se same price range as the Quantum with the same features. They advertise 1.6ms latency although I'm seeing 1.67 in Studio One on my Motu 1248 another great choice both with Thunderbolt. I've had my 1248 for almost 2 years now with no regrets.

I'd at least checkout the competition and I'm not affiliated with Motu just a happy customer....

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD
by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:34 pm
ennbr wroteHas anyone here looked at the new Motu 828se same price range as the Quantum with the same features. They advertise 1.6ms latency although I'm seeing 1.67 in Studio One on my Motu 1248 another great choice both with Thunderbolt. I've had my 1248 for almost 2 years now with no regrets.

I'd at least checkout the competition and I'm not affiliated with Motu just a happy customer....

Yes good to do.
However, the Quantum is going to be integrated so you have control over preamps and output options for the same price.

by danaharlow1 on Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:09 pm
Robert Johnson III wroteContemplating on buying this, but wonder how no latency direct monitoring is done? There is no mixer software that bypasses the interface…? If direct monitoring is not possible when I have to use high latency due to many tracks this could be a problem.

Hello,
I'd like to guide anyone who's interested, through the zero latency direct input monitoring process for the Quantum using Pro Tools as your DAW...

I've read a lot of frustration that folks have been having with latency and the Quantum and Pro Tools. Hopefully this will solve the issue and reduce frustration.

Let's get started -
It's all in the Routing and using Presonus Universal Control along with Pro Tools...
There's a few small steps that I'll walk through...

I've included some screenshots of the process as a guide...

In just a few clicks, you'll be monitoring your Quantum input source through Pro Tools with Zero Latency.

Step 1
If you haven't, download and install Presonus Universal Control, you need it. Turn on Quantum and make sure it's connected. Open Presonus Universal Control. Click on the Gear/Utility tab in the upper right corner.
Locate "Playback Stream" in the menu, choose "Headphones 1 /Left and Headphones 1 Right" from the dropdown Playback Stream menu.
Click on Gear/Utility tab to close...

Step 2
Click on the Quantum Interface image in the window, this will open the Universal Control Mixer and Routing Window. Click on "Adat" if you have additional preamps connected to Quantum. On the bottom right of mixer window you will see "Headphone Source" option menu. Click on the first HP1 dropdown and select "Phones 1". If you will need two Headphones for monitoring the same source, select "Phones 1" from HP2 dropdown menu as well.

Step 3
Open Pro Tools and create an Audio track. Go to track input and select Quantum Input 1 from input dropdown menu. If you do not have your inputs renamed as Quantum 1, etc., renaming them in I/O Setup will be helpful. Go to track output - Select "HP1 (Stereo)" from output dropdown menu.
Now Click/Select the Input Monitoring "I" button, it will turn green

Step 4
Plug headphones into Headphones 1 on Quantum. Make sure you are receiving input signal to track. Now talk into Mic or play instrument and turn up Headphone 1 volume as appropriate.

Zero Latency

Step 5
If you have a click track or backing track that is needed for a recording reference, select "HP1 (stereo)" as the output on these tracks as well. To listen to playback after recording, de-select the green Input Monitoring button and playback recording. You may mute the click track at this time if necessary.

Step 6
When recording is done and you no longer need to input monitor, change the output on each track that has "HP1 (stereo)" to another output/bus as needed.

Good luck and enjoy the Quantum with Pro Tools

Attachments
Quantum - Direct Monitoring PT 6.png
Quantum - Direct Monitoring PT 5.png
Quantum - Direct Monitoring PT 4.png
Quantum - Direct Monitoring PT 3.png
Quantum - Direct Monitoring PT 2.png
Quantum - Direct Monitoring PT 1.png
by danaharlow1 on Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:03 am
And, of course, lower buffer size...
by hugolosker on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:00 pm
ennbr wroteHas anyone here looked at the new Motu 828se same price range as the Quantum with the same features. They advertise 1.6ms latency although I'm seeing 1.67 in Studio One on my Motu 1248 another great choice both with Thunderbolt. I've had my 1248 for almost 2 years now with no regrets.

Motus its a thunderbolt 2 and quantum 2626 its a thunderbolt 3
by hugolosker on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:11 pm
h_razack wrote
Skip Jones wroteYes, there is a distinct advantage. No there is more. This conversation is getting off track.

Let me start by saying that I appreciate people who take the time to answer questions on forums. It is not something I take for granted.

However, this was a rather cranky-sounding reply, which was neither justified or helpful for anyone or the thread. I'm hoping that it's perhaps the tone of voice that did not translate very well in writing, rather than just being rude.

As this is a thread about direct monitoring, a question about monitoring seems appropriate. If there is a better place to ask this question I'm happy to get politely redirected - but not waved off unnecessarily and uncourteously.

Regarding my comment about the workflow, the Quantum *will* enhance my workflow if CPU usage while monitoring is well handled by the interface (since I won't have to disable plugins on other tracks when I record or monitor - among other things). It is not just "up to me", and it is very relevant to the discussion at hand.

So, let's rewind and try again: I'm very interested in the Quantum because of its integration with Studio One, its simplified routing, and especially for the potential improvement in monitoring workflow.

My question therefore is: since Studio One 3.5 achieves native low latency monitoring with most audio interfaces (thanks to the dual buffer functionality), what is the distinct advantage of the Quantum in that regard? Is it that you can achieve low latency without even using the green Z functionality? Or is it that the thunderbolt drivers result in less CPU usage while monitoring with the green Z?

Looking forward to a more respectful interaction,

Hubert.

Quantum 2626 can make lees than 1ms round trip latency with or without green Z.

If you understand how to configure interface and a daw you can do in any daw! Set a lower buffer size and test yourself with all channels on record and monitoring...
by marcussannig on Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:43 pm
I miss direct monitoring too - i use abelton and lot of compression on my tracks /audio bus (which creates a lot of latency)- recording additional instruments in this context is suboptimal. I tend to create stems - and record additonal tracks in the stems project. So if this is a critical point, and you dont like the suggested workaround - stay away from interfaces without this capability.

19 posts
Page 1 of 1