Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Quite a few manufacturers of other Audio interfaces do not bundle a thunderbolt cable with their interface. Will Presonus buck the trend with the Quantum?
Will the Quantum work with a thunderbolt 2 add in card?
by matthewgorman on Wed May 10, 2017 2:54 pm
I can't answer the cable question, however its not unprecedented for it to be left out. It may be the same case as buying a DP88, where the adat and bnc cabling was not included.

Regarding the card. Its not like getting a firewire or usb expansion card. The motherboard has to support it, bios updated for that support, etc. There are specific add on cards per mobo that would work if all conditions are met. The Quantum will work with any TB certified mobo. This is regarding the pc platform specifically. Its also important to note, only Windows 10 has native support for TB.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by MY on Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 am
Hey @matt

So if I'm reading you correctly, even if someone has a Mobo that support Thunderbolt but if he's running Win7 then he's screwed right? Just trying to figure out because I'm about to upgrade my soundcard as I sold my Zen Studio (and kept my beloved RME Multiface that never let me down for years) and I'm looking to either get Quantum (as unfortunately haven't been successful on getting on board in the Hardware BETA TEAM after many attempt with no response lol) or get a new Antelope soundcard with their new built-in era of plugins DSP and this way i'd stay with USB or go back to a new RME.

Thanks for any confirmation amigo ;-)

Peace

​Moilim Yacoub (MY)
​Music Producer / Mix Engineer / Entrepreneur

Win 7 Pro x64 -16 gigs Ram - Intel Core i7 2600 @3.40Ghz / Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / Soundcard: 1st Generation RME Hammerfall DSP & Antelope Zen Studio (All up-to-date drivers)
Macbook Pro (13", Mid 2012) / 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5 / 4GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 / Graphics: Intel HD 4000 1024MB
by matthewgorman on Fri May 26, 2017 9:16 am
Not screwed per se, but just another layer of complexity when you don't have native OS support for TB. There is always a potential for a 3rd party TB driver to not play nice in a pro audio environment.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by jpettit on Fri May 26, 2017 9:40 am
MY wroteHey @matt

So if I'm reading you correctly, even if someone has a Mobo that support Thunderbolt but if he's running Win7 then he's screwed right? Just trying to figure out because I'm about to upgrade my soundcard as I sold my Zen Studio (and kept my beloved RME Multiface that never let me down for years) and I'm looking to either get Quantum (as unfortunately haven't been successful on getting on board in the Hardware BETA TEAM after many attempt with no response lol) or get a new Antelope soundcard with their new built-in era of plugins DSP and this way i'd stay with USB or go back to a new RME.

Thanks for any confirmation amigo ;-)

Peace

MY, which MB?
Look into how up to date their TB drivers are.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by MY on Fri May 26, 2017 2:37 pm
I have an old one mate, I think it's an ASUS PBP67 wondering if this will handle AsusThunderboltEX 3...??? Thats the question, otherwise, QUANTUM won't be for me right as it's not the right timing, in terms of work to change or upgrade my computer. I'm planning to do so in September this year but not right away. Really wish Presonus would have also include UBS3 & Thuderbolt in quantum. Just like RME did, giving the user the CHOICE

​Moilim Yacoub (MY)

Win 7 Pro x64 -16 gigs Ram - Intel Core i7 2600 @3.40Ghz / Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / Soundcard: 1st Generation RME Hammerfall DSP & Antelope Zen Studio (All up-to-date drivers)
Macbook Pro (13", Mid 2012) / 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5 / 4GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 / Graphics: Intel HD 4000 1024MB
by jpettit on Fri May 26, 2017 3:38 pm
Does not look like the MB supports Thunderbolt.
I would stick with RME

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by MY on Fri May 26, 2017 4:44 pm
jpettit wroteDoes not look like the MB supports Thunderbolt.
I would stick with RME

I still got my RME that I love and I had my Zen Studio first gen that I sold. Now I need to upgrade with something that I can easily also bring to remote because I'm about to start a big project with an artist from a big known name in the world and that needs me to get something super rock solid. I love RME but I also love Antelope stuff especially with their buitl-in DPS FX (not that it's a must have but they can be very handy) especially tracking guitars players and love their RE-AMP add-ons. and in terms of Price, the latest UFX+ compare to New Zen Studio+ Or Orion Studio Rev, RME price is freaking high but I'll see. I got 2 weeks to decide before jumping into the full 1month and half production sessions.

Glad that S1 V3.5 is already out. :thumbup:

​Moilim Yacoub (MY)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1