Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I have two Quantum interfaces, a 4848 and Quantum 2, w2hich worked flawlessly with the rack mount W10 (upgraded to W11) that I built. I moved from Cali to Oregon (bought property with an outbuilding that I want to convert to a studio), so I purchased a Dell XPS 13 with a TB 4 connection. I was using the Startech adapters to interface between the rackmount PC (I don't have the model of the MB handy, but it had a TB 3 header, so I installed a TB 3 card) and everything worked perfectly, giving me a ridiculous amount of IO. My DAW is Studio One 6. I was previously using AVID software and HW (Protools HD and with a PCIe process card), which was also almost zero latency, but I got sick of the over priced HW and software, so sold everything and moved to Presonus TB interfaces and software.
Now, I wish I would have kept the Avid stuff.
I also have a UAD Apollo Twin X, that I was using with the new laptop. Since it is TB3, interfaces with the TB4 connection on the XPS13, without issue. I decided to drag my Dangerous 2bus LT in, so I could have a summing box for my "bedroom" projects, and decided to daisy chain the Quantum 2 so it would provide multi out to feed the 2bus LT. Thi9s is when I discovered that TB2 and TB4 are not compatible, and apparently never will be.
I went down the internet rabbit hole to see if there was a any solution...as far as I have seen, there is not.
I have a couple of racks full of great pre's, comps, EQ's, etc, that I connected to the 4848 via patch bays, and it was a fantastic solution. Now, unless I continue to use the same rack mount PC I built, which is about 5 years old now, these amazing, cost effective interfaces are effectively paperweights. I ended up buying a used Apollo X6, that I daisy chain to the Twin, which almost gives me enough outputs to connect to the 2bus LT (14 vs 16), but I am severely disappointed that Presonus (now owned by Fender) seemed to come up with the solution of simply discontinuing a fantastic product that had rave reviews from the recording community. I have been singing the praises of the Presonus ecosystem to all of my friends who are Avid users (one owns and operates a pretty well known studio in Northern Cali), but now feel like Presonus has simply changed their marketing focus to podcasting and entry level users, in terms of the interfaces they offer. If anyone at Presonus is reading this, it would be nice if you didn't abandon the users that bought these interfaces, and at least let the public know if there is anything in the future to replace these no useless interfaces.
by tomedwards2 on Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:36 am
Apologies for the spelling errors 😔
by ianaeillo on Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:42 pm
I feel the same way. I went to buy a 4848 after spending a few years with my quantum only to find out they were no longer made and INSANELY hard to find on the used market. It really bothered me. I ended up with a few ferrofish A32 and another quantum; but it doesn’t make up for the fact that they discontinued the very under-the-radar Digimax DP88 and the quantum 4848 with no replacements. I’m using a 10 year old monster iMac that I don’t plan on ever replacing, but I will have to someday. And while I work out a facility that uses Metric Halo gear, I’m not ready to spend what is necessary to buy the 52 channels of io I’m currently working with in MH Land for my home mix room.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by ianaeillo on Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:43 pm
That said, let me know if you want to move the 4848.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by TerjeNorway on Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:41 am
You have to use a thunderbolt 3 dock as a workaround on thunderbolt 4 when using Presonus thunderbolt 2 devices. Something like this on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325430276233?hash=item4bc527f089:g:9~UAAOSwy5VjeDbK&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAJwZgNLVN%2F94Xy8AlfDvKR5Xrf5E%2BhS1wQUEdqsBpgGpIWG6dqUvmbckvfrcMqYeOTeTLKBFvFBqSa4LcyI8vgnw9h2T%2FgfpRRW8HCUo5XLRzKtHGNNxONVajCDZy9EHgqXMph3r4ulVZm8qEytock%2F0iCYgDmWUwaPNfVrunqqWEzszyuoXO7nCEgXXEZ2bQDAwUz7S8bzKTGjTyortQatACm2lOW6kpdMJPf259zaVFnNXlqjxQtz76NyAdcJL9HGTG%2FNIJt8%2FqcopWDZx%2B1Mbhu1KbGUBzr8dK2TYjtfFGt9EhylnIR6GTtBhzcS998UqdwutQRVlCfvaBMfPtbE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM1u-5lspi

Basically you send the thunderbolt 2 signal into the dock (using the adapter) to get a thunderbolt 3 signal out from the dock then into pc (this thunderbolt 3 cable is included in the dock).

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by tomedwards2 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:56 am
TerjeNorway wroteYou have to use a thunderbolt 3 dock as a workaround on thunderbolt 4 when using Presonus thunderbolt 2 devices. Something like this on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325430276233?hash=item4bc527f089:g:9~UAAOSwy5VjeDbK&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAJwZgNLVN%2F94Xy8AlfDvKR5Xrf5E%2BhS1wQUEdqsBpgGpIWG6dqUvmbckvfrcMqYeOTeTLKBFvFBqSa4LcyI8vgnw9h2T%2FgfpRRW8HCUo5XLRzKtHGNNxONVajCDZy9EHgqXMph3r4ulVZm8qEytock%2F0iCYgDmWUwaPNfVrunqqWEzszyuoXO7nCEgXXEZ2bQDAwUz7S8bzKTGjTyortQatACm2lOW6kpdMJPf259zaVFnNXlqjxQtz76NyAdcJL9HGTG%2FNIJt8%2FqcopWDZx%2B1Mbhu1KbGUBzr8dK2TYjtfFGt9EhylnIR6GTtBhzcS998UqdwutQRVlCfvaBMfPtbE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM1u-5lspi

Basically you send the thunderbolt 2 signal into the dock (using the adapter) to get a thunderbolt 3 signal out from the dock then into pc (this thunderbolt 3 cable is included in the dock).

Do have proof of concept for this workaround? Can you show a video of this setup working? This would be a life saver if it's true! I have tried adapters, docking stations, nothing that I have tired will recognize the TB 2 connection, even with the TB 3 adapter. Everything I have read online indicates TB 4 is not backwards compatible to TB2, no matter what.
by TerjeNorway on Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:10 am
I have not testet it myself since I have thunderbolt 3 on motherboard. I read about the workaround some place on the Presonus forum but it seems to be gone by now. I cannot guarantee anything but it seems like a logical reasonble workaround. (Seems like the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter only changes the plug not the signal. Still a thunderbolt 2 signal. While the dock changes the signal from a thunderbolt 2 to a true thunderbolt 3 signal. I'm guessing but maybe that is the reason.)

That Dell dock I linked to is pretty cheap so maybe worth a try. You can always sell the dock again if it don't work. If you decide to try it please post the result here.

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by tomedwards2 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:41 am
TerjeNorway wroteI have not testet it myself since I have thunderbolt 3 on motherboard. I read about the workaround some place on the Presonus forum but it seems to be gone by now. I cannot guarantee anything but it seems like a logical reasonble workaround. (Seems like the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter only changes the plug not the signal. Still a thunderbolt 2 signal. While the dock changes the signal from a thunderbolt 2 to a true thunderbolt 3 signal. I'm guessing but maybe that is the reason.)

That Dell dock I linked to is pretty cheap so maybe worth a try. You can always sell the dock again if it don't work. If you decide to try it please post the result here.

It doesn't work. I have a TB 3 dock (powered), and tried plugging the Quantum in to the dock with the Startech TB 2 to TB 3 adapter, then adapter into the TB 4 port on the XPS 13. Not recognized in the Universal Control ap
by TerjeNorway on Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:18 am
tomedwards2 wroteIt doesn't work. I have a TB 3 dock (powered), and tried plugging the Quantum in to the dock with the Startech TB 2 to TB 3 adapter, then adapter into the TB 4 port on the XPS 13. Not recognized in the Universal Control ap

Strange maybe the workaround does not work anymore. What is the name of the dock? Presonus use to have the workaround posted here but is now edited without the dock solution:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406516070541-Quantum-Thunderbolt-4-Crashing-Issues-with-Windows-Systems

Maybe this solution will not work with the newest Universal Control/drivers and you must use an older driver for the workaround to work. Or change some bios settings I don't know. I find it strange that this workaround suddenly stopped working. Why?
- A windows update
- A bios update
- A Universal Control update
- Thunderbolt driver update

I'm 100% sure this worked like half a year ago cause it was posted by Presonus as a workaround.

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by benackerman1 on Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:35 pm
As far as I'm aware, even the hub solution won't work. As of Thunderbolt firmware NVM 36, Intel killed TB1/2 compatibility stone dead. That's right, well over a year after the availability of TB4 hardware that featured functional backwards compatibility, Intel went out of their way to make it not work anymore.

It makes me quite angry. Whatever their reason was for doing this, it was handled terribly. The correct solution would be to add a "legacy support" option in the BIOS with a warning about "security" and "we don't officially support TB1/2, so YMMV", instead of just slamming the door shut on any potential upgrade path for anyone using such hardware, and essentially bricking expensive audio workstations long after the fact.

I'm currently using a Quantum 4848 on an Alienware 13 R3 laptop via a CableMatters TB3-TB2 adapter and it works great. I am however at the point where I'd like to build a new desktop. Intel, with this move which I will generously describe as "boneheaded", has rendered any upgrade path impossible. I'd love some way of retro-fitting TB3 to my Quantum 4848, or at least being able to get a TB3 variant, but I can't blame PreSonus too much here. Who is going to commit to adopting a standard whereby its main gatekeeper might just decide to go "yeah, we're gonna just nerf it and break all your stuff. Byeeee"?

To conclude, it was very difficult to express my feelings on this without the kind of language that would generally result in an immediate ban.
by TerjeNorway on Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:47 am
benackerman1 wroteAs far as I'm aware, even the hub solution won't work. As of Thunderbolt firmware NVM 36, Intel killed TB1/2 compatibility stone dead. That's right, well over a year after the availability of TB4 hardware that featured functional backwards compatibility, Intel went out of their way to make it not work anymore.

Thanks for the info. So basically you must find a way to go back to a thunderbolt firmware lower than NVM 36. I guess it is not the same on thunderbolt 3 cause I'm on NVM 50 and that works as intended ( even though I have had some blue screens with VERIFIER DMA VIOLATION warnings that I seems to have fixed with thunderbolt bios settings tweaks).
I hope someone find a easy way to downgrade thunderbolt firmware on thunderbolt 4 motherboards. I guess you have to downgrade the bios even with this warning: Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns.

So it seems like you basically have to find a way to go back to an early bios (before firmware NVM 36) then the workaround with the dock will work. From what I understand this can only be done on Z690 motherboards since those boards had NVM firmware earlier than firmware NVM 36. On a hackintosh forum I know people downgraded the Thunderbolt firmware NVM to 31 with a hack they received from ASUS.
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi can be downgraded to firmware NVM 31 with bios 9901 (a specials made bios). So basically the Hackintosh community can be the saver.

Would be a good idea to have a thread with tutorials how to downgrade bios/firmware on different Z690 motherboards. Seems like the only way to go if you wanna use new CPU's and motherboards on pc with thunderbolt 2 devices.

Attachments
QQ截图20230317180518.png

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by benackerman1 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:39 pm
TerjeNorway wroteI guess it is not the same on thunderbolt 3 cause I'm on NVM 50 and that works as intended ( even though I have had some blue screens with VERIFIER DMA VIOLATION warnings that I seems to have fixed with thunderbolt bios settings tweaks).

Indeed, this is the firmware for Intel's USB4/TB4 controller, the solution present in most cards and motherboards supporting TB4/USB4. ASMedia's USB4 controller might support TB2 and TB1 via its TB3 capabilities, but I've no idea about that.

TerjeNorway wroteWould be a good idea to have a thread with tutorials how to downgrade bios/firmware on different Z690 motherboards. Seems like the only way to go if you wanna use new CPU's and motherboards on pc with thunderbolt 2 devices.

It would be great if motherboard manufacturers could provide BIOS updates with the old NVM 31 thunderbolt firmware for those who need the compatibility, or if Intel could release a further update that adds a BIOS option to support it.
by tomedwards2 on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:29 am
Hoping to revive an old thread here? Wondering if anybody has heard any type of solution for this.
I still have a rack mount that I built with tb3, that will work with these interfaces, but I've now moved on to a mini PC and running Apollo thunderbolt interfaces
Very frustrating for me, because the quantum was a perfect solution for all my rack, mount preamps and compressors
If anybody knows of any solution to this problem, please post!
by benackerman1 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:32 pm
tomedwards2 wroteHoping to revive an old thread here? Wondering if anybody has heard any type of solution for this.
I still have a rack mount that I built with tb3, that will work with these interfaces, but I've now moved on to a mini PC and running Apollo thunderbolt interfaces
Very frustrating for me, because the quantum was a perfect solution for all my rack, mount preamps and compressors

In my search for some kind of solution, I discovered GigaByte's GC-Titan Ridge rev 1.0/2.0 TB3 cards actually officially support GigaByte's newer motherboards - there are B650 and X670 AM5 boards with TB headers that should work with these cards. However, the cards aren't manufactured anymore, and I had quite a time tracking one down. I managed to get one that was missing the header cable (which I'm confident I can cobble together).

As a quick test, I shoved it into the single PCIe 3 slot on the little PC I have set up in the living room. My expectations were low, but I didn't have anything else I could test it in so I thought I'd give it a try. The drivers installed, and the TB app reported two TB3 ports. I plugged in the Quantum via the adapter, installed the drivers, approved the connection and it reported the interface as connected and working. However, the Quantum thought otherwise as its TB indicator light was still flashing, and the PreSonus control panel showed nothing. I restarted the computer and during boot-up, the flashing light became solid and once booted to the desktop, the interface was completely functional. I went ahead and installed Reaper and MuLab to do some ASIO tests.

Now to be clear, this computer is a tiny Acer thing with a Core i5-6400T on an H110 chipset and one single PCIe 3.0x16 slot along its side. It's as light duty as a desktop can get; needless to say, it does not support nor is it intended to support Thunderbolt, and most certainly not a GigaByte TB card. Yet with the interface running at 96kHz and a block size of 32, Reaper played an audio test track without so much as a hint of a dropout, reporting a latency of ~0.4/0.5ms. MuLab wanted a little bit more of a buffer, but its demo project still played just fine with a latency that didn't even reach 2ms.

The caveat with that test setup is that if I shut that computer down, the next time I started it up the interface would do the flashy indicator thing again, and restarting the computer would once more allow the interface to work. I suspect this is due to the lack of TB header on the computer. I believe when Windows boots and starts activating all the hardware, the interface isn't yet available to the system as the TB card hasn't been initialized. Once it does initialize, the card sees the interface, but Windows had moved on and missed it. Upon rebooting, the card remains active as does the interface, and this time around Windows sees both and initializes them. ...I think. Speculation on my part.

I didn't go as far as to test hot-swapping or anything like that, it was a rather haphazard test setup and I didn't want to push my luck and end up breaking something; but to have achieved that level of functionality on something that was certainly not intended to have it was very encouraging. I'm going to build an AM5 system using a GigaByte B650 Aero G motherboard, which according to the site is officially supported.

That's basically where I am on this whole Thunderbolt merry-go-round.
by tomedwards2 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:48 pm
benackerman1 wrote
tomedwards2 wroteHoping to revive an old thread here? Wondering if anybody has heard any type of solution for this.

In my search for some kind of solution, I discovered GigaByte's GC-Titan Ridge rev 1.0/2.0 TB3 cards actually officially support GigaByte's newer motherboards - there are B650 and X670 AM5 boards with TB headers that should work with these cards. However, the cards aren't manufactured anymore, and I had quite a time tracking one down. I managed to get one that was missing the header cable (which I'm confident I can cobble together).

As a quick test, I shoved it into the single PCIe 3 slot on the little PC I have set up in the living room. My expectations were low, but I didn't have anything else I could test it in so I thought I'd give it a try. The drivers installed, and the TB app reported two TB3 ports. I plugged in the Quantum via the adapter, installed the drivers, approved the connection and it reported the interface as connected and working. However, the Quantum thought otherwise as its TB indicator light was still flashing, and the PreSonus control panel showed nothing. I restarted the computer and during boot-up, the flashing light became solid and once booted to the desktop, the interface was completely functional. I went ahead and installed Reaper and MuLab to do some ASIO tests.

Now to be clear, this computer is a tiny Acer thing with a Core i5-6400T on an H110 chipset and one single PCIe 3.0x16 slot along its side. It's as light duty as a desktop can get; needless to say, it does not support nor is it intended to support Thunderbolt, and most certainly not a GigaByte TB card. Yet with the interface running at 96kHz and a block size of 32, Reaper played an audio test track without so much as a hint of a dropout, reporting a latency of ~0.4/0.5ms. MuLab wanted a little bit more of a buffer, but its demo project still played just fine with a latency that didn't even reach 2ms.

The caveat with that test setup is that if I shut that computer down, the next time I started it up the interface would do the flashy indicator thing again, and restarting the computer would once more allow the interface to work. I suspect this is due to the lack of TB header on the computer. I believe when Windows boots and starts activating all the hardware, the interface isn't yet available to the system as the TB card hasn't been initialized. Once it does initialize, the card sees the interface, but Windows had moved on and missed it. Upon rebooting, the card remains active as does the interface, and this time around Windows sees both and initializes them. ...I think. Speculation on my part.

I didn't go as far as to test hot-swapping or anything like that, it was a rather haphazard test setup and I didn't want to push my luck and end up breaking something; but to have achieved that level of functionality on something that was certainly not intended to have it was very encouraging. I'm going to build an AM5 system using a GigaByte B650 Aero G motherboard, which according to the site is officially supported.

That's basically where I am on this whole Thunderbolt merry-go-round.

That's pretty amazing. Please post when you run this test on a new build.
by benackerman1 on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:37 am
tomedwards2 wroteThat's pretty amazing. Please post when you run this test on a new build.

Well, I have the system together. It's using a Ryzen 9 7900X with the aforementioned Gigabyte B650 Aero G. I'm so very far from having everything installed, but of course I had to try the Quantum 4848 as soon as I could.

The gc-titan ridge 1.0 really is properly supported in this motherboard. It shows up in the BIOS screen and allows all the security level adjustments etc. Booting into windows, installing the card drivers brought the card to life. The Quantum 4848 with the TB2 adapter was seen with no issues and connected upon approval, with its TB indicator light flashing. Once Universal Control was installed, the flashy light was solid and the Quantum was working. This time there was no messing around with rebooting; all the hot plugging works properly. This was especially relieving, since the titan ridge card I'd obtained didn't have any of its header cables and I'd had to make them myself, so I'm glad they worked.

A quick install of Reaper for some ASIO testing, and once again it seems to be giving a rock solid performance at 96KHz with a block size of 64, with Reaper reporting a latency of ~0.7/0.9ms. I have to give major props to Gigabyte for officially supporting the titan ridge cards on their new TB capable motherboards. It's a shame the cards are so hard to find now, especially as my experiment with that little Acer desktop shows they may provide an option even for boards that don't officially support TB, albeit with a few hoops through which to jump.

One final note, I updated the motherboard to the latest BIOS (it shipped with quite an old one, though even the old BIOS detected the card). However I did not update the firmware of the titan ridge card, which is running NVM 23.0. Since it yielded such good results on the Acer test, I decided to leave it the hell alone. I even pulled it from the motherboard before updating its firmware, just in case it did some behind-the-scenes update to the card.

As for Intel, I thumb my nose at them for dropping TB1/2 backwards compatibility from maple ridge. Yeah, you heard me, Intel. You've been nose-thumbed.
by TerjeNorway on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:15 am
:roll: nice you got it working.

There is a thread discussing this matter on gearspace:
https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1405885-compatibility-summary-thunderbolt-1-2-thunderbolt-3-4-amp-usb4.html

I'm still curious if a motherboard like Gigabyte Z790 AERO G, that has two different kinds of thunderbolt headers on the motherboard, can work with a thunderbolt 3 add on card. The problem is that nobody has tested it yet.

Logically a thunderbolt 3 add on card should work with thunderbolt 2 devices. I don't know if those headers only work with thunderbolt 4 add on cards.

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by Hommi on Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:30 am
I use this on my Mac Studio M2 MAX with thunderbolt 4.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL ... -2-adapter

Studio One Pro 6.5.2
Mac Studio M2 MAX
by TerjeNorway on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:39 am
Hommi wroteI use this on my Mac Studio M2 MAX with thunderbolt 4.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL ... -2-adapter

Mac is different. Thunderbolt 4 on Mac working with thunderbolt 2. At least on paper.

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by benackerman1 on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 pm
I've been using this thing a while now, and it still is behaving very well. I did end up with a couple of earth loops I had to deal with, since unlike my laptop, the mains ground isn't isolated from the chassis of the desktop, but everything has been very stable and well-behaved.

One complication I had found was that when the PC booted up from shutdown, the interface wouldn't wake up. I had to physically disconnect then reconnect the TB3-TB2 adapter; unplugging the interface wasn't enough. It may have been a quirk of the TB adapter itself (it's not bidirectional), but this was not an ideal state of affairs. After some trial and error, I found enabling ErP in the bios fixed this.

ErP is a mode where the PC will, when shutdown, go into a very low power usage state (I believe the target power is 0.5W). Normally, all the USB and TB ports had power available even when the system was shut down. With ErP enabled, the power to the ports is also cut, which I think leads to the TB adapter getting properly initialized from a cold boot. Also, I want the USB devices to power off with the system, so this is ideal for me anyway.

The only issue remaining is one all-too-common TB gripe - if the system sleeps, the interface won't wake up after. I have to unplug/reconnect the adapter or reboot the system. Not a big issue though, sleep is disabled on the system and I shut the system down completely when not in use.

Overall, the B650 Aero G is working well and I'm pleased with it.

TerjeNorway wroteI'm still curious if a motherboard like Gigabyte Z790 AERO G, that has two different kinds of thunderbolt headers on the motherboard, can work with a thunderbolt 3 add on card. The problem is that nobody has tested it yet.

Hmm... whereas that chipset isn't explicitly listed in the supported boards for the gc-titan ridge cards, my suspicion is the gc-titan ridge rev 2.0 would work in that board. The rev 2.0 card sports both the 5 pin and 3 pin headers present on that motherboard, and its documentation stipulates only that it "supports a thunderbolt add-in card". I feel they would be more specific than that if it only worked with the gc-maple ridge card. Additionally, the manual for the gc-titan ridge 2.0 card even uses the the same header naming conventions - THB_C1 and THB_C2.

It may not even be necessary to use both connectors; the 2.0 card lists compatibility with some B550 and B650 motherboards, all of which only sport the 5 pin header. To that end, I suspect even the rev 1.0 card that only has the 5 pin header stands a good chance of working with the Z790 AERO G, with just the 5 pin header connected. Speculation abounds of course; I don't have access to a Z790 to try.

24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2