Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Frustrating having to reboot the computer every time the audio interface is power cycled.

Universal Control used to detect it properly then after an upgrade this behaviour emerged, and no end of permutations of trying to uninstall / reinstall various of Universal Control haven't resolved the issue.

I see others have had problems in the past, but I didn't see any answer I could understand. I understand it might relate to some old kext files that need clearing out?

I would like to use the latest Universal Control version.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it..
by patricebrousseau on Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:51 pm
Here is a copy of one of my post: « Still happening with latest UC. However, 3.5.2.65533 is the latest good version for me. Definitely, powering off the 2626 then sleeping the computer= it won’t be recognized after sleep with 3.6.0.66460 and v3.6.1.84519. I don’t know if it behaves the same under Windows as I have to stay on 3.5.2.65533 on the two OS’ses as higher versions requires a firmware update (1.3.91 to 1.3.95). »

Like you, UC didn’t recognized the 2626 after sleep, I had to reboot every time.

From here: viewtopic.php?p=275709#p275709

I have an Hackintosh but I believe it would be the same for a real Mac and Mojave.

To resume, I would:

- clean the old driver with the uninstaller (it’s packaged with the UC installer I think);
- reinstall 3.5.2.65533 ( https://www.presonus.com/produits/fr/Qu ... hargements ) You’ll have to click on « Show all downloads ».
- UC will warn you that your firmware doesn’t match so you’ll have to choose update the firmware (in fact, downgrade to 1.91).

Be aware than when I had to do this, the installer/firmware flasher got stuck without offering me to reboot. I did the reboot manually, cycled the power on the 2626 and it’s fine since.
by ianaeillo on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:05 am
I keep trying but cannot seem to get it to work on my iMac running Mojave. It's absolutely frustrating being unable to upgrade, but I'm still on version 3.5.2.whatever as well. If it functioned properly, would there be any performance / feature benefit to upgrading?

One thing I have noticed though, oddly enough, is that over the course of a few hours of working on a session with UC open (I use the RTA on a separate monitor) Studio One becomes unbearably slow. Insanely long saves and misaligned pipeline timing is common. I'm running my Quantum as an aggregate device with a BLA Focusrite Sapphire Pro40 and a rock solid Crane Song master clock and during those longer sessions, the aggregate device tends to drift and the Quantum will sometimes lose sync with the clock. I close UC and everything works fine. It's the oddest thing.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by patricebrousseau on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:26 pm
@ianaiello : yours is also not recognized by UC or is it another bug related to UC (clock drifting when UC is open)?
by patricebrousseau on Wed May 11, 2022 3:42 pm
I will try the latest Universal Control v3.6.4.87069 hoping that it’s fixed but my hopes aren’t really high!

**Edit: still the same, unfortunately: UC doesn’t recognize 2626 if powered off and UC closed before sleep.

Keeping my old UC version (3.52) and firmware (1.91)…
by federicotomasello on Tue May 17, 2022 2:52 pm
Hello,

Same here with a Quantum 2 on High Sierra and Catalina on a Macbook pro mid 2012. Last good version is 3.52. I already opened 2 tickets for this problem but they seem not to care about this issue, they only advised me to use the old version. I will soon try with other hardware an see if it changes anything.

Federico
by federicotomasello on Mon May 23, 2022 3:05 pm
I've tested also with a Mac Mini Late 2012 and a Mac Book Pro 13" Early 2013 and guess... The same result! So it is clearly a software bug in Universal Control version >= 3.6 and not a problem of my computer. Only the application seems to be involved as quantum driver version doesn't seem to change anything
by patricebrousseau on Fri May 27, 2022 8:24 pm
I’ve just read something interesting on an Hackintosh forum: one user kept the 3.5.2 kext but installed the latest UC.

I’ll do, as usual, a CCC clone then, I will use Pacifist to install only the latest UC over my existing driver.

Just to be sure if the problem is related to the driver (kext) or UC itself?
by patricebrousseau on Sat May 28, 2022 3:43 pm
Ok, tried and tested!

Good: UC recognizes the 2626 after sleep.
The bad: it warns for a firmware update, obviously, but it just reinstalls the 1.3-91? So, it warns again and it’s unusable.

Next, if I have the patience, I’ll install the new UC including the TB driver, update the firmware and then, downgrade the driver.

I would guess that the most recent 1.3-95 firmware is probably embedded in the driver…

Anyway, if ain’t broken, don’t fix it they say…

**Ok, I’ve read again what is needed: I would probably have to update all the package in Windows, including firmware update, then UC wouldn’t warn me about outdated firmware. Quite convoluted!

Add to this that they absolutely not document in any way what bug fix or functionality brings 1.3-95.
by patricebrousseau on Sun May 29, 2022 4:15 pm
Support ticket left.
by patrickmaguire2 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:52 pm
My Quantum is sometimes not recognized by UC as well. The funny thing is that Pro Tools see it. lets it work kinda, and then starts freezing. Thats when I notice UC is not recognizing the Quantum. A restart fixes it. I hope this is solved. It's a semi PITA cause it only happens "every once in a while".
I haven't had the current rig long enough to target the culprits.

Im running Mac Studio Max,
Monterey 12.3.1,
latest pro tools 22.5.0.192
by patricebrousseau on Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:27 am
patrickmaguire2 wroteMy Quantum is sometimes not recognized by UC as well. The funny thing is that Pro Tools see it. lets it work kinda, and then starts freezing. Thats when I notice UC is not recognizing the Quantum. A restart fixes it. I hope this is solved. It's a semi PITA cause it only happens "every once in a while".

Monterey 12.3.1,

Hello,

I think you are better to open a ticket. I say this because I think your issue is a little different: in our cases - correct me someone if I’m wrong - , the 2626 doesn’t freeze but just cease to be recognized by UC after sleep. I think it continues to work and could be seen in CoreAudio devices.

Patrice
by patrickmaguire2 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:38 pm
patricebrousseau wrote
patrickmaguire2 wroteMy Quantum is sometimes not recognized by UC as well. The funny thing is that Pro Tools see it. lets it work kinda, and then starts freezing. Thats when I notice UC is not recognizing the Quantum. A restart fixes it. I hope this is solved. It's a semi PITA cause it only happens "every once in a while".

Monterey 12.3.1,

Hello,

I think you are better to open a ticket. I say this because I think your issue is a little different: in our cases - correct me someone if I’m wrong - , the 2626 doesn’t freeze but just cease to be recognized by UC after sleep. I think it continues to work and could be seen in CoreAudio devices.

Patrice

Sort of. the end result is the quantum freezes and will not be recognized. it hasnt happened since my last posts. so, yes it is a little different.
by astamurpanov on Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:48 am
I’m on 10.13, though, so your mileage may vary, but, after a bit of experimentation, I think I’ve found a very simple solution: you need to relaunch the process called ucdaemon.

Method #1 (more pointing and clicking, less typing)

1. Launch Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities/)
2. Make sure All Processes is selected in the View menu
3. Type “uc” in the search field (or manually find the process called ucdaemon)
4. Select it and quit it (either by pressing Command-Option-Q or by clicking the Quit Process button in the top left)

Method #2 (less pointing and clicking, more typing)

1. Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/)
2. Type sudo killall ucdaemon, enter your admin password (there will be no feedback on the screen as you type it in), and press Return.

The process will automatically relaunch and, after about 10–12 seconds, the Quantum will reappear in UC. (You can leave UC running while you’re relaunching ucdaemon.)

With Method #2, the next time you need to run it, take advantage of the command history feature: instead of retyping the command, just press the Up Arrow on the keyboard to bring back the last entered command.
Last edited by astamurpanov on Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by patricebrousseau on Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:01 pm
astamurpanov wroteI’m on 10.13, though, so your mileage may vary, but, after a bit of experimentation, I think I’ve found a very simple solution: you need to relaunch the process called ucdaemon.

2. Make sure All Precesses is selected in the View menu
4. Select it and quit it (either by pressing Command-Option-Q or by clicking the Quit Process button in the top left)

2. Type sudo killall ucdaemon, enter your admin password (there will be no feedback on the screen as you type it in), and press Return.

The process will automatically relaunch and, after about 10–12 seconds, the Quantum will reappear in UC. (You can leave UC running while you’re relaunching ucdaemon.)

With Method #2, the next time you need to run it, take advantage of the command history feature: instead of retyping the command, just press the Up Arrow on the keyboard to bring back the last entered command.

Great trick, thanks.

Another workaround, much more complicated (it looks I repeat myself again :punk: ) and assuming you have a Windows dual-boot Mac:

- Install only UC part of the latest driver except the 3.52 kext, using Pacifist;
- Boot in Windows, install the latest UC and upgrade firmware from there.

I didn’t tried myself but I assume it would work as the only thing iit was always remind me is to upgrade the firmware going in circle… I’ve decided to stay on the last working one for me on Mojave, 3.52.
by ianaeillo on Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:06 am
astamurpanov wroteI’m on 10.13, though, so your mileage may vary, but, after a bit of experimentation, I think I’ve found a very simple solution: you need to relaunch the process called ucdaemon.

2. Make sure All Precesses is selected in the View menu

THANK YOU. Awesome awesome awesome. This works. Wonderful.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10

16 posts
Page 1 of 1