Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
20 posts
Page 1 of 1
I updated to the latest UC some time ago. Today, when I launched it, it didn't see my Quantum. The Quantum did work fine in Studio One, except the Quantum audio controls didn't show in S1.

I rolled back to the previous version (3.5.0.64605), and all was well. So, once again I upgraded to the latest, and not only did UC not see the Quantum, but it no longer worked in Studio One or as a Window audio device.

Rolled back, and I'm OK.

Now, I'm pretty sure that UC worked when I did the upgrade initially, but cannot guarantee that.

FWIW, my Quantum firmware is 1.1-22.

Any ideas?

---
PC, Win 10
by PAE Seth on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am
If your device fails to show after an update, do the following steps:

1. Unplug device.
2. Uninstall UC, reboot
3. Re-install latest version, reboot after.
4. After boot, plug in device.
4a. On PC, some TB devices need another reboot after hot plug to initialize (device on).

Try that.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by radar23 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:02 pm
Hi,

I also noticed that in Windows 10, the latest Thunderbolt drivers are not compatatble with the Quantum (1 and 2). I was getting static noise and crackles in windows sound and in S1. I tried all version of UC and even back graded the quantum Firewares...

What i found that the older version 16 and 17 intel Thunderbolt drivers worked but the later DCH 1.41 series didn't work... took ages to fault find this.. but i'm happy the older drivers work and windows hasn't tried to force the new drivers on me just yet.

I still have the random pops and CPU spike problems, but that is limited to my Acer and it's CPU.. work around there is to use Throttlestop and turn of speedstep and cpu turbo and lock the clock speed to their maximum non turbo speed (34Ghz in this case)... this seems to work for the most part... but since i've updated to a newer Asus laptop aslo with Thunderbolt, this problems does not persist.

Bottom line is. With the Quantums being older tek now, it's worth experimenting with driver and Universal control versions, to find the best combination that works for you. I wouldn't update UC just because a newer version is realised.

_.~"~._.~"~._.~"~._.~"~._
Studio One 5 Pro
Quantum, Quantum 2, Didimax FS, FirePro, Firestudio Project, Firestudio Mobile, Art Tubeopto, DBX 386, Maschine 3, Hydrasynth, Analog Heat, Zed 14, Motu MTP AV, Keystep, Beatstep Pro, RD-8, Monomachine, machinedrum, Octatrack, Analog Four, Minilogue XD, Korg Arp, uWave XT, Virus C, Poly Evolver, Mono Poly, MKS-70, Mks-80, Pulse Plus, Blofeld, BassStation 2, ESQ-1. Korg Legacy, Arturia V, NI Ultimate 10, ImpOSCar2, BFD3, DCAM, Largo, Waves Gold.
Acer 7VN-593G, Win10 Pro
by PAE Seth on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:45 pm
I'm using the latest TB3 drivers with no issues on my PC. I think you have a motherboard issue. Your TB3 chipset probably needs a firmware update to support the latest Intel drivers. Doing a quick google search of that laptop shows that Acer has not updated anything since 2017, which is likely why. It's an Alpine Ridge based chipset which has been replaced by Titan Ridge and now Maple Ridge (Thunderbolt 4).

Laptops go outdated quickly. :)

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by patricebrousseau on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:28 pm
Well, something similar on my side. Mojave and latest UC/Firmware.

When I’ve done the update back in September, I noticed that I had to reboot as the Quantum 2626 wasn’t seen. It was available as an audio device but UC lost it. After a reboot, it was there… phew!

No big deal as I thought it was just a glitch… until yesterday when I noticed that after sleep, UC was not seeing the 2626 except after a reboot, again. Repeatable behavior. I didn’t noticed it prior because I haven’t used my DAW a lot in the last month.

My solution for now: back to older Universal Control and obviously, firmware 1.3.91. It now behaves fine and it’s always back after sleep.
by patricebrousseau on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:22 pm
Still happening with latest UC. However, 3.5.2.65533 is the latest good version for me. Definitely, powering off the 2626 then sleeping the computer= it won’t be recognized after sleep with 3.6.0.66460 and v3.6.1.84519. I don’t know if it behaves the same under Windows as I have to stay on 3.5.2.65533 on the two OS’ses as higher versions requires a firmware update (1.3.91 to 1.3.95).
by lwbasden on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:25 am
Don't know if my experience will help, but I had a similar problem with MacBook Pro M1 Max and Monterey. I tried installing and uninstalling several times. UC worked fine on 3.6.0 but Quantum did not show as an output device with 3.6.1. It would also show device unresponsive if I selected it in UC. I submitted a support request to Presonus. Long story short was, the answer found was that I had to drag UC to trash to make the OS delete the extensions and then go through the install process. During install I had to go to security preferences to allow UC to install the new extensions. Now all is good. This problem was hard to isolate. I have installed new versions of UC many times and never had to do it this way. Hope this might help you find the answer to your problem.
by bartbalint on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:07 pm
I have found on latest Win 10 setup that UC 3.61(etc) doesn’t recognize my Quantum2 or Atom, although both work fine in Win10 and SO 5. Repeated delete install doesn’t change it. Rolling back to 3.60 (etc) works as expected. I have every driver updated. I haven’t put in a ticket yet, as 3.60 works fine. Maybe I will just wait till the next version. But I do have to keep ignoring the UC ‘new update’ available!

My impression is that one of the latest Win10 quality updates changed something, as I seem to recall UC 3.61 working when it originally came out a few months ago.

Studio One v6.1, Win11 22H2, build 22621.1485, Quantum2, Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre, MCU-Pro, Wacom pen tablet, ATOM, GR55, Focusrite ASA one, HPD-20, Mackie Big Knob, 8-)
by PAE Seth on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 am
bartbalint wroteI have found on latest Win 10 setup that UC 3.61(etc) doesn’t recognize my Quantum2 or Atom, although both work fine in Win10 and SO 5. Repeated delete install doesn’t change it. Rolling back to 3.60 (etc) works as expected. I have every driver updated. I haven’t put in a ticket yet, as 3.60 works fine. Maybe I will just wait till the next version. But I do have to keep ignoring the UC ‘new update’ available!

My impression is that one of the latest Win10 quality updates changed something, as I seem to recall UC 3.61 working when it originally came out a few months ago.

Did you try my steps above? Disconnecting the device and completing a full uninstall/reinstall works for me every time a device fails to load after update. This is usually a driver issue. Reboots are needed between the uninstall and install.

by bartbalint on Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:48 pm
I will follow your steps exactly again in a few days.
When I uninstall/then reinstall UC, all works as expected. Upon reboot the next day the UC window comes up abbreviated and without many of the menu items such as ‘rescan system’ under settings.

Thx. Will let you know.

Studio One v6.1, Win11 22H2, build 22621.1485, Quantum2, Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre, MCU-Pro, Wacom pen tablet, ATOM, GR55, Focusrite ASA one, HPD-20, Mackie Big Knob, 8-)
by bartbalint on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:50 pm
bartbalint wroteI will follow your steps exactly again in a few days.
When I uninstall/then reinstall UC, all works as expected. Upon reboot the next day the UC window comes up abbreviated and without many of the menu items such as ‘rescan system’ under settings.

Thx. Will let you know.

Good news. I found the cause of the issue I was having with UC working right after install, but not working correctly the next day. Win 10 and StudioOne still recognized Atom and Quantum2 regardless of what UC was doing.

The issue was the sleep function of AVG tumeUp. It was putting a component of UC in a coma. Reinstall of UC corrected this, but just until reboot the next day. Turning off the sleep function cured the issue. Reinstated the sleep function recreates the issue. Good news is that the BIOS on my machine was updated in the whole process.

by TerjeNorway on Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:06 am
I cannot understand why people using anything else than Windows defender in 2022

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by bartbalint on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am
[quote="TerjeNorway"]I cannot understand why people using anything else than Windows defender in 2022.

if you had some references that show Win defender is the absolute in anti malware, anti virus, etc., I would love to read them. Thx!

by TerjeNorway on Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:43 am
My point was Windows Defender as of today is better than anything on the marked so why use anything else when it is free and integrated in Windows.....
As for Malware you should use a seperate software like Malwarebytes. I just scan my pc with the free version once a week.
And why argue when AVG created the problem for you. Are you arguing against yourself?
By the way I used AVG years ago until it became a Malware itself with unwanted notification about premium version almost daily.

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by PAE Seth on Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:11 am
The issue isn't the Anti-Virus. It's Sleep/Hibernate.

Sleep/Hibernate has NEVER been suggested to use on a Audio Workstation, especially on PC. Mac is more graceful in this manner, but still not recommended.

Don't use that feature. Leave your computer on or just shut it off.

by bartbalint on Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:51 pm
PAE Seth wroteThe issue isn't the Anti-Virus. It's Sleep/Hibernate.

Sleep/Hibernate has NEVER been suggested to use on a Audio Workstation, especially on PC. Mac is more graceful in this manner, but still not recommended.

Don't use that feature. Leave your computer on or just shut it off.

There could be at least 2 separate Sleep/Hibernate issues. Windows has sleep /hibernate options. Anything but ‘off’ always messed with my USB ports.

And AVG TuneUp, which is like CCleaner in some ways, has a sleep function. AVG tuneup is a separate program than AVG antivirus. I have never used AVG antivirus, but I have used TuneUp. It was Avg Tune Up causing the issue.

I do use win defender and scan intermittently with Malwarebytes, just like one of the previous contributors. No problems with either. Presonus support was sure it was just having Malwarebytes on my machine was the issue. It wasn’t, but support was insisting I remove it before they would proceed. I guess they have seen some issues like this caused by Malwarebytes.

I agree… don’t use hibernate sleep from either Win or AVG Tune up.

by patricebrousseau on Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:55 pm
Just a little precision (or two!):

- same behavior with UC 3.6.2 form February;
- UC « sees » my 2626 if the computer enter sleep and UC stays open. Meaning that the 2626 is detected after sleep in UC. If UC is closed, it won’t detect the Quantum after sleep. A reboot is needed;
- no problems, as I’ve already noted, with 3.5.2.

However, I guess that if someone doesn’t use Universal Control with the 2626, it’s not a big deal as MacOS detects and use the interface correctly.
by tomwhitten on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:54 am
I know this is old but I want to thank you for saving my gigs... with the one thing that seems to have solved it.
Had some sudden issues after 2 years of stability with the 2626 intermittently not connecting. Reboot usually fixed it but then it unconnected right in the middle of practice. Updated UC and firmware, had some issues with firmware update, finally got it but it wouldn't be recognized at all (on Win 10). i spent an entire day trying to un-brick it. Here's my 2 cents...
yes, definitely reboot after UC uninstall and after install. Tried several UC versions, would sometimes work but then after reboot no joy. However, after clean reinstall of UC, shut down. Disconnect TB and power for 2626. Startup. After PC is fully started (i.e. 30 secs or more depending on PC) reconnect TB, then power 2626. Blue light, yay! Test by restarting without disconnecting TB/power... success! Restarted 3 more times, no issue.

Clearly there's something in the startup of my PC that's preventing recognition, still not sure what. I don't use AVG as others described, I use avast. either way, I always turn off Avast (which stays off even on reboot) and wifi. I think that helps.

As to what caused the issue in the first place, still not sure. Although I try to keep my gig rig off the web, I did do some music software updates a few days earlier, and I saw that Chrome had updated then. Don't know fi that's the issue, but I like to avoid ALL updates on my gig rig... if it ain't broke don't change it.

Good luck, and thanks!
by patricebrousseau on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:35 pm
Anyone tried the new UC 4 with Mojave or later on a Mac?

Curious to know if this « bug » is solved.

I could try myself but I’m too lazy ;)
by patricebrousseau on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:50 pm
Oh well, the 2626 kept blinking blue with UC 4. I then tried to rebuild kext cached and noticed a message saying that kext wasn’t built against correct header or something similar. This kext doesn’t seem to work under Mojave unfortunately…

20 posts
Page 1 of 1