Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Not a complaint but just some questions and observations. I've been using the Quantum 2626 for about six months. I specifically bought the Thunderbolt interface because it advertised incredibly low latency. I was trying to simplify and get away from my Focusrite setup that had direct monitoring. I even built a good PC for the occasion. I am using the latest Studio One and updates.

Unfortunately, there is an annoying latency which affects the sound of the vocal/analog instrument in the monitoring mix.

When recording vocals, it manifests itself in such a way that it sounds like the headphone monitoring is out of phase. With zero plugins the live input monitoring sounds different than the actual recording. This makes things a little dysfunctional/disorienting when it comes to tracking vocals. I have tried lowering the block size down to 128 blocks. I find this silly since I purchased and built a good system for the job. In reality, its more of an annoyance because the latency is just slight. Not an obvious time delay like a stutter, but just enough to make you tweak your outboard preamp or gear. Maybe some people accept this but its not what I am used to from my past rig (with live monitoring and dsp effects).

When I used direct monitoring with Focusrite products (Cakewalk Sonar), I never experienced latency while recording live analog.

I love Studio One and the integration with the Presonus hardware. Again, I thought this Quantum thunderbolt interface was the Holy Grail for improving my previous setup. Maybe not?

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Intel I9, 3.7 GHZ, 32GB, Win 10 - 64, Asus board with Thunderbolt 3, Studio One (latest with all updates)

Intel I9 (10 core), 3.7 GHZ,
Asus MB with Thunderbolt 3
32 GB RAM ,
Win 10 (64), Studio One (latest with all updates)
Presonsus Quantum 2626
Behringer ADAT interface
Old Faderport
by robertgray3 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:40 pm
I always record vocals on my Quantum with a block size of 64 or lower; that's how you're supposed to use it. The Quantum, I find, works best for tracking audio when using Green Z monitoring (ie Dropout Protection) so the mix runs at 512 or higher and only the recorded channel is low latency.

Maybe try 32 and Medium. If you can do 16 or 32, they are almost indistinguishable from direct monitoring but I find singers or myself only notice when it's above 64.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by timmorris on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:58 pm
Ive been using the 2626...Ive decided my old 16.4.2 mixer was a much better interface....newer isn't always better.

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1