Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
14 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I bought the new Quantums 2626 for my Mac Mini M1 16GB and my MacBook Pro M1 8GB. Quantum is working very fast.

But:
Sometimes when the Mac is sleeping and i unlock the screen the Quantum LED goes to red and MacOS is rebooting.

Same situation if i switch the sample rate. Sometimes the system just reboots.

Another problem is, if a programm like Reason or Studio One is running and using the Thunderbolt driver and i start Logic or another Audio App that needs to use the driver too, MacOS crashes and reboot.

Is there a solution or should i return the units?

Happy eastern and greetings from Germany.
by robmoffett on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:46 am
When you switch daw you are disconnecting the quantum and have to reset it by clicking on the quantum icon on universal control
by josephhaley1 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:44 am
So mine is randomly crashing my MacMini M1 as well.

It happens randomly and it gives no warning but it will shut down the whole computer.
Then the computer restarts and it says it sends a crash report to Apple.

When I was using the Quantum on my MacBook Air Laptop it was solid as a rock.
That is an intel machine. I use that instead of the M1 cause that last two crashes were pretty extreme.

I uses VCV Rack and Ableton so they have a restore set mode, but its just a pain to have the whole system just shut down randomly.

Ive reset PRAM, and reinstalled twice but it still does it. presonus needs to update the release.
Im glad it works now, but I am scared about what the random shut downs are doing to my computer. APPLE CARE+!!
by TerjeNorway on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am
I'm guessing this is more a M1 issue than a Quantum driver issue. But I'm just guessing.
Does the M1 Big Sur system create a crash log? Could it be a specific plugin or a numbers of plugin not yet optimized for M1 that causes the crashes.....

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by hesselstavast1 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:04 am
Mine does so too. It will crash the Mini within seconds. 2 seconds ahead you will notice the M1 stops responding to mouse / keyboard input and then the screen turns pink, and BOOM, M1 shuts down.

I noticed this happened especially when I had iTunes, Safari with a Youtube video playing, or the Mac Appstore open

My temporary solution is use the 3,5mm output of the M1 for everything, except for my DAW.
It seems as long as I keep the sample rate of my projects the same (48K) it doesn't crash. *knocks on wood*
by hesselstavast1 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:10 am
TerjeNorway wroteI'm guessing this is more a M1 issue than a Quantum driver issue. But I'm just guessing.
Does the M1 Big Sur system create a crash log? Could it be a specific plugin or a numbers of plugin not yet optimized for M1 that causes the crashes.....

I do think it's a (small) issue with the driver. I had this happening with a fresh MacOS install and NOTHING else installed except for the Quantum kernel extension.
For this reason it can't be a specific plugin causing the crash. The M1 doesn't crash when the Quantum isn't connected either.

I think it has something to do with apps switching over to different sample rates.
by yannlebihan on Sat May 01, 2021 3:42 pm
Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem here : brand new Quantum 2626 crashes and reboots my M1 MacBook Air with no warning several times a day. Like others, I noticed recently that it generally happens while using audio outside of the DAW (even on a second audio interface that is connected simultaneously) or when switching frequencies on the 2626 inside of the DAW.

Here is the workaround I have been trying for a few hours : since all my Logic projects are at 48 kHz, I have set all active audio interfaces, including the Mac's built-in audio, to the same frequency in Audio/MIDI Settings. No crash so far, but it might just be temporary luck.

I've opened a support ticket on the subject a few days ago and was advised to replace my thunderbolt cable with a model made by Apple, but reading this thread (and also after having spent a whole afternoon testing the 2626 with the same cable on a 2019 Intel Mac Mini, without any other issue than poor latency performances compared to the M1) leads me to think that the cable is probably not the culprit.

But just in case, to everyone experiencing the crashes : do you own Apple or 3rd party thunderbolt cables ?
by yannlebihan on Wed May 05, 2021 11:24 am
PS : since Presonus' technical support are telling me they have received no report except mine on such crashes and are starting to advise me things like reformatting the "hard drive" [sic] of my brand new MacBook and reinstalling "OSX" [sic] from an "OEM image" [sic]... I think it would be useful if everyone participating to this thread opened a support ticket.
by ForumAdmin on Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm
We released Universal Control 3.5 that includes an updated macOSX Quantum Thunderbolt driver.
This was posted on May 4th, 2021.

Are you all still seeing this issue with this new update?

Forum Admin
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 5 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.
by yannlebihan on Fri May 07, 2021 12:02 pm
Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have just installed the updated Universal Control and firmware, and will begin testing the Quantum in pretty heavy Logic sessions (+ standard use as a system audio device ). Will check in particular what happes when switching audio frequencies in Logic and/or launching other audio apps at different frequencies.

I'll come back here after a few days to post the results.
by yannlebihan on Sat May 08, 2021 3:37 pm
Hi,

I'm sorry to report that around 15 minutes after starting my MacBook Air this morning, I got a new crash. Wasn't even using audio, the Mac was just idling.

Internal audio + another connected USB interface (Yamaha AG06, which is class compliant) had been deliberately set to 44.1 kHz while the Quantum was at 48, to see if it would handle it.

So I set all audio devices back to 48 kHz : not a single crash after a long day of heavy work in Logic Pro with several Amplitube and Guitar Rig tracks, realtime monitoring with a 32 samples audio buffer, etc. With Logic in the backgrouind, I also listened to YouTube clips and Apple Music tracks through the Yamaha and internal speakers at 48 kHz : still no crash.

There is clearly a problem with concurrent audio frequencies, as already stated by others in this thread, and the new driver/firmware doesn't seem to have ended it.
by PAE Seth on Tue May 11, 2021 4:18 pm
I have M1 MBP and 2626. I think this is an Apple issue, likely Power Management related to Big Sur changes for M1.

I don't see any of these crashes, unless I force sleep with 2626 connected, even then, it's completely random if the issue happens. Otherwise, M1 has been fine.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by willbrody on Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:43 pm
I'm having this issue with a 4848. I have two daisy chained. I've tried setting them up as an aggregate device and it crashes when using in Ableton Live frequently, restarting the computer entirely. My testing suggests, although I can't say for sure, that it's related to the 4848 somehow. Any ideas on how to approach this other than getting a different audio interface or computer?
by PAE Seth on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:11 am
I still believe this to be an Apple issue at origin. It doesn't happen if my M1 doesn't sleep.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower

14 posts
Page 1 of 1