Discuss Quantum Thunderbolt Interface Here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there,
due to the fact that my bass player brain is completely washed, we miss a cable to let him play(forget it at home where It's very useful!) :rtfm2:
I only have balanced cables at home, all of them TRS-XLR
May i use one to connect the bass (or guitar) to the front IN??
I have 2 doubts on the topic:
1)Normally pluggin an XLR will switch the signal to the mic preamp.
Is it going to be damaged by the bass/guitar signal??
2)the bass/guitar signal is mono, so i guess is going to be split in two, and become weaker...correct??
Thanks

Win10 - i7 5960x @ 4,2 GHz - Asus X99 Deluxe - Asus GTX1080 - 32GB DDR4 @ 2800 Mhz - Asus Thunderboltex 3 - 2 x Quantum - 2 x Yamaha SPX 2000 - DB166 XS - Yamaha DTX582 - Studio One Pro 4.5.2
by Bbd on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, ELAC Sub, ATOM
by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:36 am
I wouldn’t plug a guitar into a mic input. At best the signal will be distorted due to the impedance mismatch, at worst it will destroy the preamp.
by lucacannavacciuolo on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:35 am
SwitchBack wroteI wouldn’t plug a guitar into a mic input. At best the signal will be distorted due to the impedance mismatch, at worst it will destroy the preamp.

But 1-2 front IN are Mic/line/instr. so we always do that.
When I plug an instrument with a TRS/TS I also have to enable the inst. switch so as to go to the preamp and not to the ADC (as far as I understand from the manual)
When quantum feels a jack inside :D it goes to +4 -10.
When it feels an xlr it goes to preamp (0-100)
I think the risk occurs when you send a stronger signal than weaker.
If I plug the drum (line) to the interface using a xlr i would push the line signal to the preamps instead of adc.
Months ago I missed TRS-TRS cables to connect the drum and I did exactly the above mentioned connection.
The signal was very loud but no damages thanks God (at least for the few days I used that sort of connection)

Win10 - i7 5960x @ 4,2 GHz - Asus X99 Deluxe - Asus GTX1080 - 32GB DDR4 @ 2800 Mhz - Asus Thunderboltex 3 - 2 x Quantum - 2 x Yamaha SPX 2000 - DB166 XS - Yamaha DTX582 - Studio One Pro 4.5.2
by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 pm
A combo socket combines an xlr input and a jack input in the same space. But they are still two separate inputs, each with their own properties.

- Mic inputs have low impedance (1 kOhms or so) and high sensitivity (think milliVolts). These are balanced inputs (3 terminals), typically use the xlr part of combo sockets, especially if they have phantom power capability too.
- Instrument inputs have high impedance (1 MOhm or so) and medium sensitivity (think Volts). Instrument inputs are not balanced (2 terminals), have no phantom power, and typically use the jack part on combo’s.
- Line inputs have medium impedance (10 kOhms or so) and the lowest sensitivity of the three (think Volts or up). Line inputs can be balanced, have no phantom power, and typically use the jack part on combo’s.

For a quality connection both the sensitivity and the impedance have to be compatible with the source or it can lead to weak signals, distortion or even damage.

Some interfaces have a switch to toggle the jack part of the combo between line and instrument input function, but the Quantum 2 interfaces don’t have that afaik.
by lucacannavacciuolo on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:30 pm
SwitchBack wrote
Some interfaces have a switch to toggle the jack part of the combo between line and instrument input function, but the Quantum 2 interfaces don’t have that afaik.

You mean the inst/line switch??

by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:59 pm
Yes, that switch on the Quantum (not the Quantum 2). It switches only the jack part of the combo.
by lucacannavacciuolo on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:42 am
I see...
I have 2 quantum, not quantum 2, this is why I asked about the chance to connect the guitar with xlr..I would switch ON the inst...

8 posts
Page 1 of 1