Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All, I've recently bought an 1810c due to the multiple input features.
Currently I'm trying to record different drum kit parts using multiple microphone which are a mixture of warm audio fet/akg p115(small condensers) sm 58's.
I'm using Logic pro, and when I start a session I select eg 6 inputs. The exam question is, due to inputs 5-8 not having gain control, how do I get the best out of that input pls? Shall I avoid condenser mic due to phantom power needed or is there some parameters I need to change in the GUI dedicated to the presonos I've downloaded onto my macbook?
I've tried upping the gain on the daw to give more input power but starts to get a little hissy.

Any help from the forum would be appreciated

Thanks
Paul
by themaartian on Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:20 am
Inputs 5-8 are Line level, with no mic preamp. To use more than 4 mics, you'll need something like the Behringer ADA8200 ADAT (211 € at Thomann; in the U.S., Sweetwater has it on sale for $175) that adds 8 mic preamps and connects via the ADAT input on the back of the 1810c. They'll show up as channels 11-18 (that's where the 18 in 1810 comes from). I checked Thomann and Sweetwater, but neither has the Digimax. I don't know if it is even available anymore.

https://www.presonus.com/products/digimax-d8

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ATL

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by paullaverick on Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:25 am
Thanks so much for your advice! Makes a lot of sense now. I was attempting to set up an aggregate for now using x2 audio interfaces (basically putting my old mackie Big Knob and 1810c together) but have heard recording drums will be an issue due to different times
by bob forrest on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:06 am
Paul, if you have a mixer already you can put the extra mics into it and run the line out from the mixer into two of the line ins. That'll get you your six inputs without spending more $.
Two mixers or one with 4 separate outs will get you eight inputs at once using all four line ins.
This id a great time to be a home recordist.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1