Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Do these have HiZ inputs? I don't see any mention of them on the Presonus site or in the user manual.

If they don't have HiZ inputs, how are they for recording electric guitar, is the signal hot enough?

With these interfaces, can I listen to Windows sounds, like YouTube videos, at the same time Studio One is playing? Or is there some awkward process to switch between them?

Thanks.
Last edited by MisterE on Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by themaartian on Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:26 pm
I use Inputs 1 & 2 in Instrument Input mode all the time to connect my passive basses and guitar. Plenty of gain. See the Power User Tip about connecting active instruments (like a bass with an active pickup preamp).

From Page 3 of the 1810c/1824c User Manual:

Input Source. Channels 1 and 2 offer an input source selection button that lets you
switch between instrument- and line-level on the ¼-inch inputs for these two
channels. Press this button to disengage the instrument preamp when connecting
line-level devices. When the button is illuminated, the input will accept a line-level
source, such as a synthesizer or guitar amp modeler. Press this button to engage the
instrument preamp when connecting guitars or a passive bass.

Power User Tip: Active instruments are those that have an internal preamp or a line-level
output. Active instruments should be plugged into a line input rather than into an
instrument input. Plugging a line-level source into the instrument inputs not only risks
damage to these inputs but also results in a very loud and often distorted audio signal.

Please note: As with any audio input device, plugging in a microphone or an instrument,
or turning phantom power on or off, will create a momentary spike in the audio output of
your Studio-series interface. Because of this, we highly recommend that you turn down
the channel trim before changing connections or turning phantom power on or off. This
simple step will add years to the life of your audio equipment.

Concerning your second question:

No, you cannot set Windows to use the audio interface for it's sounds (like YouTube videos) when Studio One (or any other app/VI) is active and using the ASIO driver, which can't be shared. In that scenario, I configure Windows to use the internal (RealTek) audio and Studio One/Gig Performer/standalone VI app set to use my 1810c.

Very few ASIO drivers are multi-client. For example, RME's are, but they're very expensive audio interfaces.

I don't find the process for switching Windows audio cumbersome at all. Left click on the speaker icon in the lower right on the Taskbar, and select the audio output from the drop down list. All of the 1810c output pairs are available, in addition to the internal RealTek output. The RealTek audio on my laptop's headphones output is very high quality. You could always plug a decent set of powered PC speakers (like these Bose speakers: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/spe ... ion2_black) into it instead of listening to the crappy internal speakers if you want better Windows audio using the internal RealTek sound card.

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by MisterE on Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:28 pm
I really appreciate your extensive response.

I thought I was going to have to get off my now oldie-but-goodie Mackie Onyx Blackbird because its BlackBird Control software (from 2015!) didn't seem to be performing properly using S1 Aux Channels. But after troubleshooting this for over a month, I just discovered that putting it in compatibility mode straightened it right out.

The Blackbird does have HiZ inputs and it's multiclient -- which is a nice advantage -- so I'll stick with it, but I'm glad to know the realities of the 1824 for future reference. Thanks again.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by themaartian on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:53 pm
One thing I didn't mention, because I just thought of it, is to use a y-cable (1/8" stereo to two 1/4" TRS mono) to route my laptop's headphones output to a pair of line inputs on my 1810c. I have been using that cable the other way around, from two mono line outputs (L & R) to the stereo AUX input on my Fender Rumble amp.

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by Bub on Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:29 am
themaartian wroteConcerning your second question:

No, you cannot set Windows to use the audio interface for it's sounds (like YouTube videos) when Studio One (or any other app/VI) is active and using the ASIO driver, which can't be shared. In that scenario, I configure Windows to use the internal (RealTek) audio and Studio One/Gig Performer/standalone VI app set to use my 1810c.

Very few ASIO drivers are multi-client. For example, RME's are, but they're very expensive audio interfaces.

Hey guys. I just popped in to look up the exact info you guys are talking about in this thread regarding HiZ input. I have the Studio 1810c and I'm having a problem getting good signal from my passive guitars. I shoot for -12db ~ -10db input. It seems to be what Guitar Rig and pretty much every VST I use is calibrated for.

1. If I set it to line I have to turn the gain and the guitar all the way up and it's still not enough.

2. If I set it to Instrument (Turn off Line button) I get a lot of gain but with saturation to the point where it sounds like a light overdrive. I've also noticed the hardware meters on the 1810c don't match the Input Meters in S1. The only way around this that I've found is to run my guitars through the ART hardware in my signature and turn off Line Input mode on the 1810c. I can't simply plug my passive bass or guitars in to it.

Maybe I have a defective unit. I don't know. I love the unit and wish it was easier to get a clean signal in to S1 with it.

In regard to capturing audio from Youtube. I use my 1810c to capture audio from Youtube and other sources all the time. Here are the steps I use.

To record from Youtube:

1. I have 'Release Audio Device In Background' unchecked.
2. I normally have the Mixer in Universal Control 'Disabled' but you have to 'Enable' it to use Headphone Jack #2.
3. Use a splitter cable that is a 1/4" Stereo plug on one end and two mono 1/4" plugs on the other end that separate the left and right signal and connect the cable to the Headphone Jack #2 and front inputs #3 and #4.
4. Set the Input Level knobs for Input 3 and 4 on the front of the 1810c to 12 o'clock and use the Headphone 2 volume knob on the front of the 1810c to fine tune the input levels.
5. Open S1 and create two mono tracks. One with Input 3 and one with Input 4. Enable 'Record' on the tracks but disable 'Input Monitoring'. (Note: If you leave input monitoring enabled you will record the audio through the mixer and the actual input at the same time and get a messed up phased sounding recording.)
6. I monitor everything through Headphone Jack #1.

If I just want to jam along with Youtube video's without capturing the audio I just fire up youtube then S1 and set up a guitar track. It all seems to play fine. I think the key/trick/nudge nudge wink wink is the Mixer in Universal Control. It doesn't seem to work if I have that disabled.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1