Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there,
Brand new to the forum and the Presonus world.

I pick up Studio Artist 5, to replace my old Cakewalk software.
Absolutely Love IT! I just started to use an interface recently with it.

Started using my Roland Quad Capture with it, works perfect, same tone as straight usb from pedal to P.C., and in headphone jack of the interface, Same exact tone when recording and playing back on any device.

-Left and Right XLR out of Pod Hd500x to left and right inputs on interface, eazy peazy

However, it only has 2 inputs despite the name 'Quad', so i could not record a DI signal at the same time.

So I researched and Bought the 1810C to gain the inputs needed to accomplish my task.

Problem i'm having is, No matter what inputs i try, XLR or 1/4" cables into the 1810C it changes my tone in away i cant use it to record with the pedal.

I have tried inputs 1 and 2(XLR and 1/4") both - Line out/amp out form pedal
I have tried inputs 3 and 4(XLR and 1/4") both - Line out/amp out form pedal
I have tried inputs 5and 6 (1/4") both - Line out/amp out form pedal

The sound changes, its bright, tinny, hollow and loses 1/2 of the distortion (or Tone).

Tried recording it every possible way, hoping it was just the headphone sound on the 1810C, but it is not. recorded sound is changed.
I am working with support, but we cant seem to make it just play or record the tone from the pedal with out it changing the sound either.

I plug my Roland back in and i can record the Tone with out an issue, so Im not dead in the water to make working copies of my originals, just cant get the DI that i need along with it.

I've asked a few friends with interfaces, they plug/n/play no issues.

Does anyone have an idea's i can try before i take this back to the Store?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks
Rick

Studio One Artist 5

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
1TB SSD
Ram 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Video Card GTX 1080
by SwitchBack on Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:12 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

The tinny tone suggests an impedance mismatch. Inputs 1 and 2 should be the ones to use. Use instrument jack cables (not stereo/balanced jack cables or xlr) and make sure that the 1-2 Line button is not engaged.
by ricks4 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:06 am
Hi there. Thank you for the welcome.

I have have tried what you suggested several different times. Hoping it would magically just work.;)

I even purchased 2 new 1/4” (mono) 6’ guitar cables.
tried it in inputs 1-2, (line button active) 3-4, 5-6.
Tried several different tones,

I even made a new basic Tone with little distortion and no EQ. i made it output left only, right only, and left and right. 1 and 2 input, line button in, out, 3-4, 5-6) the tone is always altered in the save way. I’ve put many hours into trying to get it to work. the only thing left to try is mic’ing a Marshall cabinet to see if the tone get altered.

But all my amps are at the recording studio while we mix and master my first album. where my enginneer uses the DI signal through the amp and plug ins, so we don’t have to mic it.

He needs, from me, my pedal, (unaltered tone amp sim), and a DI signal recorded for specific mixing.

So frustrating.

I welcome any ideas,
thanks in advancRick

Studio One Artist 5

1TB SSD
Ram 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro
Video Card GTX 1080
by klypeman on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:41 am
What you need to do is to disengage the line button (make it not lit) to make it work with 1/4" on 1/2 inputs. Also if you want to use the DI´s on these inputs same applies.
what I would suggest is to read the manual and then again if already done so.
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downl ... 122020.pdf

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by SwitchBack on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:47 am
I had a quick look at the manuals for the HD500X and from what I gathered the best solution should be to use balanced XLR cables from the HD500X's main outputs to the mic inputs on the 1810c.

The thing to watch is the signal levels. Set the HD500X to minimum output level and the 1810c input gain to 12 o'clock or lower. Then slowly raise the HD500X's output level. Overdriving the interface's inputs will cause signal distortion. That may have been the problem.
by ricks4 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:25 pm
klypeman, on my phone replying, i may have hit report your reply thinking it was the reply button for your post.
😬

i will go over everything you stated.

thank you Sir.

Studio One Artist 5

1TB SSD
Ram 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro
Video Card GTX 1080
by ricks4 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:27 pm
switchback, i have tried that already but will re try with my favorite tone and some, single amp, less aggressive tone as well.

keep you posted

thank you Sir.

Studio One Artist 5

1TB SSD
Ram 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro
Video Card GTX 1080
by ricks4 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:03 pm
Worked late tonight and wont be back at it till thurdsay

Will try all ideas, and report back.
Cheers
Rick

Studio One Artist 5

1TB SSD
Ram 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro
Video Card GTX 1080
by darrenporter1 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:49 pm
If you have a couple of DI boxes, try using those. But it seems like something is not right. Take it back and try another one, or if you can, try another one in the store as a sanity check. That will tell you definitively if it is something you are doing wrong or the interface.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors

9 posts
Page 1 of 1