Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I had to add a short section of wire from my guitar cable ground to the spdif ground on the back of the 1810c. Otherwise when I used my piezo pickup guitar (active type) I get a pretty decent hum.

Is this normal? I am OK with the wire (it is super clean now so pretty happy about that) but is there a better way to silence the hum?

Extra info

Guitar is a nylon string with piezo and mic. Only the piezo hums (there is a balance slider to select the pickup)

I tried different electric outlets, same outlet, etc no effect on the hum

I did have an old MOTU, it had the same hum with the piezo

I also have an Axe FX II that is an interface, no hum from the Axe FX.

I looked at the piezo preamp shielding it looks pretty decent so not sure adding more would help.

If I touch the guitar cable ground the hum goes away. Of course not a good solution.

Thanks! Ron

IMG_7121sz.jpg
Last edited by ronlinares on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
by SwitchBack on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:33 pm
Is that a mono jack on that cable?
by ronlinares on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:02 am
Yes the cable is mono, standard guitar cable
by SwitchBack on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:33 am
Hmm, and do you use the instrument or the line input setting for the 1810c's input?

If your guitar has a battery powered preamp following the piezo element then the signal may qualify as line level. That makes quite a bit of difference for the interface because the instrument setting is unbalanced and line setting is balanced.

See if you can find a specification for your guitar/piezo pickup/preamp circuitry. It may actually need a (semi-)balanced connection for best results.

The other challenge with any gear without power ground terminal is to prevent some of the usb signal to end up on the equipment's 'floating' ground plane/shell. If the reference level is noisy then inputs will have a hard time keeping that out of the input signals too.

Interesting solution with that ground strap to the S/PDIF barrel. Put it in a ticket to PreSonus as it may help them get to the bottom of this.
by ronlinares on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:19 pm
The Line button on the front panel is dis-engaged, so its using mic/inst

The gain trim for that channel is about 11 o'clock, so it would seem the signal level is within range of the input.

This is the preamp, it does not mention balanced but it does say stereo capable, first I have heard of that.

https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/prefi ... o-mat-p51/
by SwitchBack on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:55 pm
Can't find anything out of order there, instrument cable and setting are the right choices, so yeah, check with PreSonus what's up with the ground connection of the combo inputs. Shouldn't need an outboard ground strap.
by ronlinares on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:09 pm
Thanks, will do

7 posts
Page 1 of 1