Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I just ordered a 24c interface and I will be using it with my speakers and my headphones.

My headphones are the AKG 712 Pro, so they are going to be a bit under powered from the 24c headphone output as far as I am aware of...

I have an ART HeadAmp 4 that I intend to use with the interface but I'm not sure about the best way to connect it?

Would it be better to use the main outs of the 24c to go into the HeadAmp instead of using the headphone output? And if that is the case then I would have to connect both the speakers and the headphones to the HeadAmp. Would that interfere with the quality at all? Audio being routed through a headphone amp before it goes to the speakers... I get the audio going to the HeadAmp for headphone amplification but it's the "also going to the speakers" part that I'm unsure about.

Obviously, the main outs of the 24c can go to the speakers and then the headphone out can go to the HeadAmp to power my AKG's...

And that is where my concern is.... Main out or headphone out from the 24c to the HeadAamp? If headphone out going to the HeadAmp is that right? And if using the 24c's main outs to go into HeadAmp would that add anything unwanted to the pure signal from the main outputs of the 24c as the audio gets to my speakers?

Does that make sense? How should I connect this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Studio One 4.6 - PC i7 2600k 8Gb RAM - Presonus Studio 24c interface
by benmccluskey1 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:00 am
I know it's obviously not rocket science. I'll be able to get a better idea of what's working best when all my gear arrives and I can just plug it in and find out. I searched online for an answer and nobody seemed to give a simple definitive response anywhere. The information might be useful for someone else along the road who's got a similar thought about this kind of thing... "So, connecting a headphone amplifier.... Do I take the line out from my interface or the headphone out? Or does it even matter?"

Responses welcome!

by SwitchBack on Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:23 am
Start with the headphone out. The signal is similar to a line output signal.
by benmccluskey1 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:27 am
That's great, thanks. I'll post here again to say whether or not there was any difference between the two.

by klypeman on Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:46 am
SwitchBack wroteStart with the headphone out. The signal is similar to a line output signal.

I would do as SwitchBack says and leave the Main Outs to speakers, that way you have the option to turn down only the speakers and still have a consistent sound in headphones.
A further benefit would be one more headphone output.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by benmccluskey1 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:47 am
Ah yes, of course. I'll do it that way. Waiting on a new power supply for my HeadAmp 4 to arrive... Some reason I had lost my original one. So, I've not been able to try things out. At the moment my AKG 712 Pro's are plugged into the 24c headphone out and I need to crank things up to almost full to get a good vibe going. Can't wait to get this headphone amp sorted, hopefully it makes a good difference. Also, I'm using Sonarworks so when that is on it takes away about 8dB of volume, hence why I need more juice for the cans!

by klypeman on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:29 pm
How many Ohm’s are your AKG’s ?
Be careful with your ears.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by benmccluskey1 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
The AKGs are rated impedance of 62 ohms. Not sure what that means exactly and how it works with the interface but the audio does seem to be a bit on the quiet side when used with my 24c.

by benmccluskey1 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:59 am
Power supply for my HeadAmp4 arrived today and there is a big increase in volume supplied to my AKG 712's now. I'm taking the headphone output of the 24c and going into the HeadAmp4 and everything seems to be working just fine. Checked between interface headphone output and then HeadAmp4 output and quality seems to be the same just louder from the amp, as you'd expect. So, happy days.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1