Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've currently got my computer, studio monitors and Studio 68C audio interface connected to the same power strip.

The interface is connected to the PC via the USB-A to USB C cable, and the interface is connected to my KRK monitors via balanced TRS cables.

Even with no other device connected to the PC, or to the audio interface, there is a high pitched "computer" noise coming through the studio monitors - it's sort of rhythmic - a long burst of electrical computer noise, followed by a short gap.

The volume of the noise is independent of the volume controls on the computer, the interface or the monitors themselves. Always the same level, regardless.

Strangely, the noise disappears briefly when the audio interface is switched off, but then shortly afterwards the noise returns even louder than when the unit is powered on - even unplugging the power cable entirely doesn't get rid of the noise. The only thing that stops the noise is removing the usb connection between the interface and pc.

So I'm certain it's some sort of noise being passed to the device from the computer via the USB-C cable. I find this strange because the Studio 68C has both a usb cable and a separate power supply, so I presumed that this means the usb cable was used for digital data transfer only, not power - therefore I am confused as to to why ground loop noise from the usb-c connection should be an issue. Surely digital data is always clean? Should I try to hunt down some USB-C cable that only has the cables for data?

Also strange is that I can't hear the noise through the headphone jack with SOME headphones, but can with others. In particular, I can't hear with the my Audio Technica R70X, which has a relatively high impedance, but I can hear them through other, lower impedance headphones.

I've purchased a Behringer Hum Destroyer which some people in the comments on Amazon appear to be having some success with. It goes between the interface and the monitors, so I am concerned that they may affect the sound in some way and ideally I'd like a solution that would enable me to connect the interface to the speakers directly as intended.

I've also purched an "iFi defender+" - some sort of USB device that claims to be able to cancel this sort of noise, and again some people seem to have had success with this on YouTube, etc.

But ideally I'd like to set up in such a way that additional more devices are not required. Anyone had any success with eliminating this noise without additional equipment?

Anyone faced a similar issue and have any suggestions?

Studio One Professional 6 6.1.1.92984
Windows 11 Home 22H2
Desktop, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K 3.60 GHz, 32.0 GB RAM
by SwitchBack on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:32 am
First thing I would try is earthing the interface.

This is why I very much don't like gear with external power adapters, as these things lack a reliable ground connection. It's either feeble or simply not there. Makes (in this case) the interface rely on cable shields for ground reference. And if that includes usb/thunderbolt cables then problems are not far away.

So get a piece of wire and try it between various spots on the interface and various ground reference points (power strip, computer) to see if it helps and which points give the best result.
by Garrie on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 pm
SwitchBack wroteFirst thing I would try is earthing the interface.

This is why I very much don't like gear with external power adapters, as these things lack a reliable ground connection. It's either feeble or simply not there. Makes (in this case) the interface rely on cable shields for ground reference. And if that includes usb/thunderbolt cables then problems are not far away.

So get a piece of wire and try it between various spots on the interface and various ground reference points (power strip, computer) to see if it helps and which points give the best result.

So you think it's simply that the external casing of the interface is not adequately grounded?

Studio One Professional 6 6.1.1.92984
Windows 11 Home 22H2
Desktop, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K 3.60 GHz, 32.0 GB RAM
by SwitchBack on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:27 am
Yes, that’s my guess.
by darrenporter1 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:54 pm
Don't know if you've gotten to the bottom of this, but if your USB cable does not have a ferrite bead at one end, get one that does and try that.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Sp ... 231&sr=8-3

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors

5 posts
Page 1 of 1