Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I got an 1824c recently, and I'm totally new to recording, mixing, DAWs and all of it. Can someone explain the primary purpose of the "main" output? I see a giant knob to control its level, and presumably the dedicated mute button applies to it as well, but none of that has any effect on what I'm actually hearing through the headphones. What is the philosophy behind "main" and it being different from what goes to the headphones? What do people normally hook up to the main outputs on the back?

As background, I'm using my setup to record drums.
by SwitchBack on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

Quick answer: the (powered) main speakers.
by Chuck37 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:31 am
Thanks. But why would the main speakers want to have different audio from the headphones? Is it to provide a custom mix to a performer or something like that?

StudioOne Professional (Sphere) w/ PreSonus 1824c
Recording Drums with 7 mic inputs
Computer: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, MSI-7390A Pro, 32 GB DDR4-2666, Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card
by timstorey1 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:22 pm
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to the 1824c. Before I set it up in my rack, the volume control on the front changed the audio level routing from the main output to the monitors....

Now it's all screwed in (no loose cables) the volume control on the front is almost bypassed and is not working leaving the varial output disabled and the signal leaving the interface at 100%.

I have to listen to music at 8% with my windows volume set to 3%.
Any windows alert is more than loud enough, and is not doing what I was hoping it would/should do.

Please help!!!!!
by SwitchBack on Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:51 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

That looks like you’re listening to multiple outputs at once (i.e. an output mix) rather than a single output. Check your UC settings (and your manual) to fix it.
by timstorey1 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:02 am
Hi Switchback, and thank you for your quick response.

I've checked my UC, but I can't really find what I'm looking for. There's no options for output routing or the like. Unfortunately the manual didn't help me here either

I have UC installed, and the soundcard selected is "Presonus output 1/2".
Other options include output 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 and ADAT 1/2-7/8... and SPDIF out.

I notice that there is no main output, which is the monitors are connected to.

Is this an internal routing problem that I can solve? I'm guessing through UC, but unless I'm blind, I can't find any options to help me.

Thank you!!
by SwitchBack on Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:32 am
OK, running down the checklist:
- First check all cabling. Follow sources to inputs and outputs to destinations. Also check that everything is plugged in firmly. On the interface turn down the main output knob.
- Then in the UC Surface launch window disable loopback (if you're on Windows). You can enable it later but for now it will only confuse things.
- Then in UC go to the settings page (cogwheel) and select 'Mixer Bypass'.
- Send audio from your computer via usb1&2 to the interface.
- Now bring up the main output control knob. If your system is still too sensitive then turn down you amp or input gain on your active speakers.

Did that improve things?
by timstorey1 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:59 am
Switchback!!!

Thank you. I'm all sorted.
I had it fixed over the weekend with your support, but realised I forgot to say thanks.

So, thank you! :)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1