Discuss Studio 2|4, 2|6, 6|8, 18|10, and 18|24 USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Can anyone tell me if my 1810C should be left permanently plugged in and left on, or tuned off and unplugged when not in use? In my "day" there was a popular theory that anything electronic was actually better off permantly powered-up, because frequent (daily) power cycling did more damage than being left on. More than the unit itself, I worry about the power adaptor "adapting" power even when I'm not using the 1810C.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
by SwitchBack on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 am
My straightforward rule of thumb: If it warms up you turn it off, if it stays cold you can leave it on. Good for safety, the environment and the gear itself (heat degrades electronic components).

Part B of that rule: let gear acclimatize before turning it on, to avoid unnecessary temperature stress. Usually says so in the manuals too.

There used to be a rule to keep anything spinning spinning (harddrives, fans, ...) but that’s outdated, because if you don’t turn them off then they will do so themselves nowadays :)
by GMHague on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:18 pm
SwitchBack wroteMy straightforward rule of thumb: If it warms up you turn it off, if it stays cold you can leave it on. Good for safety, the environment and the gear itself (heat degrades electronic components).

Part B of that rule: let gear acclimatize before turning it on, to avoid unnecessary temperature stress. Usually says so in the manuals too.

There used to be a rule to keep anything spinning spinning (harddrives, fans, ...) but that’s outdated, because if you don’t turn them off then they will do so themselves nowadays :)

Ah! That makes good sense! Thanks for that.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1