Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
On the Studio USB series or the new IoStation 24c it states that when you engage phantom power it’s for ALL of the inputs (I’ll assume just the XLR Combi jacks) and not selectable per channel.
If phantom power is engaged because I have a mic plugged in that needs 48v to an XLR combi do the 1/4” jacks of the other XLR combi’s defeat the phantom power if I have a guitar plugged in or line inputs from a modeler or such?
Thanks!
by SwitchBack on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm
Phantom power, when on, is only present on the XLR part of the combo sockets, not on the jack part. Inside a combo socket the XLR part and the jack part don’t share contacts.
by darrenporter1 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:15 pm
You might want to look at the specs of the IOStation on that one... the way I read the specs, it was all or nothing on line vs inst levels as well.... that is, all inputs are either line OR inst, not both.

But yeah, SwitchBack is right about the phantom power part of it.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by cbourner on Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:20 pm
I am considering buying a 1824c.

I can live with the all-or-nothing 48V setting as I only have condenser microphones, and I would only use modern dynamic micrphones and proper balanced cables anyway, and this would be unlikely to be a problem.

My reading of the manual I downloaded is that line-level inputs do not receive 48V phantom power, but the last post here just adds a slight amount of uncertainty. The manual does not explicitly say that line inputs do NOT receive 48V, but I think it is implied.

Can someone who owns and uses one of these confirm that I can connect instruments and a couple of microphones (which require 48V) simultaneously and not fry anything?
by SwitchBack on Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 am
PreSonus interfaces never put phantom power on jack inputs by design, no matter if the input is on a separate socket or part of a combo socket.

[Never say never and poop happens. But should it happen it would be a first to my knowledge, and on a seriously faulty interface, not on a stupidly designed one ;) ]

Edit: Poop, really? :lol:
by matthewgorman on Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:46 am
nickjones30 wroteI am considering buying a 1824c.

I can live with the all-or-nothing 48V setting as I only have condenser microphones, and I would only use modern dynamic micrphones and proper balanced cables anyway, and this would be unlikely to be a problem.

My reading of the manual I downloaded is that line-level inputs do not receive 48V phantom power, but the last post here just adds a slight amount of uncertainty. The manual does not explicitly say that line inputs do NOT receive 48V, but I think it is implied.

Can someone who owns and uses one of these confirm that I can connect instruments and a couple of microphones (which require 48V) simultaneously and not fry anything?

The 1824c is a different interface than what was being discussed. Line inputs do not receive 48v, and 48v is selectable per input on this interface

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

6 posts
Page 1 of 1