Discuss Studio 2|4, 2|6, 6|8, 18|10, and 18|24 USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello!

I have a studio 2|6 interface, a PC and a Rode NTK microphone.

I've been having a problem which I don't know how to solve. The signal that comes out of the interface has most of the times all the peaks cut, the recorded soundwave has flat tops and bottoms. The level never gets over 0db, it's not that, it's simply that the interface cuts the signal, I don't know why.

I've found that if I put both the mic gain and the master gain more or less in the middle, I don't have cut peaks, but the signal is a little bit too low. But if I raise my mic's gain or the master gain to make it more robust... peaks cut. :(

Could you help me? Thanks a lot!!
by darrenporter1 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm
you want to record so your average input levels (look at the input channel, not the mixer channel) around -12dB, peaks no higher than -6dB. If it's too quiet coming out of your headphones or monitors, then turn your headphone/interface level up, NOT your input signals.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by pablomanzano on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:29 am
Thanks a lot, Darren! That's very helpful.

So if I understand it correctly, the interface mic gain has to be adjusted so that the peaks never surpass -6db. Could you elaborate on why is that needed? Could I raise the interface master gain, if I keep under -6db the mic gain?

Thanks a lot, buddy!
by pablomanzano on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:10 pm
Oh, dear... this problem is still there. Basically, the interface doesn't allow me to raise the gain higher than a certain level. If I do it, the recorded sound wave in my DAW appears cut by the peaks at -6 or so, as if it had been passed through a limiter. It sounds terrible, but it isn't actually going over -6.

I've tried a different audio interface (a much worse model than this one, from a different brand), and it works fine: I can raise the gain as much as I want (as long as I don't go over 0db in my DAW).

Do you think my unit could be faulty? Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Many thanks in advance!!
by pablomanzano on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:34 am
I can add something else... I connected the microphone to input 2, and the problem was gone. So it seems that input 1 is faulty and the other one works just fine. Has somebody had a similar problem with this device?
by PreAl on Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:56 pm
My interface is arriving tomorrow so I can't help you.
Are you on the latest drivers?
Have you run universal control recently?

Studio One Pro 5, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom Pad, Atom SQ, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
by pablomanzano on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:01 am
The problem only affects to input 1 of my device. A few months ago, I had a hard time unplugging the mic from it. It was too tightly held, it required a lot of maneuvering and strength to separate the plug from the device. I think that I must have broken something inside the device during that handling.

What strikes me as odd is that it is not the kind of problem that would make me think of physical damage, but of a setup issue.

Anyway, input 2 works fine.
by PreAl on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:34 am
My interface works fine.
I'll ask again, are you on the latest universal control/firmware.

Studio One Pro 5, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom Pad, Atom SQ, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1