Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
40 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
For all those asking for support from PreSonus: Do NOT seek it here! This is a user's forum, customers just like yourselves. If you want support from PreSonus then file a support ticket. But if you want help or a willing ear from fellow users then this is the place to be. Thanks :)
by dermbet on Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:01 am
The solution may be to go into the Apple System Preferences and Audio: then check that the INPUT level is all the way to the right (full). For some reason it is resetting back to the middle. I am not sure if the Audiobox just doesn't produce enough signal as I don't think it should be necessary to set the imput to full.
by carlosprietogranados on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:55 pm
andrewhall20 wroteI’m having the same issue with a new Quantum 2626. I go mic>Avedis MA5 pre>Comp-2A compressor into the quantum. Signal is very weak and poor tone. Using all the same chain if I switch to my focusrite Scarlett 2 channel interface the signal is clear and strong as it should be. I’ve tried both the trs into the 1/4” jack and into the xlr input. Xlr in is a little better but still somewhat weak and poor tone. Stumped.

Hey there Andrew, this is so strange considering you have a very nice chain. Did you fix this? Was this a gain staging problem instead of the actual Quantum inputs? What happens if you blast the MA5 and give a hot output to the Comp 2A, still weak?

Cheers!
by SwitchBack on Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:04 pm
That looks like and output-input mismatch. The 2A only has line outputs, so going into the 2626 you have to use jack cables, and you can't use inputs 1 and 2 for it.
by allenpalmgren on Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm
Absolutely have the same issue going on here. With my Shure SM57 mics placed about 1/2 inch in front of the speaker grill of my amps and my amps up fairly loud I still have to have the gain turned all the way up on my Studio 24C just to get enough signal to record decently but then, as mentioned above, lots of noise. I am using XLR to XLR cables with my mics. It is quite a frustrating problem and I have actually just ordered a new and different digital interface. The Studio 24C will go back to it's box to sleep I suppose as I would feel poorly about selling something I know doesn't work as it should to some other unsuspecting person.
by rob.razor on Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:49 am
Also having this issue on a new iOStation 24C; SM7B has to have input gain dimed on either input channel to show any signal, and even then it barely registers. Nothing happens until you get just over ~85% on the gain pot.

Using high quality 10' XLR-XLR cables into a recent model MacBook Pro, running Logic Pro.

This seems ridiculous as I watched several demos and reviews all of which stated the preamps on this device had plenty of gain on tap, and some specifically mentioned that the iOStation 24C had plenty of gain to handle an SM7B without CloudLifter.

I don't understand why Presonus refuses to comment on this. Maybe customer support will improve now that Fender owns Presonus?
by aaronblumer1 on Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:45 pm
I'm thinking about buying one of these, but having some hesitation... but mostly I want to understand how some poeple are not having this problem.

Julian Krause tests what he calls a "worst case scenario" for the 24c using a Sure SM57b ... and doesn't seem to have any noise problems.
I'm not a sound engineer, so maybe someone can explain to me what he is doing differently?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3a-MnP2GFA
by jebbyslonar on Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:05 am
Mic volumes (and also other input volumes before pre amps like acoustic guitars, and possibly electric guitars, and bass guitars) are low. You could run some processing to change your sound you hear. The sound goes through to a track even though it is not loud. The computer doesn't care about what a waveform looks like. If what the waveform says, and what the meters on the way in say are important I would suggest adding gates, amps, reverbs, compressors, eqs, distortion/saturation plugins to get a good sound you like, then recording them all to the final processed track if you want to see a waveform or not have so much processing while mixing. I actually made a video while looking at (the original) comment cause I have (had) everything on in my studio right now (att) including internet (which I rarely use at the same time as doing music). It is pretty detailed about what I suggest. I noticed your comment (other forum page see below) is (was) from 2017 and you are probably a pro at this stuff by now. (this thread dates back 2019 so also true here) ...

That video was hosted on the forum here originally on another very similar thread, earlier this week, in a different part of the forums in answer to a thread originally started in 2017 but recently answered by others so on top of topics list. It was uploaded to the forum here not to any other site, because I boycott the censorship websites that host videos easily, anymore. Here are the links shown on that (other forum) page. One is a download link for the video which demonstrates what I mean visibly. The other link was a 'play quicktime file' link but may just take you to that other topic in the forum. The video is 13 minutes and 38 MB:

[ Play Quicktime file ] Microphone details Video Sept 14 2023.mp4 [ 38.99 MiB | Viewed 81 times ] viewtopic.php?f=219&t=25078&p=307844# Download: download/file.php?id=20966

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
Not always SFW not always NSFW Usually music though
by SwitchBack on Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:56 am
You can't use computer processing to 'repair' weak input levels. You'll have to fix this at the input (source-mic-cable-preamp).

Having said that you then have to ask: "What is weak?". Input levels peaking somewhere between -12dBfs and -18dBfs are safe and good in almost any scenario. Levels have to be considerably lower to be considered weak. You can't compare a microphone input signal with say a commercial final mix signal anyway. And don't push levels merely for more visible 'scribbles' in the track events. For that you can always use the Data Zoom:
Data Zoom.png
by jebbyslonar on Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:55 am
I bet you're a salesman. I happen to know they sell preamps for 1000s. I won't pay that. You don't have any problems getting some loudness. Watch my video. I can even get loud with OBS, but I don't think you watched my video, because you are still worried about your waveforms. Anyway I only came back here today because I need to buy something else in noise reduction. Izotope RX7 . Don't know how but it is in my system and not activated. Works similarly to the OBS free noise reduction plugin. I see you have over 3900 more posts than I do here, so I'll drop it here. I don't need to be picking fights with salesmen on an internet forum that is a dead end road as anyone who ever went on a forum before knows. All the mods appear to be quite linked in with the salesmen on these forums. I am a CHEAP, LONE Studio musician. Listen to me and watch my video kids, before you go PRO and become an influencer and start doing crazy things like enabling GOOGLE apps on your phones. HQ sound. What a bummer. :punk:

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
by SwitchBack on Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:11 am
I did watch you video, unfortunately (because it was rather long and rambling). Looked like you're sending one or more inputs into a lot of parallel FX channels, you're monitoring multiple inputs simultaneously, and you don't show the main output which by the sound of it was clipping like crazy.

Also, when you can get a good signal with your mic and interface into one app then you should be able to get that same signal into Studio One as well, so this must be a case of user error. But I couldn't bring myself to watch your video again to find it, also because some of the relevant Studio One windows were missing from it.

Interfaces are pretty simple in that they convert analog audio into a digital audio stream. All apps can access that same stream, so good in one app will be good in other apps too. You're doing something on Studio One's input side which messes things up. Maybe start from scratch with a new song?

Oh, and I'm not a salesman :)
by jebbyslonar on Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 am
Saleswoman? :mrgreen:
As stated in the video the sound in s1 that you said "you're doing something wrong" about was designed around a piece of music, and I have it sent to at least 4 distortion and or other types of effects. The sound in the OBS, is going to sound pretty bad with that music I was making the vocals sound for. I have hundreds of vocal chains saved as presets. It's all about mixing and getting the mix you want. Man every mixer knows you gotta have saturation (distortion) in your vocals or it won't sound ok mixed with a lot of instruments. Here in that particular sound I was also using a phaser, several gates at least 1 reverb, fat channel, channel strip, compressors, parallel compressors, quite a few gates including one in fat channel and one in the Amp send. Maximized audio signal via channel volume. A limiter. Other stuff, a filter...yada yada there were about 20 FX in all on that mic sound. The Studio One plugin suite has a tool called "Mixtool" with the capability to really add a lot of gain to the track, so don't tell me no one processes in the sound.

To make it pretty clear, I get irritated when posters tell me I'm asking questions about interfaces, which I am not. I coul turn on both the studio one and OBS that was never in doubt on my end. I know the interface can bring the sound in to any app. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to do a 13 minute 38mb demo of exactly what you're ideals are. I would be glad to see it. Or maybe it'd be beyond your capabilities in your situation? I really would like to know. Perhaps everyone could benefit.

I would be interested in pre digital ideas just to know what you mean as far as mics (can't afford) and preamps (can't afford) and also any hardware you may be talking about. However anyone can hear that in this video I am moving around and not paying one whit of attention to mic placement that's part of my demo there, and also it is one of my vices. I would be interested in more equipment, and a nicer mic but anyways, I can't. I can't be picking up every sound around here see? Cause I live with people and they make noise sometimes. So I look for a sound that is audible, and I gate out the rest. Rambling or not...this is the facts for a lot of people out there.

It's rather a video I don't really care if I ramble and I do not apologize if I waste peoples time I would spend my life apologizing if I did, as no one watches anyways most of the things I worry about. No one is forcing anyone to watch it. However I tend to respond to those who criticize my audio baselessly after supposedly listening to it, which almost never happened though admittedly there are a lot of people who don't speak English all that well or understand every word, and I admit I was a bit slow on the OBS side of things to start and if you really wanted to call that rambling, or had detected a amount of general rambling in my posts and thought you needed to say that, I suppose you might. I wasn't entirely focused the entire time on the mic sound that's true and I said as much. No one is payin :+1 g me to do this video, I do not have that job. There is no wrong sound kids. Just wrong influencers. It is worth noting that a lot of influencers on typical seemingly popular websites are actually being paid on a per video basis. I am not being paid at all...I wouldn't even have a means to accept any but a cash or crypto payment from a direct payer. People with my anti social "affliction", can't even sell music on Bandcamp or receive pay from censorship friendly "popular" websites.

BTW I don't zoom the waveforms vertically in S1. I prefer to see what I am really working with. What windows would you be talking about that I am not showing? I am curious what windows you would show in your demo.
Last edited by jebbyslonar on Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:43 am
:punk: :roll: I went in and done something else with vocals just now and made a 0:25 s vid. I don't hear any clipping just a lot of distortion. love it or hate it there's no clipping on this one. Just distortion.

Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] I don't really listen to teh ladies.mp4 [ 2.58 MiB | Viewed 4366 times ]

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by SwitchBack on Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:55 am
In a thread which is about low input gain this is interesting but not very much to the point. Low input gain is about everything between source and A/D converter, not about ways to process the audio once it's inside the DAW, I'd say.
by jebbyslonar on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:07 am
Irrelevant? To a post dating from 4 or 6 years ago? LOL. OP was seeking -18 - -12dB in the daw. In my initial video which I posted not here but on another thread in the forum, I clearly shown that there is not any visible input volume at all, and yet here I am louder than all these other things. I fail to notice my irrelevance. Were it not for your aggressive marketing of my post as irrelevant I don't see anyone else here saying it. I am sure you can perhaps HIRE some influencers to go against my post with you if it's so important.

Furthermore, I don't want you to regret what you said, or say "I think". I don't think. I just do what I do. So to say "I think" is both neither here nor there. I guess you're too busy to actually say what you do in a good video we can watch or you are too shy or unable.. I don't care. I stated what i stated cause I'm right. You are irrelevant unless you have something more to say. I have proven my point with a couple videos and you posted no reply. Do whatever you want. Stop purporting to be the only CORRECT one here. You answered me. Still waiting on your video showing us what it is you do. I am truly interested in other people's sound set up but I don't require a response.

I have basically proven that my gain on the way in is not even visible. It is right there in the video. Though it shows on the interface with my minimal setting of 3/10 or 3.5/10 twice on 2 preamps, it is visible from the waveform that it is not much dB at all coming in the program off the mic. Sure it gets a little bigger if I slap the mic around or yell right into it, as I said in the inital video it's not a great mic. Since I don't think of things like clarifying that I didn't change my waveforms' zoom off default. I can only assert my innocence if you are insinutating that I would somehow decrease my track zoom to make a large signal appear invisible. I never touched the vertical track zoom. I get almost nothing on acoustic guitar ins off a wired pickup to the acoustic as well, and also therefore I have got to always be doing some heavy processing to that sound and it's actually a lot worse than the processing on a mic track. I won't try and do this with a preamp on an interface as there is terrible buzz with such things.

OP, and anyone else would be better off, running their sound into a simple live audio chain of processing plugins, then back out a patch cable from the interface outs, to another pair of stereo ins, than to just try and use a preamp on the interface. That is how bad some of these interface preamps give a buzz.

The meter after a single input, to a DAW, is somewhere around the lower 1/4 of the meter's height at default settings, and similar in all the sends. For my computer it is not visible at all for either acoustic or mic. My mouse follow did not show much of the meters during the video recording. Ok so I accidentally did a zoom on that encoding OBS as well, and thus double zoomed the mouse follow... But only because I used the fs preview projector on the encoding computer as the video source. OK OK I SCREWED UP THE OBS VIDEO SETTINGS... Anyone require further proof that my input gain is almost none and invisible on the meters, I will show it. I did not manipulate the meters or waveform to make the sound appear to not be visibly there.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:08 am
O k. I just double checked everyone's comments on the first page, and first of all SwitchBack, you're basically wrong if you are using USB to power an interface. That's my first thing I got to say because you said that on the first page a comment from 2019.

2nd of all, Where you come off trying to degrade my post, my post is what all these people need. Seriously. My post is what all these people are asking for. My post is the solution. My initial video though it was formulated for that other thread in the interface forum for the Studio series interfaces about the same topic from 2017, is the basic, and only real solution.

Let me give you another example of something you would probably insist is wrong, in my prior comment I said that I would recommend patching an interface's outs to the ins. I do this at times on an auxiliary setup I have in my 'bed' room with my computer there I use the M Track 8x4. I have 7 real interfaces, I have FTU, FTU8R (x2), M Track 8x4, and then my main two listed in the signature, and finally an Audiobox 96 (the only reason you should use USB power is if you have something like this that only runs off USB power).

Now I use that station (8x4 + i7 laptop) from time to time to play an instrument with a MIDI keyboard on that computer there, or an acoustic guitar while sitting in there sometimes, and when I do I run the audio direct into Live Professor audio processing plugin chain program (good for live audio processing only, no transport), and out of that 8x4 interface's outs, via a patch cable back to the interface's ins again (to get also a 2nd preamp at that point at a moderate level. I pick that in up in OBS and make a video that way. Yeah I know I am one of the only people smart enough to do this. Yes I know that some would try and use virtual cables such as the VBAN program but that is a LOT more complicated, takes extra CPU and doesn't decrease latency at all.

Now while I'm monitoring (after checking the monitor out of OBS with some phones into the computer's realtek 3.5 jack) I am monitoring the audio direct into the interface which is ...yeah you got it, the output of the audio plugin chainer. Practically zero latency even with a 512 or 1024 buffer on a pretty aged i7 computer with 4/8 cores. Damn I know you can't do it on an i5 but on an i7 ya can.

Most people have to make crap audio videos with their phones mics, and post them online. Most people don't care much about the audio quality of their live audio videos. But you buy a couple of webcams and insert Automatic Scene Switcher and bam you got a rock video that only your own talent can be the limiter on.

So don't assert to these people who have stated AGAIN AND AGAIN they need a SOLUTION, that gain INTO the interface means squat, cause I just prove again and again how I'm right. The audio is THERE and the processing gets the sound. What everyone needs, is a 12/24 Ryzen computer. Desktop because we're talking about audio, and USBs are more plentiful in DESKTOPS, batteries in laptops are not condusive to LONG studio hours (they explode). I have a lot of experience with this stuff you're basically talking out your a%$ :D if you tell me I'm wrong, and there's an internet full of s#!% audio vids, that prove I'm right. :P

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by SwitchBack on Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:35 am
If there's one thing you're proving, it is that you're well capable of filling this thread all by yourself, without bothering to read what others write. I'm out.
by jebbyslonar on Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:40 am
SwitchBack wroteIf there's one thing you're proving, it is that you're well capable of filling this thread all by yourself, without bothering to read what others write. I'm out.

ok dodger

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:59 am
You can be OUT all you want. Be out to lunch. Don't bother comin back!

I went ahead and made another video about this stuff. also available currently on my Bitchute channel https://www.bitchute.com/video/eZB3RPsiYcpv/

Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] More Gain Videos.+Erlyr Vid, Edit =Lst-1.mp4 [ 39.44 MiB | Viewed 4275 times ]

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by danielhardwick1 on Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:46 pm
I found this thread while having the same problem with the 24c. Huge gain jump right at the end of the input knob's travel, as well as all the associated noise. More or less dead below that. Spent a bit of time adding gate, comp, eq, Soothe2 and got it workable. Then I thought to try my old 2i2 (1st gen). Same mic/cable/everything. It's night and day, the problem with the 2i2 is more trying to avoid clipping. Halfway on the gain knob is loads to pretty hot, I'm matching the 24c well before that, with less noise obviously. I don't normally use a mic for anything, and I like the 24c, been using it for a while, but this problem is real. It doesn't feel like poor performance, it feels broken.

40 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2