Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
40 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I just bought a Studio 24c. I am using it with a Shure SM7b and a cloudlifter pre-amp, but have to turn then input gain up to 90% or more to achieve my target input level of 18dB-12dB into my DAW. Of course at this level, there is too much noise. Turning down the input gain to a level that is quiet, results in a very low signal into my DAW. Any ideas?
by jonasjanssens on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:01 am
don't have answer but the same problem here with 26c . my input signal is very weak and when i turn the knobs open past 2o'clock i get a lot of noise , also when using the headphones.
I checked impedance of microphone an adio-interface: 310 ohm for shure SM57 and 1.6K ohm fore the presonus studio 26C, that shouldnt be the problem.
any tips ?

greets!
by SwitchBack on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:29 am
Are both of you using microphone cables (xlr on both ends)?

Also note that those mics are close-proximity microphones. They’re even less sensitive than an SM58 so the sound source (instrument or vocal) should be well within a foot from the mic.

Hope that helps :)
by jonasjanssens on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 am
thanks for the quick help!!!
i am using an balanced xlr to jack cable for the mic. maybe this is the fault ?( i just ordered a cable with xlr on two ends.)
i am recording a saxophone. so to here myself back trough the headphones, i need a lot of gain ,i tested a bit with the distance and as you stated a small food away from the mic is the best result.
still the level of the signal is relatively low :-( not enough for recording... and still a lot of noise.

thanks already!! :thumbup:
by SwitchBack on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:08 am
The new cable will do the trick :)
by allynllyr on Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:25 pm
Actually, for me, I have the same issues, Sure, Sennheiser, and a PTA LD 2UBE powered, all with the 48 volt line boost, and it is unacceptable. I am practically swallowing the mic, and getting 9Db range.

My Studio USB did not have this issue, at all.
New Studio 24c with Studio One, V5

Same results in Audacity. This really appears to be an issue with the hardware, or the proprietary drivers.

The other issue, is the I have to use the "Line in 1/2" because the Virtual input. has so many other connectivity issues.

It is a bleeding edge (as of three years ago) i7 12 core 3.5 GHz, and 64 Gb ram . Still faster than most on the market, The audio and recording through line input works great, the USB sucks. It does not work to any reasonable spec and all I need it for is speech.

Tech support is also non-existent.
by SwitchBack on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

Your wording is a bit cryptic (what’s a “virtual input”?) but since you say you have the same problem then use the same solution: Use a proper xlr to xlr mic cable to connect to the xlr mic input. A jack plug can only connect you to the instrument/line input.
by gregorybodine on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:38 pm
Same problem. I just bought a Studio 26c, which I upgraded from a Scarlet Solo (3rd Gen.) I am using the 26c with a AT2020 condenser mic and a new XLR to XLR cable. Current DAW is Reaper. Inst. (line 2) gain is turned all the way down. I have to turn the Line 1 gain up to 80% or more to achieve my target input level of -18dB to -12dB. But at this level, my noise floor is unacceptably loud. Turning down the gain to a level where I can record hardly registers on the meter and / or results in a very low signal. My Scarlet Solo worked just fine at the same input levels. Any ideas?
by kyrasavolainen on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:24 pm
For the record, I'm having a similar problem. I have the PreSonus Studio 24c connected via XLR-XLR into Blue Ember. I have to turn the interface gain to max to have it register on the interface's front digital display even when the mic is an Inch from my mouth. Is it just a bad match? New to non-usb recording. But right now, wouldn't reco this combo to a friend.
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:09 pm
The only reason I can think of for those mics to give a weak signal is that they’re not getting enough phantom power because the interface isn’t getting enough power from the usb port. That can be due to the usb port or due to the usb cable you’re using.
by rickyentzer on Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:19 pm
I too am having low level inputs. My chain is guitar with (volume on 10), standard guitar 1/4" cable into a Studio 24c. I have the input level at 3 o'clock before I get the signal to even register on the device. So the first 75% of the input knob is useless. That leaves me with roughly 15% of workable input before it starts distorting the signal.

My previous interface, an iOne with same guitar and cable registers a signal within the first 25% of the input level.

Sweetwater is sending a new replacement unit, but now I'm concerned it will just be doing the same thing.
by andrewhall20 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:13 am
I’m having the same issue with a new Quantum 2626. I go mic>Avedis MA5 pre>Comp-2A compressor into the quantum. Signal is very weak and poor tone. Using all the same chain if I switch to my focusrite Scarlett 2 channel interface the signal is clear and strong as it should be. I’ve tried both the trs into the 1/4” jack and into the xlr input. Xlr in is a little better but still somewhat weak and poor tone. Stumped. After describing all this to Sweetwater they sent me a new unit. It has the same issue. For now it’s the Scarlett till I can get the quantum sorted
by dylanclaydon on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:00 am
I have the same issue, very low gain on mics using good quality mics, both phantom and coil. Thinking of sending it back and getting something else.
by darrenporter1 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:35 am
Timely video released a couple days ago... Note nobody in the comments are really saying anything positive about the PreSonus interfaces... except for how noisy they are.

phpBB [video]

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by thomasfucoloro on Sun May 16, 2021 12:48 pm
Same issue. Studio 24c, latest drivers. Sure SM27 condenser. The gain knob very slowly increases volume until about 90%, then the level jumps abruptly and has lots of signal noise. It’s very hard to dial in a good level because the lightest touch to the knob creates a big change. I thought my unit was broken until I found these forum posts with the same issue. Very disappointed. Going to return it and get a Scarlet 2i2 I guess. Unless someone has a solution (other than buying an in-line booster).

Also, a dynamic mic (SM58) requires the gain to be at 100% to get a good sound while eating the mic. Ridiculous. I’ve tried different USB ports and cables, but that changes nothing. Are the preamps simply underpowered by design?
by adriangrey on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:18 pm
Yeah, same issue here. Using XLRs. Guitar records fine but both dynamic and condenser mics (w/ phantom power) are super low signal, can't record vocals without a lot of noise.
by edwardcorcoran1 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:41 pm
I'm dismayed to see no responses for this issue... I've been using the Studio24c for recording instruments since I bought it last year, and it's been great for that, but the other day I tried recording vocals with it for the first time, and was surprised to discover that I have to dime the input gain to barely reach -12db with every dynamic mic I own. I'm finding it hard to believe that my ancient Lexicon Omega has better preamps than this interface. Is this something that can be fixed in firmware? Will an in-line booster solve the problem? Will it raise the noise floor?

Does ANYBODY at PreSonus want to address this???
by jameswatkins10 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:59 am
edwardcorcoran1 wroteI'm dismayed to see no responses for this issue... I've been using the Studio24c for recording instruments since I bought it last year, and it's been great for that, but the other day I tried recording vocals with it for the first time, and was surprised to discover that I have to dime the input gain to barely reach -12db with every dynamic mic I own. I'm finding it hard to believe that my ancient Lexicon Omega has better preamps than this interface. Is this something that can be fixed in firmware? Will an in-line booster solve the problem? Will it raise the noise floor?

Does ANYBODY at PreSonus want to address this???

Also looking for an answer to this question. While similar to the above, "Inputs" has disturbingly low gain with an instrument plugged in (like a guitar via input 1) it's the same issue as described here. I would like to also see some type of response to this question.
by Cole Yew on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:26 am
So sad, so troublesome to find someone who can fix it in Malaysia Penang.
The low gain issue is confirmed faulty , my 12 channels got 3 channels most frequently used and these 3 channels are now extremely low gain.
I've just plugged the same mix same cable and all the channels are same gain level except the 3 mentioned, faulty!

Lousy presonus where you don't even have a representative in the north of Malaysia.
Regretted so much using presonus!
by Cole Yew on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:27 am
I meant 14 xlr channels

40 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2