Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am very new to all this and have just bought a PreSonus Studio 24c.
If I just plug headphones into my Korg Wavestate I can hear stereo panning.

On plugging in my Synth left and right outputs into the Studio 24c with TRS plugs I notice that the output to my headphones when plugging into the jack on the Studio 24c is mono.

I can't for the life of me get stereo out of it in the headphones.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just the wrong product ?

Thanks
by SwitchBack on Sun May 22, 2022 1:47 am
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Yes, it’s not the ideal interface for stereo input. In your recording software you can link the two independent inputs for one stereo input and you can also return that stereo signal to the interface for stereo playback in your headphones. But when you turn the mixer knob on the interface fully counterclockwise then you’ll only hear the inputs as two centered mono inputs.
by jimjones45 on Sun May 22, 2022 2:01 am
Hey, thanks for the confirmation.
Will be taking this back I think.
Is there a better one for what I want to do ?
by SwitchBack on Sun May 22, 2022 2:58 am
Good question. To me it seems that all current small PreSonus interfaces concentrate on mono mic and instrument inputs, relying on the connected computer to pan them for stereo where needed.
by jimjones45 on Mon May 23, 2022 12:16 am
Well that was a quick dip in the presonus pool.
Took it back to the shop.

Guy there confirmed that it mixes the two inputs and only outputs mono on the headphones.

Bought a SSL2 which outputs stereo. Nice.
Thanks for the help.

I emailed support but they have still not gotten back to me.
Job done.

edit:
I was thinking about this one. PreSonus Revelator io24 USB-C Audio Interface.
But the guy in the shop said it had the same problem. ie: only mono out in the headphones.
by SwitchBack on Mon May 23, 2022 4:10 am
The Revelator io44 could have been an option because it has a (3.5mm jack) stereo input and the onboard DSP to do mixing, panning and a lot more. But with that 3.5mm stereo input and TRRS broadcast headphone socket rather than 6.3mm sockets all round it’s more geared towards podcasters etc.

Anyway, good that you’re sorted. See you around :)
by matthewgorman on Tue May 31, 2022 9:25 am
But the guy in the shop said it had the same problem. ie: only mono out in the headphones.

They guy in the shop is wrong. All interfaces will output stereo, but it has to be stereo on the way in. TRS to dual xlr adapter is what I use for my keys coming out of the phones jack.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by SwitchBack on Tue May 31, 2022 3:46 pm
I think this was about the interface’s internal monitoring options. There is no panning control inside most of the interfaces so they default to using the inputs as mono inputs. For stereo you need to involve the computer.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1