Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between the 1824c and the studio 192 for my new interface. Can someone please confirm if the phantom power for the 1824c is globally across all 8 pres at once? Can it not be switched on for selected pre inputs? If this is the case what is the reasoning behind presonus doing that? If I'm using all 8 mic pres to record drums it's going to be a combination of dynamic and condenser mics. If the phantom power is global across all mic pres then I won't be able to record drums with this interface. Hopefully I have read the specs incorrectly and this isn't the case as I like everything else about the 1824c. Thanks for your replies!
by SwitchBack on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:15 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

All modern dynamic mics with xlr connector are wired in a way that ignores phantom power. So it's not a problem to have a dynamic mic on an input with phantom power on. The only requirement is to use standard wired xlr cables (pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and 3 to 3). Best to check (if you haven't done so already) to make sure that none of your cables are wired incorrectly.
by davidmancarella on Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:27 am
Thanks for the welcome SwitchBack and thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to being part of the community.

That is good to know re dynamic mics and phantom power. I wasn't aware.

Just out of curiosity do you have any thoughts/opinion on 1824c vs 192? Here in Australia the 192 is double the price. Just wondering if it's worth the extra cash.

Cheers
by SwitchBack on Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:27 am
Not from experience but by looking at the specs I'd say that the 192's converters seem to be slightly better but the 1824c's mic preamps have a wider operating range (which has to do with the XMAX's original non-recallable analog gain control).

Feature-wise there's differences too of course. Up to you to decide what's more or less important to you.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1