9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just bought a used studio channel mic preamp and as I got it real cheap- I bought it knowing there was this issue. here is the issue im having and the seller disclosed to me the same issue. it powers up with very low to no sound from the unit with a very distorted/harsh tone when turned all the way up, as that's the only way to hear sound from it. you have to dime the input gain and the master just to get sound from it. its passing signal, tried changing the tube and that didn't solve the issue. does anybody have any ideas for what could be wrong here?

I opened a ticket with presonus, but I thought I would check on here too.
by frank.crow on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 pm
I am having volume issues too.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by frank.crow on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:51 am
I replaced my interface. The problem seems to be under control now.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by rockgod212 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:12 pm
nah, its not my interface's...........there's something wrong. its getting sent back for a repair. I just bought another one for the time being though.
by blazeberdahl on Sun May 01, 2016 9:25 am
Hi I am using an external pre-amp (Grace M101) with my new PreSonus Audio Box 2 interface. I am a voice actor and recording with my shot gun (senn 416) microphone for Voice over purposes only. I use Logic Pro for my recording program.

Mic is plugged into the pre-amp and using phantom power from the Grace M101. From there I have the pre-amp hooked up to the interface. I believe this is the right order. I have the pre-amps on the PreSonus turned all the way down (since im using the pre-amp on the Grace) and my headphones plugged into the presonus are all the way up. On the grace the pre-amp is turned up only a few notches...not even half way, yet when I speak and record I can hear it peaking (on play back too). Yet, visibly in logic it's hardly visible audio in terms of dbs. I have to zoom way in to see the waves... and more importantly it's barely audible in my headphones, plugged into the Presonus even though I have the headphone knob turned all the way up.

On my mac, I went into preferences and I have audio inputs and outputs set to the presonus on my computer in general...so that's correct I believe. When I tried to adjust the volumes through my computer thinking maybe they were turned down on the computer, it says the selected device has no output controls (and its showing all the way to the right anyway).

How can it be peaking... and yet recording so low in LOGIC and I can hardly hear it on headphones.

It would be nice to be able to hear more clearly exactly what I am recording as I am doing it...

Please help. What am I doing wrong?
by cee-jhowell on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:44 am
Did anyone find out the issue? I’m having a similar problem
by Bbd on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:26 am
There have been other posts on this forum about low input gain. Maybe do more research to see if that can help you.

No matter what audio device you use, you need to apply enough gain to get a good input signal into Studio One. Check this by opening the Input section of the Mixer to see what kind of level you are getting.
Then, once you like the input level, record. Then if the playback level is too soft, use your mixer to compensate.
If the audio recording is still too soft, you can increase the gain for that channel with the Gain control on the mixer.

If you still can't get enough level coming into Studio One, you need to check your audio device pre-amp setting. If you are using a condenser mic, turn on 48v. If you are using a mic such as the Shure SM7, it required a lot of gain so some may use CloudLifter to help that out.
I use a Series III and 192 interface and the mic pres are so clean, I can simply boost the gain as needed w/o issue.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by rockgod212 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:50 pm
I thought I had posted the issue with my unit, guess not. the issue ended up being a broken volume pot as I opened the unit up it just fell out, so I replaced the pot and all is well again.
by Bbd on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:00 pm
Thanks.
Case closed.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ

9 posts
Page 1 of 1