3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a 5 month old Dell Precision 3660 i9 with 32GB of ram 512GB primary SSD drive and (2) 2TB NVMe SSD drives for audio file storage. I have loaded the latest UC, Capture 3 and Studio One Artist 6. The USB drivers have been updated and I am not running in Compatibility mode. My connection between the PC and the console is direct as I am not passing through a hub. The PC has both USB 3.2 and USB 2.0 ports and I am using the USB 2.0 ports for console audio. I am experiencing intermittent low level flutter type distortion on Capture playback that lasts for a second or 2. In some instances when I rewind over the same area and playback again it is audible so in some cases I think it is in the actual recording. I am thinking something is getting intermittently corrupted on playback and record. My block size is set to 512. I am thinking this computer should have more than enough horsepower to handle this audio workload without breaking a sweat but perhaps I am missing something.
I have contacted tech support and they recommend compatibility mode and I have been using it as a work around but it is really limiting in many ways and frankly not what I paid for. I was wondering if getting a PCI USB card for the computer might help in that it may move the USB processing off the motherboard and on to the card? Has anyone been successful with this USB card approach and if so what card did you use?
If not has anyone managed to solve this issue on a PC in any other way and get full 64 ch operation working? Thanks in advance for your insight and assistance.

Bill
by wahlerstudios on Sat May 04, 2024 10:09 am
The question is if new computers still are 'compatible' with the old mixers, so it's not correct to say that the mixer is the problem. It's the computer, even if it should not be the problem. Also the new Macs are known to have problems with the mixers. What you can do is to run a very simple test. Capture and UC Surface aka Universal Control do not need a lot of processing power. Any simple office laptop is able to handle multitrack recording and remote control is no problem at all. If you happen to have an old laptop, just install the software and check how the laptop works.

Basically, you will not use more than 40 USB sends, because the mixers do not have more input channels for USB signals. Only the 64S can handle 64 USB I/O sends.
by billf on Wed May 08, 2024 12:23 pm
I already have a laptop a Dell precision 5540 with UC and capture loaded on it so I will give that a go.USB3.1 ports only however
Thx
Bill.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1