7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Looks like the Presonus "soundcheck" / "playback" process does not work.

For brevity, I recorded a show I did last week. Recording was conducted directly on the StudioLive 32SC using a 32GB SD card (no Capture, no StudioOne). 15 inputs recorded (including main outs), no errors. After the event, checking the SD card on my computer, all files are present; consuming 24GB out of 32GB available. The recording is about 3.5 hrs. long.

Copied the *.wav files from the SD card and onto my PC. Listened to some of the individual tracks... everything sounds good.

I am not using any computer software - no Capture, no StudioOne... I am only trying to use the console for playback.

The 32GB SD card is re-inserted input the console, I select "Soundcheck", and select the performance, then "Recall". The performance is loaded...

Next, I select "Play" from the control. It plays for approximately 10 seconds, then stops, then the time counter returns to its previous chronological position when the "Play" was pressed... I select Play again, and the 10 second processes repeats; the playing of the tracks is unable to get past about 10 seconds. I "Jog" the time-strip forward and select play. There is no input activity on the console and there is no audio; the console stops playing after about 10 seconds.

Is there a step in the process I am unaware of to get a 32SC to playback a recorded session?

Thank you.

Live sound only - no studio
SL Series iii (all models) f/w - 2.7.2.97735
SW5E (f/w - 1.5.0.93282)
NSB 32.16 (f/w - 1.4.0.87732)
EliteCore Cat-6a - 150ft
Whirlwhind Cat-6a (ENC6ASE CAT6A Ethercon) - 150ft
Last edited by robertweston2 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SW5E (f/w - 1.5.0.93282)
NSB 32.16 / NSB 16.8 (f/w - 1.4.0.87732)
EliteCore Cat-6a - 150ft
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:11 pm
There was a similar case and the 'problem' was that the files simply are too big for SD Card Capture. It seems that the mixer can not load 24 GB or needs a long time for this (there is no indicator saying 'ready to play'). You should try to make the files shorter or use Capture running on a computer.
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:10 pm
And did you properly close the recording session? That's required for some necessary housekeeping.
by robertweston2 on Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:46 pm
wahlerstudios wroteThere was a similar case and the 'problem' was that the files simply are too big for SD Card Capture. It seems that the mixer can not load 24 GB or needs a long time for this (there is no indicator saying 'ready to play'). You should try to make the files shorter or use Capture running on a computer.

Ah ok, this makes sense. Thank you. I just assumed the "playback" would read directly from the SD in lieu of loading into some type of cache. The next time I record a show, I may try stopping the recording (and saving) between a few songs at a time.

SwitchBack wroteAnd did you properly close the recording session? That's required for some necessary housekeeping.

Yes I did! The first two times using the recorder (testing), I did not properly close the sessions... now I know.

SW5E (f/w - 1.5.0.93282)
EliteCore Cat-6a - 150ft
by robertweston2 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:13 pm
Wanted to post a follow up to this issue. The soundcheck problem had nothing to do with the console, but with the file system space where the 24G session was residing on the SD card.

After an internet search, I was unable to find information specific to the Presonus console not functioning correctly with the playback of the 24G show.

I opened a ticket with Presonus support. They were very helpful with the questioned they asked and provided a couple of "tests" to determine if the issue was firmware related. One of the support engineers replicated my setup (setup on, not my data) on one of their 32SC consoles. They did not experience the issue. This gave me a thought...

This led me to setup a much smaller recording session (on my 32SC and SD card) to test if it would fail (on playback) to automatically advance to the second "set" within the same session. The test setup worked... the playback on the console automatically jumped to the second "set" without issue. This told me the issue is more than likely the data on the SD card.

After seeing the small test session work, I did the following with the 24G show on the SD card:
1. Copied the 24G session from the SD card to my PC (Linux)
2. Deleted the 24G session from the SD card
3. Copied the 24G from the PC back to the SD card

This corrected the SD card playback issue. The 32SC can now play the 24G session (both parts) without it stopping.

Looks like there could have been an issue with the file system space on the SD card where the 24G data was sitting. I don't think there was anything wrong with the actual files... because any issues with a file would have been copied with the file. Moving the data off the SD card and then back on to it has corrected the issue.

SW5E (f/w - 1.5.0.93282)
EliteCore Cat-6a - 150ft
by wahlerstudios on Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:41 am
Thanks for the update. It is possible that your problem simply was the formatting of the SD card. You need to use the correct tool and it ALWAYS needs a full formatting, not an erase of data. There are some articles in Knowledge Base explaining everything...

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/s ... -Recording
by robertweston2 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:39 am
Thank you for the link!

SW5E (f/w - 1.5.0.93282)
EliteCore Cat-6a - 150ft

7 posts
Page 1 of 1