6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I know, another "I can't hear anything"m post, I am so sorry but I sincerely do not understand what is going on.

I'm simply trying to make two aux sends for monitors, and be able to EQ each input.

The three inputs discussed below all appear to be passing signal normally. On the Main mix, they sound great and the meters are healthy. The input meters are bouncing nicely. But I need to send these to Mix 1 and Mix 2 (for two monitors), so I can independently control their levels in the main mix.

I've got Mix 1 selected
The Mix 1 mode is set to post
I've got faders for inputs 14, 15 & 16 up
All I hear is input 14, and the EQ works.
When I change the Mix Mode to either of the "pre" settings, all three inputs work but with no EQ.

This behavior is identical on Mix 2.

I have intensely examined input 14 and there is absolutely nothing different about its settings at all, not on any mix. The Main, Mix 1, and Mix 2 all have the same settings on all three inputs.

I have read the manual's section on Aux mixes and Flex mixes. According to that, I should be hearing all three inputs with the ability to EQ. Somehow, input 14 has this magical ability, while 15 & 16 don't.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I don't have a head for this stuff and this has not worked for me since day 1 (five years ago)! I just now realized I could ask the forum. I've been able to get no help from Presonus, I guess it's just too "basic" or something.
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:26 pm
OK, the problem is probably the Post setting for the sends from the channels to the Aux. Pre2 is what you want:
Aux settings.png
  • Pre1 is from after the expander/noise gate but before EQ and compression
  • Pre2 is from after EQ and compression but before the channel faders
  • Post is from after the channel faders
Having Pre1 after the expander/noise gate makes sense because everything before EQ/compression is to remove bad stuff, where EQ and compression is to alter the good stuff.

As for the EQ: Don't forget to switch it on. Most of the FAT components have an on/off switch. Main and Auxes share the input channel FAT settings, and every output also has its own output FAT settings :)
by danielizen on Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
SwitchBack wroteOK, the problem is probably the Post setting for the sends from the channels to the Aux. Pre2 is what you want:
Aux settings.png
  • Pre1 is from after the expander/noise gate but before EQ and compression
  • Pre2 is from after EQ and compression but before the channel faders
  • Post is from after the channel faders
Having Pre1 after the expander/noise gate makes sense because everything before EQ/compression is to remove bad stuff, where EQ and compression is to alter the good stuff.

As for the EQ: Don't forget to switch it on. Most of the FAT components have an on/off switch. Main and Auxes share the input channel FAT settings, and every output also has its own output FAT settings :)
Thank you so much for the quick reply! So I went and swtiched Aux 1 to Pre2, and all the inputs came through, but I was still not able to get the EQ to work. Then I just played around and all of a sudden, it all worked. Aux 1 mode is Post, Aux 2 mode is Pre2, yet all three inputs are passing through with EQ.

Weird but I'll take it. Thanks so much.

BTW My unit doesn't have a screen that looks like that, it looks like this:

by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:15 pm
Your (bottom) picture is from the console's screen, mine is from the Universal Control GUI. But the controls are basically the same.

Your top picture shows the Aux 1 output EQ and yes, the complete Aux 1 mix passes through that before it reaches the output. The on/off button for the EQ, and for the other FAT components, is in the console's FAT control area left of the screen: Button lit = on, button dimmed = off. Easy really.

But note that the output EQ has nothing to do with the Pre1/Pre2/Post setting, which controls which part of the mixer's input channel adjustments goes to the Aux mix too. With the Pre2 setting all the input channel FAT settings for the Main mix also affect those channels in the Aux 1 mix. The Aux output FAT comes after the inputs for that Aux are mixed together.
by danielizen on Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:55 am
SwitchBack wroteYour (bottom) picture is from the console's screen, mine is from the Universal Control GUI. But the controls are basically the same.

Your top picture shows the Aux 1 output EQ and yes, the complete Aux 1 mix passes through that before it reaches the output. The on/off button for the EQ, and for the other FAT components, is in the console's FAT control area left of the screen: Button lit = on, button dimmed = off. Easy really.

But note that the output EQ has nothing to do with the Pre1/Pre2/Post setting, which controls which part of the mixer's input channel adjustments goes to the Aux mix too. With the Pre2 setting all the input channel FAT settings for the Main mix also affect those channels in the Aux 1 mix. The Aux output FAT comes after the inputs for that Aux are mixed together.
Yes thanks I did understand the general Aux 1 EQ being output only, and that did work, but I wanted to be able to tweak each input. And I hear you about the on/off thing, that totally got me a few times in the first few months of using this board!

Somehow it's all working now, even though Aux 1 Pre Mode is set to Post, and Aux 2 pre Mode is set to Pre2! I'm just bummed I don't know why it's working now, and wasn't working before...

Thank you so much for your help!
by SwitchBack on Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:21 am
'Post' means that when channel faders for the Main mix are down that those channels in the Aux mix will be silent too. Maybe that's why it didn't seem to work first time.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1