7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Maybe I’m overthinking this.

Unlike to put some basic compression on my bass guitar channel…like, regular old compression. Then, on top of that, I would also like to use a second compressor that is side chained to the kick.

I am thinking that the best way to do this would be to place the regular compressor on the actual bass channel, then send that to a subgroup and add the compressor for the side chain to the sub group.

This means that I wouldn’t be able to use the fader on the regular channel (or it would affect the way the compression is acting on the subgroup as the volume output varies). I would want to turn it up to unity, and then just use the volume on the subgroup to raise and lower the overall bass guitar, volume, correct?

Am I thinking about this correctly? And will my above scenario work? Or is there a much easier way to achieve this than I’m not thinking about?
by robertweston2 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:38 pm
hmmm... sounds like you may be over-complicating some basic signal routing. For your kick, why not just put a compressor on the kick (its own compressor), separate from a sub-group?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are you needing to add a compressor to a subgroup?

Can you add more insight?

Live sound only - no studio
SL Series iii (all models) f/w - 2.7.2.97735
SW5E (f/w - 1.5.0.93282)
NSB 32.16 / NSB 16.8 (f/w - 1.4.0.87732)
EliteCore Cat-6a - 150ft
Whirlwhind Cat-6a (ENC6ASE CAT6A Ethercon) - 150ft
by SwitchBack on Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:50 pm
Side-chaining the compressor on the subgroup will make it duck the bass depending on the kick send level, by say 4dB. When you set the channel fader for bass lower then the subgroup compressor will still reduce the (lowered) bass level by 4dB, so that's fine. And the send level from the kick channel is pre-FAT&fader so moving the channel fader for kick won't change the reduction either. Happy days :)
by craigbarfield on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:34 pm
SwitchBack wroteSide-chaining the compressor on the subgroup will make it duck the bass depending on the kick send level, by say 4dB. When you set the channel fader for bass lower then the subgroup compressor will still reduce the (lowered) bass level by 4dB, so that's fine. And the send level from the kick channel is pre-FAT&fader so moving the channel fader for kick won't change the reduction either. Happy days :)

Thanks man…

I don’t have the console in front of me, but unless I’m mistaken, I think I realized last night that you can’t sidechain on a subgroup compressor. The option is simply not there like it is on a regular channel. Regular compression, yes…but no SC.

Am I nuts? And if no, then is there any reason I shouldn’t just SC the regular bass channel to the kick, then just do my “normal” bass compression on the subgroup? Seems like it would work.
by craigbarfield on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:38 pm
robertweston2 wrotehmmm... sounds like you may be over-complicating some basic signal routing. For your kick, why not just put a compressor on the kick (its own compressor), separate from a sub-group?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are you needing to add a compressor to a subgroup?

Can you add more insight?

Thanks for trying to help man. I’m trying to sidechain compress a channel. If you don’t know what that is, might want to Google it and read on it. (Not trying to sound like a smart butt when I say that). It’s just that you will learn more by reading someone else’s explanation than mine, haha.

Very common mixing technique, both live and studio.
by SwitchBack on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:40 am
craigbarfield wrote... I think I realized last night that you can’t sidechain on a subgroup compressor. ... is there any reason I shouldn’t just SC the regular bass channel to the kick, then just do my “normal” bass compression on the subgroup? Seems like it would work.

Ah, I see, only Key Source selection on the channels :(

Compression after ducking is not the same as ducking after compression because it will reduce compression when ducking. I can think of 2 solutions:
  • use an external compressor on the bass so you can use the mixer's for the ducking
  • bring the bass channel (after compression) out of the mixer (via a mix output) and back in on a second channel (for the ducking).
The second option uses two mixer channels. With an NSB stagebox as a loopback path you might be able to avoid needing two channels, but that needs some thinking.
by robertweston2 on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:20 am
craigbarfield wrote
SwitchBack wroteSide-chaining the compressor on the subgroup will make it duck the bass depending on the kick send level, by say 4dB. When you set the channel fader for bass lower then the subgroup compressor will still reduce the (lowered) bass level by 4dB, so that's fine. And the send level from the kick channel is pre-FAT&fader so moving the channel fader for kick won't change the reduction either. Happy days :)

Thanks man…

I don’t have the console in front of me, but unless I’m mistaken, I think I realized last night that you can’t sidechain on a subgroup compressor. The option is simply not there like it is on a regular channel. Regular compression, yes…but no SC.

Am I nuts? And if no, then is there any reason I shouldn’t just SC the regular bass channel to the kick, then just do my “normal” bass compression on the subgroup? Seems like it would work.

Yes, I have had the occasion to use side-chaining in live sound (only), however, I have never needed to incorporate a sub-group into the side-chain process, this seemed confusing for me.

Looks like you are in good hands with the others!

Live sound only - no studio
SL Series iii (all models) f/w - 2.7.2.97735
SW5E (f/w - 1.5.0.93282)
NSB 32.16 / NSB 16.8 (f/w - 1.4.0.87732)
EliteCore Cat-6a - 150ft
Whirlwhind Cat-6a (ENC6ASE CAT6A Ethercon) - 150ft

7 posts
Page 1 of 1