9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am working on getting waves studio rack performer integrated into the SLIII, and I am aware that you need one channel that sends and it needs another channel to send back to go out to the mains.

With that, I would like to know a few things. On the sending channel, I am assuming that this channel does NOT need to be assigned to L/R (mains), but where I am confueed is where does the channel send to WAVES via USB? Digital send options is set for Pre, so I am assuming AFTER EQ, compression, etc.
I want make sure that the channel that is receiving the USB return has ZERO processing when it heads out to mains, so I am assuming that it is as easy as turning off EQ/COMP/GATE at the receiving channel.

Sound about right?
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:33 am
Regarding the digital Sends (from mixer to computer and network) Pre means before EQ&Dynamics and Post means after EQ&Dynamics, but still before the channel fader. So Pre will send a clean signal from the preamp, or from the network if the channel was set to network input and Digital Send was set to digital.

The digital Returns (from computer or network to mixer) always insert before EQ&Dynamics. Here's the block diagram of the 32R inputs to illustrate the options:
32R channel block diagram.png
by wahlerstudios on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:16 pm
It is possible to 'insert' external processing. The DAW or the VST host needs to see the analog signal input ("Digital Send Source"), the mixer needs to see the USB signal from the DAW/VST host ("Input"). The screenshot shows the settings in UC Surface. The "Digital Send Options" for input channels is by default set to "Pre".

This will NOT work if the channel input is digital (AVB/Network, USB, SD). Then the DAW/VST host needs to see the USB output send of the mixer and returns the processed signal to another channel of the mixer.

Attachments
PlugIn Routing.jpg
by SteveSavenelli5659 on Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 pm
This is perfect, thank you. I have it setup so channel 4 (lead) input is AVB, digital send to Studiorack Performer (Post to use the EQ prior to digital out), SR sends to SIII Channel 34, SIII channel 34 is setup for input of USB 34, PRE (no fat channel setting).

Works pretty good, the one thing I seem to be fighting now is I have noise on the digital return (USB 34). you can hear the hiss in the background when there is no singing. If I use the original channel (4), no noise at all. I am trying to figure that out now.
by wahlerstudios on Thu May 02, 2024 5:12 am
USB 34 by default is routed to Aux In 1 Right, so the left side is missing, which might be the reason for the hiss problem.

AVB 4 -> Channel 4/USB 4 -> SR -> USB 34 -> Channel 34/Aux In 1 R

Attachments
USB-Output-Sends.jpg
by SteveSavenelli5659 on Sun May 12, 2024 10:40 am
wahlerstudios wroteUSB 34 by default is routed to Aux In 1 Right, so the left side is missing, which might be the reason for the hiss problem.

AVB 4 -> Channel 4/USB 4 -> SR -> USB 34 -> Channel 34/Aux In 1 R

I am wondering, being a 64S, would this still apply? I know the 64S is considered "free", but maybe there is some background gremlins that still tie to the 32S architecture. Ill test and swing back
by SwitchBack on Sun May 12, 2024 4:31 pm
The default patching for the 64S in normal mode has all 64 USB/AVB Sends sourced from the mixer's channels and all 64 USB/AVB Returns go to the mixer's channels (before the Analog/AVB/USB/SD selector that is). So for any custom patching you have to sacrifice Sends from or Returns to mixer channels. Probably in Compatibility Mode (34x34 USB channels) the USB patching is the same but only for 34 Sends and 34 Returns.

In Interface mode USB Sends 1-62 are from mixer channels 1-62 and USB Sends 63/64 are from the mixer's Main mix. USB Returns 1-32 and 55-64 go to mixer channels 1-32 and 55-64, USB Returns 33/34 go to Aux Input 1 L/R, USB Returns 35/36 go to Aux Input 2 L/R, USB Returns 37/38 go to Tape Input L/R, and USB Returns 39-54 go to Aux Outputs 1-16.
by SteveSavenelli5659 on Mon May 13, 2024 10:57 am
SwitchBack wroteThe default patching for the 64S in normal mode has all 64 USB/AVB Sends sourced from the mixer's channels and all 64 USB/AVB Returns go to the mixer's channels (before the Analog/AVB/USB/SD selector that is). So for any custom patching you have to sacrifice Sends from or Returns to mixer channels. Probably in Compatibility Mode (34x34 USB channels) the USB patching is the same but only for 34 Sends and 34 Returns.

In Interface mode USB Sends 1-62 are from mixer channels 1-62 and USB Sends 63/64 are from the mixer's Main mix. USB Returns 1-32 and 55-64 go to mixer channels 1-32 and 55-64, USB Returns 33/34 go to Aux Input 1 L/R, USB Returns 35/36 go to Aux Input 2 L/R, USB Returns 37/38 go to Tape Input L/R, and USB Returns 39-54 go to Aux Outputs 1-16.

I have not changed the mode from default, which I am assuming is interface (not DAW). So what I have setup right now (I am testing tomorrow), Channel 4 (mic) as an example, to Studiorack Performer input, output on Studio rack performer goes to channel 55 on board (USB channel 54 input).

And just to check, USB send on channel 4 is pre (so technically, no FAT channel processing whatsoever). I could change this to POST for the EQ/COMPRESSION PRIOR to studio rack, and then on channel 55, shutoff all the Fat channel processing. Make sense?
by SwitchBack on Mon May 13, 2024 11:20 am
The USB modes I was referring to are:
  • 'Normal' 64x64 USB interfacing, so with USB Compatibility Mode and Interface Mode off
  • USB Compatibility Mode, with 34x34 USB interfacing (for USB ports that struggle with 64x64 channels)
  • Interface Mode, with fixed USB patching including direct USB access to the Mix Outputs (which you don't get in the other modes)
Interface Mode and Compatibility Mode are mutually exclusive. Mode selection is from the Settings tab in Universal Control. If you haven't changed modes or patching for the mixer then it will be running as a 64x64 channel USB interface with all USB sends from the channels and all USB Returns to the channels (pre Analog/Network/USB/SD-card selection).

9 posts
Page 1 of 1