4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I've searched and read the manual, and cannot find a real direct answer to the question (probably bad search terms or a bad brain idk).

Our band currently uses an iPad to control and set up the SL32R, and we run in ears which we control via iPhones etc.. wireless router style.

We would like to record up to 32 channels using a mac or windows laptop (open to recommendations) and at the same time record a stereo mix to the SD card (can it simultaneously?).

I know this can be done a few ways (mainly usb or avb?), and my questions are about once we hook the laptop to do the recording, do we then lose control via the iPad and iPhone.

Ideally we'd like to have these all hooked up working independently at their own function at the same time:

iPad 1: running surface to control the live mix & set the SD card to capture record the stereo mix.
iPad 2: running surface to alternately control the live mix same as above as a backup.
Windows / MAC: Record up to 32 tracks

Thanks!!
by SwitchBack on Sat May 20, 2023 1:15 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

The answer your questions is mainly 'yes'.

- Yes you can 'connect' laptop and other devices at the same time. All devices can be granted full or partial control of the mixer. Connect the laptop only via usb, so disconnect it from the router used to connect the other devices.

- Yes you can use the laptop to record 32 channels (+1 stereo channel), in Capture or in Studio One. Studio One can even record up to 64 channels.

- Yes you can still use an SD card to record 1 stereo track, e.g. the main mix. BUT I think that if you want to do this then you can't use the Capture app on the laptop. This is because UC would see two instances of Capture (one for the SD card and one for the Capture app on the laptop) and controls will then default to the laptop app I guess.

So in this case use Studio One for the laptop recording and you should be good. :)
by wahlerstudios on Sat May 20, 2023 1:21 pm
This looks like all your questions get a 'yes'. 😊 You can record simultaneously via SD and USB and AVB. If you use Capture on a computer, it will make sense to NOT connect it to your wireless network. Then Capture/computer will just 'see' the USB information. Capture/USB can record 32+2 tracks, Capture/SD just one stereo bus (Main or stereo aux mix). You will need UC Surface on a tablet to control Capture/SD.

Mac or Windows work equally well. Just AVB recording needs a Mac, but is not at all as easy as USB recording. You need to understand a lot about networks to make this work and you have to re-organize the routing every time yo want to use it. AVDECC settings can not be stored.

You should see recording and controlling as separate things. Nornally they don't 'disturb' each other. You can use UC Surface and QMix to control the mixes, but the more wireless devices are involved, the more there might see conflicts or problems. There is always a critical phase when iOS has changed and the apps not...
by bastoe on Sat May 20, 2023 9:54 pm
Thank you all, it was the answer we were hoping for :). Now I need to do more of :rtfm2:

4 posts
Page 1 of 1