17 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey PreSonus fam!

I have my StudioLive 32R which has been awesome in a stand-alone config but now I want to expand things a bit so I’m adding a NSB16.8 in the mix.

What I’m trying to accomplish is the following:
1.) get my 1-16 channels analog to be instead from the NSB16.8, ok that one was easy
2.) get 6 aux outputs and main L/R to come out of the NSB16.8, again tricky but figured that out.
3.) now my problem is this, I thought with moving Auxes 1-6 and Main L/R to the NSB I can still use the Auxes 1-16 (from the 32R) to now work with an IEM configuration I want to install going into 8 transmitters (8 stereo sends). I have no idea how to do the routing for that and how can I add those Auxes to my mixer page, doesn’t seem like it wants to let me add any more.

Please assist, I need to know if this is possible or if I have to pony up the money and get a SL3 32SC Mixer and then run the NSB and 32R in “stagebox” mode so I can get all the Auxes and control I need.
Last edited by ghoxqesc on Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:19 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Alas, a 32R gives you 16 Aux mixes (8 stereo) max, all with Aux outputs on the mixer. A stagebox won't expand that total; for more Aux mixes you need more mixers (e.g. another 32R or EarMix 16Ms).

For say a 24R that would be slightly different. That mixer also has 16 Aux mixes but outputs for only 12. A stagebox would provide outputs for the remaining 4 aux mixes too.
by ghoxqesc on Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:46 pm
Ah I see, so the output processsing capability is maxed out and that’s predetermined by the mixer.

So if I pony up the money and get a SL3 32SC my outputs can be expanded right?
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:03 pm
Yes, the 32SC gives you another 16 Aux mixes, with 10 outputs. So it's another example where a stagebox can provide the missing outputs. In fact the 32SC/NSB16.8 combination is pretty much a perfect pair as the stagebox provides the 'missing' 16 mic/line inputs, the 'missing' 6 aux outputs, and 2 outputs for the main mix. Add the 32R and you'll have 32 aux mixes with outputs for all.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:02 pm
The mixers have 16 aux mixes (except 16R and 64S), so if you need more aux mixes than 16, you can add another mixer and use it in Monitor Mixer Mode or Stand-alone Mode. This means that both mixers need to be connected to a router, so that they have access to UC Surface. The mixers will show up as two riders, you can toggle between the mixers. The mixers share their input signals, or better: both mixers can add signals to the network and receive signals from the network, so it doesn't matter where the mixers are located.

A combination 32SC (or SL16) and 32R is perfect, but two 32R are a very nice alternative, if you're ready and willing to mix via tablet and/or computer. If you're looking for faders and buttons and everything, there is no way around a 64S with its 32 aux mixes and two 32R as "stageboxes". The NSB stageboxes do not add functions to the network. They provide simply and nothing else than inputs and outputs for the mixer(s) of the network.

By the way, you have used the 32R as mixer and not in "Stand-alone Mode". This term belongs to the three basic network functions of the mixers, which is Stagebox Mode, Monitor Mixer Mode or Stand-alone Mode. This might be a little confusing, but it's important to know what the terms really mean.
by ghoxqesc on Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:03 pm
Thanks so much for the assistance guys, I think this is what I’m going to do, please let me know that I’m doing this right.

1.) Go out and get a SL3 32SC and run a Cat 6 cable to the same WiFi Router my 32R is plugged into so I can access both mixers on my iPad in UC Surface

2.) Connect the mixer to the NSB 16.8 on the AVB A Channel and Connect the 32R via the AVB B Channel

3.) Set the 32R to “monitor mixer” mode. Give my band mates access to the 8 stereo aux feeds of the 32R for our IEM rig setup.

So from what I understand we’re controlling the same 32 inputs but the auxes from the 32SC I’ll have access to will ideally be my Main L/R and 6 more flex mixes coming out of the NSB 16.8.

The goal is basically if the 32R/IEMs crap out on us we still have the 32SC with our floor monitors.
by SwitchBack on Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:18 pm
That sounds correct:
- AVB (CAT5e/CAT6) from 32SC to NSB16.8 to 32R
- Control network (CAT5 will do) from both mixers to WiFi router
- Set all 32SC channels to use AVB input from NSB16.8 and/or from 32R
- Have the 32SC use internal clock and the 32R use network clock
- Set the first AVB input stream on the 32R to use input from the 32SC (for clock sync)
- Set the NSB16.8 outputs to take their input from the 32SC (also for clock sync)
- Set 32R channels to use AVB input from NSB16.8 where needed
- Band members can control their own stereo iem mix on either mixer
- Monitor mixer mode on the 32R is only handy if you want to use its main outputs as main mix output from the 32SC. In stand-alone mode you can use the 32R's main mix as an extra iem mix.
by ghoxqesc on Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:23 am
SwitchBack wroteThat sounds correct:
- AVB (CAT5e/CAT6) from 32SC to NSB16.8 to 32R
- Control network (CAT5 will do) from both mixers to WiFi router
- Set all 32SC channels to use AVB input from NSB16.8 and/or from 32R
- Have the 32SC use internal clock and the 32R use network clock
- Set the first AVB input stream on the 32R to use input from the 32SC (for clock sync)
- Set the NSB16.8 outputs to take their input from the 32SC (also for clock sync)
- Set 32R channels to use AVB input from NSB16.8 where needed
- Band members can control their own stereo iem mix on either mixer
- Monitor mixer mode on the 32R is only handy if you want to use its main outputs as main mix output from the 32SC. In stand-alone mode you can use the 32R's main mix as an extra iem mix.

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions, quick question about setting the 32R's first AVB input stream to be from the 32SC, I still want the NSB inputs 1-16 to be seen by the 32R so I just want to make sure this step doesn't make my band members lose control of inputs 1-16 for the IEM controls. So as long as my NSB 1-16 inputs and inputs 17-32 of the 32R are recognized by both the 32R and 32SC and my NSB outputs 1-8 are solely for the 32SC I should be good. Thanks again you've been super helpful!
by SwitchBack on Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:11 am
Ah OK, you want 8 Aux mixes from the 32R to go to the 8 stagebox outputs. That changes matters. It means that the (first and only) AVB Input stream of the NSB16.8 must be sourced from the 32R, which means that the 32R must be the AVB network's clock 'master' (the one device on Internal clock in the network). That requires the 32SC to use Network Stream as its clock source, and to receive AVB Inputs 1-8 (the first AVB input stream) from the 32R.

The alternative is to have 4 band members control 4 stereo Aux mixes on the 32SC. That way the 32SC can be clock master, sending those 8 Auxes to the NSB16.8. Up to you really how you want to map&patch things.

I always try to use the default patch settings of the mixers to my advantage. Less work, and less headache when things don't work as planned. So I would keep the 16 Aux mixes of the 32R on the 32R's Mix outputs, source the 8 NSB outputs from 32SC Aux Mixes and have 4 band members control those.
by ghoxqesc on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:22 am
SwitchBack wroteAh OK, you want 8 Aux mixes from the 32R to go to the 8 stagebox outputs. That changes matters. It means that the (first and only) AVB Input stream of the NSB16.8 must be sourced from the 32R, which means that the 32R must be the AVB network's clock 'master' (the one device on Internal clock in the network). That requires the 32SC to use Network Stream as its clock source, and to receive AVB Inputs 1-8 (the first AVB input stream) from the 32R.

The alternative is to have 4 band members control 4 stereo Aux mixes on the 32SC. That way the 32SC can be clock master, sending those 8 Auxes to the NSB16.8. Up to you really how you want to map&patch things.

I always try to use the default patch settings of the mixers to my advantage. Less work, and less headache when things don't work as planned. So I would keep the 16 Aux mixes of the 32R on the 32R's Mix outputs, source the 8 NSB outputs from 32SC Aux Mixes and have 4 band members control those.

Oh no, sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. I do want the NSB outputs 1-8 to be solely from the 32SC, and I want to separate the 16 auxes for the 32R for 8 separate IEM stereo mixes. and then my NSB will have Main L/R and then 6 more aux mixes available.

I do have inputs 25-30 on my 32R for 6 wireless mics (on the back of the 32R so the cabling/front panels on my racks look clean). I just want to make sure in this setup we're describing that I still have FOH control of these microphones on the 32SC and my band members will be able to have aux mix control the instruments (plugged into the NSB 16.8, inputs 1-16) as well as their vocals (32R channels 25-30). I will keep FOH capability/aux control capability of the NSB outputs for the 32SC on one iPad with my FOH guy and then the band members can control their IEM mixers I'll set permissions for them for for the 32R.

So the goal is basically to have the band members control their IEMs independently with inputs going into the NSB and the 32R and then for my FOH guy to have control of FOH coming from Main L/R as well as 6 Aux mixes coming out of the NSB16.8 stage box. The ultimate goal is to have a backup/redundancy system in place incase the IEMs fail we can still have our floor monitors and FOH sound isn't affected.

I should request to setup a StudioLive Date with you when I get the 32SC in and you could help me run through the config/patching process of all 3 AVB devices together haha.
by SwitchBack on Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:14 pm
You can limit access of band members to only the Aux mixes or to only their own Aux mix. That way FOH can keep exclusive full control over the preamps, which is the only part of the signal path in the mixers which must be shared between all mixes. You can share more between mixes but not less.

So FOH can set the input gain levels for the 32SC, the 32R and the NSB16.8, have every device broadcast all its inputs on the network, select out of all those channels 32 inputs for the 32SC's channels and 32 inputs for the 32R's channels, and then it's each mix for itself.

Sometimes the only way to really understand something is to dig in and try things out. And with all the flexibility there's no doubt more than one solution for every job you throw at these mixers. Just go for it :)
by ericdpaul on Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:07 pm
Hi Folks, I am having an issue with my aux mixes 1-16 not being stereo when I send to the NBS. Any suggestions?

I have verified that my cables are TRS stereo 1/4 to XLR and that the IEM transmitter and receiver are set to Stereo but everything coming out of the NSB is in mono.

Thank you,
Eric
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:37 pm
"Stereo TRS" just means symmetric, equivalent to the (mono) XLR connector. You need two outputs for stereo signals:

1+2
3+4
5+6
7+8
9+10
11+12
13+14
15+16
by ericdpaul on Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:43 pm
That is how I have it patched

Aux 1-2 Stereo Mix
Aux 3-4 Stereo Mix
Aux 5-6 Stereo Mix

etc.

Never had an issue when coming right out of the SL32R only since routing through the NSB 32 16.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:09 pm
Have you set the routing of the NSB stagebox correctly? The screenshot shows the setting for a NSB 8.8. Aux mixes 1-6 are by default routed to AVB sends 41-46, so you need to make the stagebox 'listen' to those streams.

Attachments
NSB_routing_modified.jpg
by ericdpaul on Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:57 am
Yes this is the routing that I chose. I am getting audio on all Aux sends just not stereo.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:29 pm
Aux 1 is 'left' and aux 2 is 'right', if aux mixes 1+2 are linked in the StudioLive mixer and the panning of channels is set. Then you need an adapter cable from 2x XLR to the stereo input of your IEM devices. You should make sure that aux 1 is routed to AVB output send 41 and aux 2 to AVB 42. If aux 1 is also patched to AVB 42, you'll hear two mono signals.

17 posts
Page 1 of 1