2 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to use the mono/center output to drive a sidechain input on a compressor. For testing I'm using a kick drum on Ch 3. I assign to Mono and L/R as expected. However I'm getting very low output from the center channel output. To boost it, I have to boost it either with +10 on mono send, which isn't quite enough, and/or push up the faders, however I'd like to send more out to the center than to the main mix (in fact, I may want to remove it entirely from the stereo mix).

Am I missing something here in terms of workflow? I've checked L/R + C balance and that my mono send is at unity, but I feel like I'm gain staging too aggressively by doing that.
by SwitchBack on Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:54 am
I wonder...

I never used a 64S so don't know from experience, but the center output on that mixer seems to work much like a subgroup output, be it with its output level also depending on the main output fader setting. From your post about main output level I take that your main fader is set at a really low level so that would give a low center output level too.

But you take your main output not from the outputs on the mixer but from a stagebox. Could it be that the Digital Send Option on the mixer's main output is set to Pre rather than Post? That would make the main output's AVB send to the stagebox independent from its fader setting: You can set the main fader really low, the output from the stagebox would still be at unity output level, and the center output would be really quiet. So I'd check that main output Digital Send Option setting.

2 posts
Page 1 of 1