5 posts
Page 1 of 1
We have a matrix mix sending output to computer via standard WDM 7/8 to a Windows PC.

The sound is already a bit loud in our Main Mix and I am primarily using Main Mix in the Matrix Mix sending output to the PC (we switch mics a lot so we're muting/unmuting in main mix a lot and want to pass that part of main mix directly to the matrix mix). Is there a way to lessen the output on Main Mix and then boost it in the Matrix Mix Channel "M1" (Main Mix) ... this would allow a little additional gain to the PC.

The PC mic input is already set at 100 and the program on Windows (Audacity at the moment but will be using a streamer at some point) just picks up that mic setting for its input and doesn't seem to have the option to furtherr boost/gain the signal from WDM 7/8.

Thanks,

DT

StudioLive 32SC
by wahlerstudios on Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:10 pm
You can increase volume by setting the matrix mix to Pre1 or Pre2. This simply deactivates the Main fader (not the volume) on the input side of the matrix mix. Then you can add make-up gain in the compressor. The Digital Send Options of the matrix should by default be set to Post, so that the master fader controls the volunem sent to the digital domain.

Attachments
matrix.JPG
by truanj on Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:50 pm
Thanks for the tip.

What difference in output would be expected by adding gain on the Compressor or the Equalizer... would it be additive to do both (e.g. they both contribute to overall gain realized on the PC which is receiving this mix?)

I tried both but didn't see much net gain in the dB levels seen in Wirecast which is the software listening to the WDM 7/8 recording device on the PC where the mix is directed.

I also have both Pre1 and Pre2 set. Will having both configured add anything gain or ... only the one currently selected on the digital mixer changes anything?

I have tried a few options but haven't seen any real change in output to the PC. Moving the Main mix slider to +10dB definitely changes things on the PC so the board can have an impact but the gain on these matrix mix settings seems to only have a very small additional effect. And of course, I'd rather have it set at Unity in the matrix mix so if we do get an input which is much quieter, I can use the slider to actually boost it not already be at 100% with no room to increase the output further.

I also tried connecting Wirecast to the ASIO versus WSAPI drivers for the 32SC and it didn't seem to change much -- in fact, the WSAPI driver seemed to give more gain than the ASIO (which I thought was a bit backwards compared to trying some ASIO drivers for another failed device previously).

p.s. I hooked an old M-Audio "M-Track" Audio Interface ( here ) in via physical mix outputs (stereo linked Mix 7/8 on the 32SC, TS interconnect cables to each LINE IN port of the M-Track, USB 2.0 to PC) and that gave me a lot of boost on the signal heard by Wirecast on the PC. It was clipping at just about 50% of gain available on the physical device (left and right gain dials at 12 o'clock) at Unity on the 32SC in the matrix mix sending the signal out to both USB and Analog. And when it clipped on the M-Audio device that was pretty accurate to Wirecast reporting clipping in it's audio meter on the PC.

StudioLive 32SC
by wahlerstudios on Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:53 pm
Hmmm, when Fat Channel settings show no effect in the digital domain, it might be that the "Digital Send Options" are not set to "Post". You can find the digital pre/post selection on the second page of the mix settings. Just click on the cog wheel.
by SwitchBack on Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:57 am
Use the meters on the mixer to assess the situation. It is very strange to have a strong main mix and then have a weak matrix mix with main in it. So something is off. What sort of levels do you get on the main outputs? And what sort of levels do you get on that matrix mix output?

Also note that there is an absolute maximum send level (or you'll be clipping) so the mixer can't always make up for low settings on the computer side. If the mixer's meters show healthy levels then have a close look at the settings on the computer side.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1