36 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Well how do I switch individual flex mixes back to normal mode? :)
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm
Select the aux mix, go to settings, select "Local Mix".

Attachments
InterfaceMode.JPG
by damirvukelic1 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:04 am
Thanks a lot.
Btw I discovered a rather strange thing yesterday. I don"t know if routing on pipeline/mixer was wrong, but when I utilized the pream as external gear through pipeline I got a sort of negative latency. Meaning the snare drum track I was putting it through was like a half second sooner than all other tracks.
Listening to it initially it just sounded it was behind everything, but it was off by like -0.5 secs.
by damirvukelic1 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:16 pm
wahlerstudios wrote"Pipeline XT" has always been the way to do this, now "Interface Mode" is another option and sometimes a better solution. Using the Series III mixer in Interface Mode means that all available mix outputs (not Main L/R) receive their signals directly from the DAW. The technical realization is very similar to how you would send cue mixes to the outputs, meaning that USB sends 39-54 are used to "transport" the DAW signals. This is the routing:

Output 1 = USB 39
Output 2 = USB 40
Output 3 = USB 41
Output 4 = USB 42
Output 5 = USB 43
Output 6 = USB 44
Output 7 = USB 45
Output 8 = USB 46
Output 9 = USB 47
Output 10 = USB 48
Output 11 = USB 49
Output 12 = USB 50
Output 13 = USB 51
Output 14 = USB 52
Output 15 = USB 53
Output 16 = USB 54

You can literally route ANY signal of the DAW to the outputs, the processed signal is then returned to an input channel of the mixer and sent to the DAW. The interesting thing here is that you can switch individual mix outputs back to normal mode (aux, matrix, subgroup), so you can run Interface Mode and flex mix mode simultaneously. If there is not more in use than the four signals to the new preamp, then you can use the remaining mixes as aux/monitor/in-ear mixes or as subgroups.

Studio One has a "StudioLive 32 Interface Mode" song template ("32 channels and 8 stereo Cue Mixes"), which can be used for Interface Mode. The problem is that this template is using stereo tracks as returns, which is useful for cue mixes, but not necessarily for Interface Mode. But you can easily replace the stereo tracks by mono tracks and store this setting as an own song template.

Wahler hi. One more question:
Though I did not have time to go to my studio today, I was wondering, when in interface mode, where is the main L/R routed?
Last time I tried interface mode I could not hear anything, including L/R.
My studio monitors are connected to the mixer's monitor outs, so if all those outputs change, what happens with main?
Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 pm
USB I/O routing in the 1-38 range is not changed at all, so you get the 32 input channels and the three stereo channels (Aux In 1, Aux In 2, Tape In). The mix bus of Studio One is routed to USB 37+38, which is Tape In on a Series II mixer. If USB is selected as input source for Tape In, you should hear the mix. Make sure that the settings for the Monitor section of the mixer are correct.
by SwitchBack on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:06 pm
Probably we shouldn't use "USB inputs" and "USB sends" inside S1. S1 has Inputs and Outputs. Depending on the interface these can be through USB, AVB, Thunderbolt, FireWire, ... but S1 doesn't really care. :)
by damirvukelic1 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:11 pm
Ok
I got everything working, both interface mode and normal...
However, I am still getting that strange latency. The pipeline detects what latency is going on, but after I engage it, the track that is on it is not in sync with other tracks. Maybe I should try a "real" interface made for this, instead going through the mixer? What do you think guys?
by SwitchBack on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:46 pm
Did you let Pipeline set the delay compensation? Have a look at this video for the details (4:55 for the delay compensation). And the StudioLive should be fine with Pipeline. A Thunderbolt interface will have a lower latency but that's Thunderbolt vs. USB rather than mixer vs. plain interface.

PS. You can't say I didn't warn you about latency ;)
by damirvukelic1 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:58 am
Hehe yes you did.
Of course I let pipeline detect latency, IIRC it detected it around 45ms.
But like I said in previous posts, something strange is happening: the signal that I run through outboard gear and back, that signal (that track) gets playbacked earlier-SOONER ....than all other tracks.
I ran my snare drum .wav through it and initially I thought it was lagging behind, but upon closer listening, it was being played earlier than the rest of the tracks. As if pipeline moved all other tracks lagging behind it.

They only way this works for me is with a single file inside studio one project, because obvioisly there are no other tracks that it could lag behind (or in front of)
by SwitchBack on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:29 am
This should work correctly with multiple tracks. Maybe you have to set the delay manually (also shown in the video).
by damirvukelic1 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:12 am
Yep, tried manually, no success. It either doesn't respond at all to manual increments or it worsens it.
by damirvukelic1 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:03 pm
Just to let you guys that I solved the "latency" issue.
I went for interface mode on the mixer and simply muted all the channels on the mixer.
I am now getting pure outboard mix within selected track.
So the latency was coming out of some of the channels from the mixer. Not really sure which or how, but it works :)
by damirvukelic1 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:43 pm
wahlerstudios wrote"Pipeline XT" has always been the way to do this, now "Interface Mode" is another option and sometimes a better solution. Using the Series III mixer in Interface Mode means that all available mix outputs (not Main L/R) receive their signals directly from the DAW. The technical realization is very similar to how you would send cue mixes to the outputs, meaning that USB sends 39-54 are used to "transport" the DAW signals. This is the routing:

Output 1 = USB 39
Output 2 = USB 40
Output 3 = USB 41
Output 4 = USB 42
Output 5 = USB 43
Output 6 = USB 44
Output 7 = USB 45
Output 8 = USB 46
Output 9 = USB 47
Output 10 = USB 48
Output 11 = USB 49
Output 12 = USB 50
Output 13 = USB 51
Output 14 = USB 52
Output 15 = USB 53
Output 16 = USB 54

You can literally route ANY signal of the DAW to the outputs, the processed signal is then returned to an input channel of the mixer and sent to the DAW. The interesting thing here is that you can switch individual mix outputs back to normal mode (aux, matrix, subgroup), so you can run Interface Mode and flex mix mode simultaneously. If there is not more in use than the four signals to the new preamp, then you can use the remaining mixes as aux/monitor/in-ear mixes or as subgroups.

Studio One has a "StudioLive 32 Interface Mode" song template ("32 channels and 8 stereo Cue Mixes"), which can be used for Interface Mode. The problem is that this template is using stereo tracks as returns, which is useful for cue mixes, but not necessarily for Interface Mode. But you can easily replace the stereo tracks by mono tracks and store this setting as an own song template.

Wahler, hi.
Something here is unclear to me. If output 1 and output 2, in interface mode, are USB 39 & 40. Then what are the USB outputs for MAIN?
Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:08 am
Main L/R is USB 39+40, but on the "input" side. I know, this is not really clear, but it's better to understand when you use the "mixer view". The mixer 'sees' 64 USB inputs from a DAW, which are the USB sends 39-54 for the direct signals to the flex mix outputs. It also 'sees' 64 USB outputs, like USB sends 39+40 for Main L/R to the DAW. The routing of USB inputs and USB outputs is completely separated.

Attachments
USB-Output-Sends.jpg
by SwitchBack on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:30 am
And the Main mix of the mixer is not affected by Interface Mode, so there are no direct USB channels going to the main outputs of the mixer. If you want to use them as 'interface' outputs then you'll have to 'mix' a pair of mixer input channels (with USB input from S1) to the Main outputs.
by damirvukelic1 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:13 am
I am not 100% I understood what you just said, but the reason why I am asking this is:

when in interface mode, and when I select the main output to be channels 37/38 (in S1), then that is actually being controlled by tape-in in the mixer as main output.
However, when I use tape-in for this purpose I cannot get my outboard gear/pipeline to work without latency issues. That is, when the tape-in is used, there is significant delay with the track that is being used with pipeline plugin, it is impossible to mix that way.

So, when I selected channels 39/40 to be my main outputs instead of 37/38 I get no latency issues and pipeline does what it PROMISES :) to do.... but those would actually be my mix 1 and 2 outputs. (by the way, I had to get out the interface mode, pan mix1 hard left, pan mix2 hard right in order to get a stereo main out that way). But this solution is making me use two outputs of the mixer to serve the purpose of a main out. If we exclude the tape-in, is this the only solution to get the main-out out in interface mode?

36 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2