6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hopefully an easy question, but for the Life of me I can;t find this documented anywhere.

Where is the signal path is the Phones and the monitor output?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able to monitor an output with GEQ. I know I can do this with my monitors by using the main output as I have a Mackie Big Know Passive and I route the Monitor and the main outs to it. The problem is it does not have a phones out.

I also know, through trial that that GEQ has no impact on the monitor or phones, even if they are selected as the source. So its pre-fader and pre-GEQ, but where exactly?

Also, it would be nice if this were selectable.....

R.
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:22 am
The details can be found in chapter 10 (Monitoring Controls) and section 10.1.1 (Solo Modes) in the Owner's Manual. Frankly I find this complicated too. What I do is set the mode to CR (Control Room) which gives me what I'm used to from most of the mixing consoles I worked with. The other modes (Latch and Radio) no doubt have their good uses too, just not for me :)

GEQs are always right before the physical outputs because their purpose is speaker/room correction. Any monitoring (through phones or other speakers, maybe even in another room) really shouldn't have that speaker/room treatment in it.
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:37 pm
The block diagram shows the signal flow and where the GEQ is located. You can find the blockdiagram on the download pages of the "blue" mixers.

Attachments
blockdiagram.jpg
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:16 pm
Funny. Before you posted that piece of the block diagram of the SL16 I had a look at the block diagram of the 32R thinking: "That can't be right." I just tested it and it isn't. So the block diagram of the 'retired' SL16 is correct regarding solo bus routing and the block diagram of the 32R isn't. For the record :|
by robgrigg on Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:38 pm
Thanks again gentlemen.

The reason I am looking for this is that I have some hearing loss in some high frequencies (long time drummer) and I want a different EQ on my phones so that I do t scare the others in the control room.

A GEQ would be great.

I have two routes. 1. Change up my monitoring solution so that I can switch the phones and send the main mix and the monitor mix to it, or get a switchable headphone amp and do the same.

R.
by SwitchBack on Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:52 pm
Maybe there's a solution in patching a pair of outputs (with GEQ) back into the mixer and then monitor that? And the AVB sends from outputs come after the GEQs, so an EarMix should have the GEQs in them. Hmm...

6 posts
Page 1 of 1