5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just bought a SLIII 24 and haven’t had a chance to use it yet. Haha, bought it and then left for vacation, but excited to use when I get home. Here’s a question that is likely dumb.

If I setup multiple channels with tweaks to the EQ/Comp/Gate and add reverb for live use in a venue, and record those channels via the SD card or Capture, will I be able to change those EQ/Comp/Gate/Verb settings later in StudioOne for mixdown? For example, the EQ I needed for the live venue will almost certainly NOT be what I want on the recording later. Will I be able to re-EQ the tracks later the way I need to, as if I ran the EQ flat during the performance? Same for other effects I added?
by SwitchBack on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:48 am
Not dumb at all. There’s only one Series III mixer with 24 in the name and that’s the 24R. The SD-card in the rack mixers can record only one stereo mix. The signal processing in that mix can not be undone. But there are ways to avoid the output EQ in that recording.

The second option is to use USB, and Capture on a computer. That way you can record all mixer inputs as individual tracks. The default setting is recording the tracks from before your FAT processing. And you also get the option to save your mixer setting with the session when you close Capture. That way you can re-open the session on the mixer, recall the session settings and change them as you like. Or you can open the session in Studio One, recall the FAT settings (same as on the mixer) and do the adjustments there. Or you can start with the virgin tracks on a clean slate, in Studio One or on the mixer.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:08 am
The "SL 24" is the 'blue' Series III console, which is now (with reduced features) the 'grey' SL 32SX. The 24R is the rack mixer. They all belong to the 32-channel mixers of Series III.

You should ALWAYS record 'raw' tracks and leave sound processing in the mix scene or project/scene you store. The mix scene is part of a Capture recording session and it is a 'snapshot' of the whole mixer, including monitor mixes and network settings. As it says it's "fully recallable". The project/scene management basically does the same. It just not connected to a recording. Both types of scenes can be transferred to another computer, so nothing gets lost. Also unique is that Studio One can 'read' (recording) mix scenes.

The project/scene option is quite useful because you can separate recording and mixing. Just recall a project/scene and play the recorded raw tracks. All processing will be available again.
by craigbarfield on Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:33 pm
Thanks for the replies! Yes, this is the 24 channel, non-rack, version that I am talking about (now discontinued).

OK, so I if I understand the above correctly, when I use the capture software, it will either automatically, or I will have the option to, record the raw tracks as well as have the option to bring the processing back in if I want to. I’m sure this will all make more sense once I actually use it, I was just trying to learn a little bit while I didn’t have everything in front of me.

Side question, is the Capture software completely free? It looks like somebody has already registered the serial number on our mixer since we bought it used. Don’t know if the software needs the serial number to activate or not.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:43 pm
Capture is free and here is the download page of your mixer. The latest firmware is also available there. I would recommend to contact Support for changing registration, if there is no chance to contact the former owner and ask him to unregister the mixer.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studi ... /downloads

5 posts
Page 1 of 1