4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Am I missing something here or there is no way to sync faders between SL32 console and Studio One? As much as I love how fat channels sync between the two, I wonder if I could do that with faders as well? And how?
If that is not possible, can I sync Studio One with UC,
or
sync SL32 with Studio One Remote?
by wahlerstudios on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:07 am
The "syncing" of the two Fat Channel parts is an exception. There is no other way to synchronize audio functions of mixer and DAW. Everything else is USB functionality, which means that the mixer works as audio interface for inputs and outputs.

DAW Mode is an additional and separate function. It adds a "second heart" to the mixer (32SC). The mixer continues to work as mixer and interface, but all physical elements of the mixer become "occupied" by Studio One. Example: The faders are NOT controlling audio, they represent the faders of the DAW. The DAW Mode button allows to toggle between the two modes. They work simultaneously, but they are controlled separately.

The softwares follow this strict separation. UC Surface deals with the mixer, Studio One Remote with Studio One. There is no connection between the two programs and they share no functions, but you can use them at the same time.

Another mode needs to be mentioned: Interface Mode. This is a new feature in the Series III world, allowing to route signals (tracks, buses) of a DAW directly to the (up to) 16 physical flex mix outputs of the mixer. This is very helpful for re-amping and connecting external hardware, but also for feeding non-AVB personal mixer systems.

DAW Mode can make the traditional cue mixes obsolete. Just use the flex mix outputs of the 32SC. Flex mixes (aux, matrix) have more options and they are easier to control (UC Surface, QMix). But there is now also a variation of Interface Mode just for cue mixes. Studio One has templates with the routing of up to 8 stereo cue mixes directly to the flex mix outputs. This can also be controlled in DAW Mode, so cue mixes finally have got physical faders... ;-)

It's a pity that your 32SC is missing most of the physcial elements for DAW Mode. You can use the faders and some buttons and the touch screen, of course, but that's it. The scribble strips, the encoders, the buttons and the back/forward options for DAW Mode are missing. 32SX and 32SC are the mixers that definitely need a computer screen and a mouse for DAW Mode. SL 16 and SL 24 had full DAW functionality.
by damirvukelic1 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:33 pm
Ah well, since I am making a ready-to-go mix so that I can record myself instantly using a mixer only, I will just manually mirror the faders from the studio one project.

I recorded myself into studio one, and then only used fatchannel eq and dynamics to adjust parameters of my tracks. The only thing that was missing in this kind of operation would be the faders. But ok
by wahlerstudios on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:02 pm
There is a trick... ;-) If there are not more than 16 channels, you can route a channel to a postfade aux mix and record the aux output instead of the input channel.

Channel 1 -> Aux 1 -> USB 1 -> Track 1
Channel 2 -> Aux 2 -> USB 2 -> Track 2
Channel 3 -> Aux 3 -> USB 3 -> Track 3
Channel 16 -> Aux 16 - USB 16 -> > Track 16

When the aux faders (input and send) are set to unity, the faders will follow the movements of the faders of Main mix. The recorded signals are now not taken directly after the preamps, but after the aux send faders. USB sends follow the routing, so there is no danger that channel 1 sends to USB 1 if Aux 1 is set to USB output 1.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1