4 posts
Page 1 of 1
This may be a stupid question, but let's say I was working on someting with my 32sc together with my computer (studio live) and ok, everything I do on a FAT channel mirrors on both sides, that is completely understood.
HOWEVER, what happens if I disconnect the computer from the mixer and continue making changes on the FAT channel,
on mixer or
software or
both of them...
and then, let's say I tomorrow reconnect them again, which one gets the priority when syncing between one another? Is it the mixer, or studio one or there is some kind of option to let one of them always be the "lead" upon connecting?
thanks
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Basically mixer and Studio One act individually, unless you link the two Fat Channels. When there are linked it depends WHERE you change settings. The respective counterpart will follow.

My experience is that it makes most sense to let Studio One have priority and do not use the mixer for sound processing. The workflow is getting too confusing and when you use DAW Mode, you don't need the "mixer" for mixing anyway. Just my 2 cents. ;-)
by damirvukelic1 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:47 pm
wahlerstudios wroteBasically mixer and Studio One act individually, unless you link the two Fat Channels. When there are linked it depends WHERE you change settings. The respective counterpart will follow.
;-)

Well, let's say I was practicing drums and I did some corrections to Eq. During practice, the software would mirror what I did on the mixer.
However, maybe I recorded myself as well, and then went home and listened a bit to the recorded tracks and decided to fine tune fat channel Eq some more.

And then tomorrow I get back to studio carrying my laptop;
What happens that time when I load up newest studio one session, and at the same time I connect it to SL? Whose eq settings will be mirrored and whose will remain the same as they were last used?
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:58 pm
There is no answer to this question, just a narration... ;-) I have been trying to find out how this interaction between the Fat Channels works and what I have found out is that only Studio One has the Fat Channel link function, while hardware functions (gain, polarity etc.) are generally synchronized.

The "key" is the blue link symbol in the top right corner of the StudioOne Fat Channel. This will synchronize the Fat Channels and if you load preset "Kick 1.Drum" on the mixer, Studio One will follow. You can tweak left or right and the two Fat Channels are perfectly synchronized. Just that Studio One does not have compatible presets. It has its own presets, which have more options. They're not "exact" Fat Channel settings, at least not StudioLive Fat Channel presets. This means that the StudioLive mixer can not always "understand" what Studio One is doing...

I am not continuously working with Studio One (I'm doing live sound), so this was enough for me to learn about the interaction of hardware and software and what I have learned is to always (!) give Studio One priority. Studio One has one problem: it can not save mix scenes as Capture can do, which allow to recall any setting of the mixer, including network settings. What is stored in the mix scene can be transported or transmitted or whatever to any computer and mixer.

Studio One is the center of your work, not the mixer, so the Studio One project is the place where the information is. This is exactly the way you will work in DAW Mode, because the StudioLive mixer becomes a DAW controller (with some audio interface functions).

Attachments
FatChannels_connected.jpg

4 posts
Page 1 of 1