17 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have tried to find the answer to this question but have been unsuccessful.

I have a 32S and I am playing a StudioOne song into the 32S via USB. I also have a NSB 8.8 stagebox that I have my mains plugged into 41-48 and a mic in output 1 of the stagebox. When I play the StudioOne song I can hear it thru the mains but I have no control over the sound either on the channel fader or the mains fader. I have tried to check the pre and post fader settings but they don't seem to do anything. I have the latest firmware on the mixer and UC control.

What am I missing? I am sure its something simple I just can't find it.

Thanks,
Kevin
by wahlerstudios on Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:29 pm
The input sources of the 32S channels must be set to USB, if you want to use faders. You probably hear USB 37+38, which is "Tape In" (input source USB) and the output bus of Studio One.
by SwitchBack on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:28 pm
Channels 41-48 are the default AVB channels for the aux mix outputs. Are you using the correct faders for the aux mixes and master?

Also, the AVB mapping allows you to map the mixer inputs straight to the NSB outputs. You may have mapped your USB signals in a way that completely bypasses the mixer controls.
by kpenhorwood on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:41 pm
Yeah, that is what I am trying to figure out. I must have done something but I have no idea what. I have gone into all the menus and checked the mapping and I can't see where I have done anything wrong. The channel and master faders don't affect anything even though I see that the channel strip is getting signal on the meter. However the master meter does not seem to be getting signal even though the outputs I have setup on my stageboxes as mains is getting signal because I hear the track. I think I am starting to confuse myself.
by kpenhorwood on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:43 pm
I might just do a master reset and start over.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:03 pm
This page might be helpful for AVB routing. If you're using AVB Sends 41-48 for the NSB outputs, Main L/R (AVB 39+40) must be routed to two of the outputs. Example: Main L (AVB 39) -> AVB 47 (Output 7). Also make sure that outputs are set to "Analog". This means that the input source of an output channel is the mixer and its faders, not the AVB Network.

Attachments
AVB-Output-Sends.jpg
by kpenhorwood on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 pm
Okay, I am kind of understanding that sheet.

So I am utilizing AVB 41-48 as my output sources for the stage box. My main speakers are connected to outputs 1 & 2 on the stage box which I believe should equal 41 & 42 in the AVB sends. My audio is coming from Studio One via USB into the mixer and is using channels 1 & 2 as my output channels in studio one. So in the digital Patching it looks like this:

Input sources:

Ch. 1 is set to USB 1
Ch. 2 is set to USB 2

AVB Sends:
AVB 41 = Ch. 1
AVB 42 = Ch. 2

So with this setup I am able to get audio out of studio one into the mixer and out the mains but I have not control of the sound with any faders. I can also see the meters on channels 1 and 2 and they are getting the audio but the main meters are not getting anything. I am at a loss....but something you said that the AVB need to be set to analog I did not understand can you elaborate given this setup? I feel like I am missing a key concept but can't figure it out.

Thanks again!!
by kpenhorwood on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:35 pm
If I set it up this way:

Input Sources:
Ch. 1 is set to USB 1
Ch. 2 is set to USB 2

AVB Sends:
AVB 41 = Main L
AVB 42 = Main R

I get no audio thru the main speakers but I can see the audio hitting the meters on the channel. I have checked to make sure that the "main" button is selected in the fat channel but still nothing from the Mains in this setup. I feel like I am missing a step but don't know what that is.
by SwitchBack on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:31 pm
Looks like you're getting closer:
- you have Studio One aka S1 sending audio to USB 1 and 2 on the mixer
- you have channels 1 and 2 on the mixer set to USB input
- you can see the audio from S1 moving the little channel meters on the mixer
- you have the Main button on the left of the mixer selected (i.e. the button is lit)
- you also patched the Main output to AVB sends 41 and 42

Now to get the Main output meter on the mixer moving you should:
- raise the faders on mixer channels 1 and 2
- and raise the main fader on the mixer
If this isn't working then something isn't configured correctly on the mixer.

Once the Main meter on the mixer is moving there should also be a signal on AVB sends 41 and 42. Again, if there isn't then something isn't configured correctly.

How did that go?
by kpenhorwood on Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:08 pm
Yeah, after doing more testing I am beginning to think its a mixer issue. Not sure what could be changed in configuration that would do this. I have a ticket open.
by Bbd on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:08 pm
Good move. Please post back how that goes.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by wahlerstudios on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 am
I can't see anything indicating to a hardware problem, but I know that the NSB stageboxes can be difficult to handle. I guess it's all a routing problem and there are two ways to get the picture clearer:

1) Take the stagebox out of your network and check, if you get mixer and DAW working in the way you need it.

2) Reset Digital Patching (includes analog patching) and do the inpout and output routing of the stagebox from scratch. That's not a lot of work. It takes 3 clicks.

Store your project and scene (separate!) settings before changing anything. This will allow to recall your settings and compare them with new settings. Nothing gets lost, so making the mixer work with factory standards again will show what the problem was.
by kpenhorwood on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:55 am
Wahler Studios is correct. I have been able to use a analog input with a mic and both the channel fader and the master fader worked. I even have the mains on my stage box routed to 41 and 42. But now I have run into another question.

1. How do your route the inputs on your stage box somewhere? When I got to audio patching and input sources I do not see 41 - 48. So what are the inputs on the stage box? How do I refer to them and route them? If I can figure this out I think I have got it.

Again thank you all for your help.
by kpenhorwood on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:06 am
I think I got it. All the inputs are the same corresponding number as the outputs i.e. if you set the sends to 41-48 both your outputs and inputs will be AVB 41-48 and for inputs you just select the channel you want the input to be in and set it to the 41-48 that you want to use on stage. At least that is what seems to be working. Let me know if I am incorrect.
Thanks,
by SwitchBack on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 am
It helped me to realise that the AVB network works just like a traditional copper snake: Numbered inputs and outputs on both ends and you can plug anything into any input or output. So there is no fixed channel assignment on either side of the AVB link. On both ends of the connection you have 64 sends and 64 returns to use at will.

So on your mixer you can assign any mixer output to any AVB send and you can source any mixer input from any AVB return. Most inputs and outputs have default AVB assignments but you can change them at will.

The mixer also remotely controls the selection of AVB inputs and outputs of connected stage boxes on the other end of the AVB connection, in blocks of 8. You already set the stage box outputs to be sourced from AVB channels 41-48 and in that same menu on the mixer or in UC there's a tab to assign AVB channels to the stage box inputs too, in blocks of 8. Then you know on the mixer side on which AVB inputs the stage box inputs will be.

Hope that helps :)
by wahlerstudios on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:55 am
Maybe it helps to separate things. The microphone you plug into channel 1 of your NSB stagebox is probably supposed to be channel 1 of your mixer, so leave the default routing as it is: Input 1 sends to channel 1 and input 16 sends to channel 16. What most of the users misunderstand at this point is that this does NOT imply a direct connection of stagebox and mixer. You need to "read" it different: The NSB stagebox supplies input 1 to your 64 input AVB network and the StudioLive mixer finds this signal via AVB 1 (if default routing is in use).

But there are also 64 AVB outputs and the default routing is 1-32 channels, 33-40 stereo inputs (39+40 Main L/R) and 41-56 flex/aux mixes 1-16. AVB Sends 57-64 are not used by default and can be patched as needed. So, if you want to get aux mixes 1-6 out of the AVB network, make the NSB stagebox outputs listen to AVB Output Sends 41-46 and Main L/R to AVB Output Sends 47+48.

It is indeed possible to route mixer channel 1 to flex mix output 1 of a NSB stagebox, because the mixer "amplifies" the signal, but a configuration like this would be unnormal and confusing. The common understanding is that outputs are mixes and inputs are single signals, so don't send channel 1 to output 1... ;-)

Actually you don't need to, because channel 1 aka AVB Input Send 1 is available all over your AVB network for any device (mixer, stagebox. personal mixer) and any device can "add" input to channel 1. I know, this is clear as mud, but once you have understood what a 64x64 matrix is (both AVB and USB), you will discover a new world.

Edit: This is the same as what SwitchBack wrote. I couldn't read his post when I posted... ;-)
Last edited by wahlerstudios on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
by kpenhorwood on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm
Thanks again everyone. I believe it has finally clicked for me in my head as to how the routing it done. I appreciate all the feedback.

17 posts
Page 1 of 1