4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi! Happy user of a Studiolive 32S here. My DAW of choice is Reaper, invested too many hours into setting it up just the way I want at this point and I'd rather not change DAW because of a change in hardware. DAW control via MCU works, but could definitely be improved by Presonus. One thing that irks me is that the refresh rate for other MCU devices with Reaper can be great, the refresh rate with the 32S and Studio One is great, but the refresh rate with the 32S in Reaper is really bad. I've changed the default 15hz in the settings to 30hz or 60hz but fader movements are still extremely choppy, a not-so-fast up and down volume sweep is translated to about 5 choppy fader movements on the board. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Specs: Intel i9 9900k, 32GB DDR4 3300mhz ram, 1tb Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD, Nvidia GTX3070ti. Using Reaper with a Studiolive 32S
by wahlerstudios on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 am
I would recommend to ask Support for assistance, but Reaper does not belong to the supported products, so they won't help. I haven't seen an expert for Reaper and DAW "Mode" (there is no dedicated DAW Mode for Reaper) in any of the Forums and also not in the Facebook groups. "Answers" is also no alternative. I'm sorry to say, but you will have to find the answer yourself.
by PAE Seth on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:54 am
I don't understand what you mean by Refresh Rate? Never seen this in reference to DAW Mode communication. Monitor/Screen's, yes, but not communication. I doubt there is any control over the data flow from the mixer.

People forget that the mixer is doing both it's normal operation AND DAW mode at the same time, so there is an increase in CPU overhead to the overall system. If the mixer was a dedicated controller, it would be more efficient, but it's sharing resources when put in this state.

Reaper Developer can totally write his own Native Mode if he wants (like they did for the OG Faderport). All he has to do is contact us and we'd gladly send him a test mixer to code with.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by joachimkoreman on Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:46 pm
PAE Seth wroteI don't understand what you mean by Refresh Rate? Never seen this in reference to DAW Mode communication. Monitor/Screen's, yes, but not communication. I doubt there is any control over the data flow from the mixer.

Ah! Sorry, I meant update frequency, in Reaper it's a setting in the Control Panel settings.

PAE Seth wrotePeople forget that the mixer is doing both it's normal operation AND DAW mode at the same time, so there is an increase in CPU overhead to the overall system. If the mixer was a dedicated controller, it would be more efficient, but it's sharing resources when put in this state.

This I understand, but wouldn't that be the same for when using DAW mode in Studio One? I'm using absolutely zero FX on the board and all my routing is on the defaults at the moment, the board couldn't really be doing anything less than it is now.

I made a quick 50 second video of it;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl29-PIrB-s

Not shown is that the meters also update in the same choppy manner

Specs: Intel i9 9900k, 32GB DDR4 3300mhz ram, 1tb Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD, Nvidia GTX3070ti. Using Reaper with a Studiolive 32S

4 posts
Page 1 of 1