4 posts
Page 1 of 1
First a little background on my current setup: My home studio has a StudioLive 32SX connected to the Link port on a SW5E switch with PoE enabled and 2 Earmix 16Ms connected to ports 2 and 3.

My question is: can I connect two NSB 8.8s to port 4 and 5 without them getting damaged, considering that the SW5E has PoE enabled on all 4 ports? Will the PoE fry the NSBs?

Thanks!

Michael

Specs: Windows 10 64bit - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - RAM 16.0 GB - Studio One (6) - StudioLive 32SX - 2x Earmix 16M - 2x NSB 8.8 - SW5E - 2x ERIS E5 XT - ATOM SQ - Novation LaunchKey25
by wahlerstudios on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:36 pm
I have never heard of any problems with PoE and NSB stageboxes. There is also no warning anywhere about this (in all the manuals), so PoE should not be a problem.
by SwitchBack on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm
PoE very much works like phantom power. Devices not needing it will ignore it. From WikiPedia: "... This is possible because all versions of Ethernet over twisted pair cable specify differential data transmission over each pair with transformer coupling; the DC supply and load connections can be made to the transformer center-taps at each end." So self-powered (no PoE) devices will be galvanically isolated from the cables and won't pass (PoE) DC currents.

Having said that, probably with PoE the same rule applies as with phantom power: Make the connections first, and only then engage the phantom/PoE power.
by michaelrodriguez45 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:58 pm
Thank you wahlerstudios and SwitchBack. After reading your replies, I went ahead and plugged in the NSB 8.8s into the SW5E and the StudioLive still recognizes them as active and available in the remote I/O setup, so all is good.

Also it appears that the SW5E recognizes that the NSB doesn't need it since the PoE light on the router is off for those 2 ports, but still lit for the 2 Earmix ports. Looks like PreSonus considered this setup but just didn't reference it in the manuals or videos.

Thanks for the quick replies...you both are awesome!

Michael

Specs: Windows 10 64bit - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - RAM 16.0 GB - Studio One (6) - StudioLive 32SX - 2x Earmix 16M - 2x NSB 8.8 - SW5E - 2x ERIS E5 XT - ATOM SQ - Novation LaunchKey25

4 posts
Page 1 of 1