12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all.

I have trouble connecting my new 24R which seems to be a wonderful Unit but at least at the moment its almost useless for me.

My needs:

Recording 24 Tracks simultaneously at a professional level.
Do overdubs with as low latency as possible.

My Rig:

Presonus StudioLive 24R with newest Firmware/Universal Control.
Latest Version of Studio One Artist came bundled with the Hardware.
MacMini late 2012 i5 8gb Ram running on Catalina.

My Problems:

AVB (my prefered connection due to lower latency) has random dropouts.
24R is connected directly to the MacMini´s Lanport
both devices “see” each other at the mac AVB tool or via HIVE
I can set 24R as Master and MacMini as Slave or vice versa.
I checked different cat5/6 cables. Due to the direct connection i don't need any Dongel/Adapter/whatsoever

I have the feeling that the Dropouts getting worse the longer the system runs.
If I reduce the AVB streams to 32 its getting a little better but dropouts still occur.

USB Connection to Universal Control is not working at all.
The 24R shows up as a CoreAudio device at the Audio/Midi settings and Programs such as ProTools/Studio One etc “see” the unit as a audio device. But I can not control it via Universal Control. It works when I use a Lan/Wlan connection. But in this case i can not use the Studio One Preamp/FatChannel integration due to it is only working when Connecting through USB.

My big question:

Does anybody has a professional way to get this running? I don't care how. It just has to be reliableI.
If there is anybody with similar needs than me, what is your setup?
My old MacPro from 2008 runs the 24R via USB including the StudioOne integration. But I need it portable and the USB2 of the old Mac is too slow to transfer the data after the Gig is done.

I decided to buy this Rig course of the advertising that promised all this and i appreciate any idea solving my Problems.
Regards
Alex
by SwitchBack on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am
Have a look at this and this article. Pay special attention to the clock settings.
by alexanderkollmeyer on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:29 am
Thanks for the answer and the links. I did read both before and I'm familiar with setting digital clocks. As I wrote in my starting post i did all this already without success.

Regards
Alex
by wahlerstudios on Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:44 pm
It might be worth to try the new firmware, which is available as public beta now.

viewforum.php?f=384
by alexanderkollmeyer on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 pm
I tried the Beta with no Luck. Im doing a Rollback to High Sierra now. Although everything works fine on the Computer exept My SudioLive 3 24R :(

Regards
Alex
by alexanderkollmeyer on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:14 am
Clean install of High Sierra didn't work either. The 24R shows up in the System Information and in the Audio/Midi setup but not in Universal Control. So I can't controll the unit via USB 🤬. Does anybody else got trouble with a Mac Mini or us it just me? Everything works but the 24R. I'm stuck here.

Regards Alex
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 am
As the Mac mini is quite old, it might have seen several versions of UC Control/Surface already. I remember former threads in which this was discussed. It might need a complete deleting of everything (!) in the Mac which has to do with PreSonus. There was also something about a reset of other Mac settings, but I can't help further. My knowledge ends here...

But I have two other questions: Does Remote Control work? Can you connect Mac mini and 24R wireless (dongle?). And: Does UC Control via USB work with another computer or laptop?

By the way: does Capture or Studio One work?
by alexanderkollmeyer on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:18 pm
Yes the Computer is quite old, but it performs well with my other recording stuff.
I actually did a complete clean install. Just got Universal Control, Capture and Studio One installed. All the newest Versions/Firmware of course. Thats it.

>> Does Remote Control work? Can you connect Mac mini and 24R wireless (dongle?). And: Does UC Control via USB work with another computer or laptop?
By the way: does Capture or Studio One work? <<

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes i can Control The Unit via Wifi and USB works on other Computers. But this Rig supposed to be kind of transportable so my old MacPro is not usable for my needs and it is running my ProTools Rig in my Studio anyways.

What makes me Wonder is that the Unit works as a Audio-interface. I can send USB Audio in and out. Just Controlling the 24R is not possible. And that is what i need to have the Studio One integration. Other USB Devices (like my Audient interface) perform perfectly without any issues. Capture and Studio One work as they supposed to.

Can somebody tell me about the "reset of other Mac settings"

regards Alex
by babulmukherjee on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:50 pm
Alex -

First of all, I use my 24R on 2017 iMac exactly as you describe as a 24 input interface into Capture or Studio One for tracking and overdubs. I am not on the Public Beta firmware or UC but the latest public release. I was on Catalina but upgraded to Big Sur a few months ago.

I lost USB connectivity a while back because of the Mac System Extension not getting approved correctly. I ultimately did a reload of the OS, and everything has been perfect ever since. More info here: https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -OSX-10-13. I have a post on this forum somewhere also. If that system extension does not get loaded properly, I had the symptoms you described. From my memory, it was a royal pain to work through that on Catalina.

My 24R is connected only via USB to my iMac. It also has a network cable plugged into my switch, but my iMac is only wireless, so I can use my iPad with Universal Control to make adjustments. The USB connection to the 24R is needed for full recording functionality I believe.

Make sure your USB cable is good and if plugged into a USB Hub, and that hub is not preventing poor operation. I had to juggle a few USB cables and USB hubs till I got it all working. Start with plugging a good USB cable directly into the back of your Mac and expanding methodically from there. I labeled the working USB Cable & Hub just 24R use (in case I brain-fart somewhere down the line haha), and everything has been working reliably for quite a while now.

I hope this helps. If not, definitely reach out to Presonus support (which I did not do) and see if they have any other tips.

Maintain,
Babul

Apple Mac Studio Max 64gb RAM, Ventura, RME UFX III, Studio One 6, Genelec 8330A w/7350A, Sennheiser HD 650
by georgesantiago on Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:14 am
Good Morning. I just purchased a StudioLive 24R Rack Mount Digital mixer to use as a recording interface for Studio One 5 Artist. After researching a for days I still get this message after activating the interface mode button that interface mode is not available when I go to the USB I/O digital patching screen. I feel like I may need to return the 24R if I can not achieve 24 track DAW recording. This is my system below.
Dell Precision T3600 Workstation
CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.1GHz 8 Core 16 Threads LGA 2011
RAM - 32GB
Boot Drive - Crucial MX500 500GB Internal SSD
Storage Drive - Seagate FireCuda HDD 4TB 7200RPM 256MB cache
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX 580 Graphics Card 8 GB (4) 4K
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 64-Bit
StudioLive 24R Digital Rack Mount Mixer
ioStation 24c
Studio One 5.5 Artist

Dell Precision T3600 Workstation
CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.1GHz 8 Core 16 Threads LGA 2011
RAM - 32GB
Boot Drive - Crucial MX500 500GB Internal SSD
Storage Drive - Seagate FireCuda HDD 4TB 7200RPM 256MB cache
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX 580 Graphics Card 8 GB (4) 4K
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 64-Bit
StudioLive 24R Digital Rack Mount Mixer
ioStation 24c
Studio One 5.5 Artist
by wahlerstudios on Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:11 am
No need to return the mixer, everything works as it should. 😊 This "not available" is correct, because Interface Mode means that all flex mix outputs (12 in your case) are "occupied" by Interface Mode and therefore not available for other use, unless you switch them back individually to normal flex mix mode (aux, matrix, subgroup). Interface Mode is using USB 39 to 54, so all you need to do is to route a track or bus to USB outputs 39-54 of your DAW.

For recording you don't need Interface Mode. PreSonus is using presets, which have the I/O routing ready for use. Create a new song in Studio One, go to "Interfaces" and select "StudioLive 32 Session" or "StudioLive 16 Session" as template. Then all tracks will show up armed and ready for recording. After you finished recording and you want to listen to the tracks, all you need to do is to change input source of the 24R channels to USB. Then Studio One plays the tracks back to the channels used for recording.

Interface Mode means that you're able to send signals/tracks/buses to external equipment and return the processed signal to a free input channel/track.

Attachments
NewSongInterfaces.jpg
by frantiseknovak on Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm
Hi,

If you are still experiencing problems it is probably related to low power of Mac Mini. Check the Activity Monitor when you enable the AVB and link channels in the matrix. You could probably see high CPU usage by the coreaudiod daemon. I have had so many dropouts with my MacBook Pro 2016 when I linked just two streams in and one out (16 channels in, 8 out) and basically, the laptop was almost unusable - even launching the Studio One was pain in the "beep". The Mac was only 2 core i5 CPU (so 4 threads) and because the AVB is completely processed in software (there are so many data and interrupts handled all the time) the computer was not able to handle it. When I tried to configure this for the first time I tried to use direct 64/64 link without the virtual ethernet device and the matrix. But after that I almost could not even click as the coreaudiod completely killed the notebook with 16 streams processing. I solved it with buying MacBook Pro with M1 CPU. Now everything works correctly, but in the mode without virtual device, so when 64/64 channels are used directly without remapping the StudioLive stops responding after a while. Fortunately I am currently good with 24in/8out channels (3in/1out streams) and this works. But I have to say I have much more problems with this device. It sometimes won't boot correctly (no sound is going through) and it is necessary to reboot it. After the second boot it works correctly. Other problem relates to gates. When I enable it on the channel the strange crackling/popping sounds are going out. It does not matter what is the source of the sound - if it i analogue in or AVB channel, there must be some bug in the DSP firmware or the algorithm must be completely wrong.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1