5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is there any documentation on the gain structure of the Monitor volume knob? It appears that to achieve the same level as the Main outs (set at unity), the Monitor knob has to be turned all the way up. The implication is that all the way up is unity, and anything counter-clockwise of that is a cut. Do we know if that's actually the case? I'm assuming that both Main & Monitor are +4.

Thanks,
Bruce

StudioLive III 32S
ProTools 2021
macOS Catalina
by Trucky on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:16 pm

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by brucemcdaniel1 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:03 pm
Thanks - but unless I'm missing something, that doesn't tell me much more than the owner's manual (that the max output of Main is +24 dBu and the max output of Monitor is +18 dBu). What I'm trying to figure out is where unity is on the Monitor knob - 12 o'clock? 3 o'clock? Maxed out?

The primary reason that I want to know is that I'm running it into a control room distribution system where the actual volume will be controlled externally and the Monitor knob will be "set & forget", so I'd like it to be set at unity before getting to that unit to avoid the signal being impacted by multiple gain stages.

One interesting thing from looking at the schematic that hadn't occurred to me though - the trim for the Main out is analog (after D->A) and the Monitor knob is digital (before D->A). It's relatively obvious why it would be that way when you think about it, but I hadn't really thought about it until seeing the diagram.

StudioLive III 32S
ProTools 2021
macOS Catalina
by Trucky on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:11 pm
Which SIII do you have and where are your speakers attached (Monitor Out or Main Out)?

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by brucemcdaniel1 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:53 pm
32S - I originally had the speakers connected from Main, but I realized that in order to properly use solo, they need to be connected to Monitor, which is where I noticed the level difference, and thus led me to the question at hand…

Thanks!

StudioLive III 32S
ProTools 2021
macOS Catalina

5 posts
Page 1 of 1