8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, I am designing my recording studio with the StudioLive 64S. What is the better option:

(1) Plug all the microphones (and DI boxes) with a 15~20 meter XLR cable directly into the mixer

or:

(2) Plug all the mircophones (and DI boxes) with a 3~5 meter cable into a NSB 16.8 stagebox and connect with AVB to the mixer

If option (2) is the better option, will Presonus also come up with a NSB 16.0 version of the stagebox in the near future?
by SwitchBack on Wed May 26, 2021 3:58 pm
I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference. Maybe a little bit for gear that needs phantom power but even that is moot when quality cables are used. The stagebox solution is more flexible though.

As for a 16.0 keep in mind that you want to send monitor mixes from your mixer to the live room too, say two channels per musician (for in-ear monitoring) plus a pair for speakers. That seems to make a 'one way' stagebox unlikely.
by raymonvanlaake on Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 pm
Thanks for your reply. For the monitoring I want to use the Earmix, connected with AVB to the mixer. So no monitor mixes needed using the stagebox
by SwitchBack on Thu May 27, 2021 3:09 am
Ah, okay. In combination with the Earmixes it makes sense.

I’m not aware of any such plans but if they do it then the 16.0 would be a 16.8 in an 8.8 box I guess, saving some on the box and some on the hardware for the outputs. In software it still must have the 16.8’s outputs because AVB ‘slave’ devices need them to link&sync to the network clock.
by wahlerstudios on Thu May 27, 2021 6:41 am
Using EarMixers in studio makes a lot of sense, but you should consider to buy a SW5E AVB switch for the PoE function (Power over Ethernet). One SW5E can handle four EarMixers. Using more EarMixers means adding another SW5E or daisy-chaining EarMixers. This works well. The only difference is mains adapter yes or no.

You can save money by using an analog structure for all inputs (mic, DI). If you still own a copper snake and subsnakes, use them! Or buy them cheap second hand. There is no real use in buying a digital stagebox or a rack mixer, unless you can use the rack mixer for gigs.
by raymonvanlaake on Mon May 31, 2021 9:11 am
One thing I asked Presonus is if a SW9E AVB switch would become available.... I really would like to have 8 ports. I suppose you can daisy chain the SW5E switches, but then you lose a port (only 7 would remain for the EarMixes).
by SwitchBack on Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 am
I wonder if you can connect the second switch to the second port of one of the first 4 earmixes. That way no POE ports are lost.
by SwitchBack on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:49 am
Confirmed :)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1