15 posts
Page 1 of 1
On a Studiolive III 32R mixrack, when I try to copy one channel to another then all parameters are copied, at least for the three Gate, Eq, Comp. So even if all filters are off!
by wahlerstudios on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 am
The owners manual (Series III consoles) says: "Press Copy to copy Fat Channel settings from the currently selected channel to one or more other channels." This seems to include ALL CURRENT settings of a channel, just that there is the rider "Copy/Paste" which allows to include or exclude several settings like Faders, Names, Mute, Assigns, Pan and others. All those filters are available for copying and pasting settings, all other filters not.

The mixers handle the copy/paste of current settings and the loading presets different. It's quite confusing, but somehow it makes sense... ;-)
by RJacobs on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:30 am
So if I understand correctly, the three big filter buttons( Comp/Eq/Gate) do not work for the copy/paste function? That is a mis to me it would be great if you could just for example copy the Eq from one channel to a another.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:41 pm
They do work, always. It doesn't matter if the the Gate/EQ/Comp. buttons are on (blue) or off (grey). This means that we always copy ALL OF THEM (the complete Fat Channel), not just EQ or Compressor.
by RJacobs on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:00 am
Another thing I just ran into, is unreliable scene's, after setting up A show for about one hour and saving this several times en saving the project aswell!! First time I recall the show most off my work gone had this on a earlier occasion thought it was my mistake but not so now.

The whole project/scene stuff on the 32R/UC feels a but unstable, even have one show refusing the load at all!!

This mixer is going back to the dealer, a shame it's looks very promising and i like the format en possibilty's. But it seems to good to be true!
by wahlerstudios on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:01 pm
Sorry, this is complete nonsense. There definitely is no problem with projects and scenes and what you describe is nothing else than a user mistakes I am using 32R and 16R all the time in many different ways and functions (rack mixer, stagebox, monitor mixer) and it is exactly the perfect storing and recalling of all settings which makes the Series III rack mixers to such incredible tools. They are definitely NOT UNSTABLE!

I also would not be able to think of a reason why a project/scene does not load, because this has NEVER failed for me and there are no complaints to hear in the Forum, in Answers or in the Facebook groups. There must be a reason why this does not work for you and it's possible to find this out, but as you are sending the mixer back, I can only wish you all the best.

There is definitely nothing wrong with the Series III rack mixers. Not at all!
by bubbaguth on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm
Wahler is correct...sounds like a potential network issue (IP conflict, DHCP, wireless etc.) or a bad USB connection all of which could make the mixer appear flaky. There is nothing the mixer can do to fix these types of issues and the mixer is completely dependent on a solid network to be in place. Project/scenes and mixer are completely stable and work...I have mixed hundreds of shows with dozens scenes and projects over the years and mixer is fine. I also know I have a rock solid and properly configured network which is always critical with this type of technology.

I recommend submitting a support ticket to see if they can sort it out for you before giving up.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by RJacobs on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:38 pm
I am sorry to see such a reply, but when I select a scene in the list and hit recall and nothing happens and the scene loaded before stay's there I can not see what i am doing wrong? Maybe the unit i have here has a problem? So to be clear when i hit recall the project and scene name don't change they just stay on the last loaded scene/project names and nothing changes in the mixer aswell. Another thing is that a channel name changed back to default even after repeated saves next time scene channel name back to default!

But as you say in your last message the unit is going back because of this, and some other things that i don't like in how things work project/scene menu(for example why isn't the project loaded highlighted when you open the scene page?)

One thing i do wonder, what is your connection/relation with presonus?

Have a great day
by bubbaguth on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:02 pm
I am just a customer like most people here on this forum.

You could try exporting the project/scene and resetting the mixer and copying the project/scene back to the mixer...this procedure can create a tech support file (with an SD Card inserted) so they could determine if something is corrupt. I would also consider trying a new project/scene...if the results are the same, that would rule out any issues with the original project scenes. Anyway, these are all of the things support could help you work through.

Too bad you are bailing so soon...perhaps you just don't have the patience as we have all have struggled with digital mixing at some point, especially in the beginning when you are trying to get everything sorted out.

The user forums are great for user advice and offer guidance. In this case, we are simply saying that what you are experiencing is not something the masses are experiencing so your best course of action is to contact support to help you sort out what is going on in your environment.

Good luck!

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by wahlerstudios on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:27 pm
I have nothing to do with PreSonus. I'm not related/connected/dependent, I'm just a user of their equipment and trying to keep the abandoned Forums alive as long as possible... But I am also writing for several Facebook groups dealing with PreSonus Series III equipment.

I also don't like the way the project/scene management is designed, but we have to live with it and therefore we need to understand it. Actually the most important things are stored on the project side. The "StudioLive Series III Owner’s Manual" (Series III consoles) describes that in detail in sections 9.6.3 Filters and 9.6.6 Reset. Unfortunately the owner's manual of the rack mixers does not have this passage. It is also very important to know that filters can be selected and deselected, so recalling a scene does not necessarily do what you would expect it to do.

If I would be sitting at your mixer and be able to check UC Surface, I would probably find out what the problem is, but as this is not possible I can only ask to do a basic test of functions. I suppose you are runnning the latest version of firmware (v2.4.17466) and UC Control/UC Surface (v3.4.2.63992). What you should do is to "zero out" the mixer and its patching. Reset project and scene separate (important!) and do a Master Reset of Digital Patching. Check that really everything is back to factory settings.

Then create a project with some basic settings and a scene with a few settings and store them individually. Give project and scene a name. Then create a second scene with a few other settings, store and name it - and recall the first scene. You should see parameters changing. Then do the same with a second project with one scene. Choose some settings which make it easy to SEE changes of projects and scenes like project A/scene A = first four faders raised, scene B faders 5-8 raised. By the way, it's not possible to copy a scene to another project.

This easy test will show you if the rack mixer works as promised, or not. Do not forget the reset of Digital Patching, because it also includes any analog routing.
by RJacobs on Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 am
@wahlerstudios,

I didn't give up tested some more with the 32r, still think the scene's in the 32r don't work great, sometimes not loading channel labels, very slow loading scenes, in the project/scene menu is very easy to make mistakes in editing/deleting because the loaded project/scene isn't highlighted but always the top left one. You can not update a scene the 32r always makes a new one.

And is it even possible to playback pre recorded/cd files for walk-in music? Did not succeed to get that working.

Al this makes hard to decide for the 32R, which is a pitty because i think it has a good sound and some decent effect's,
still in doubt for the presonus or the Mackie DL32R. I want a compact rack mixer for small jobs

And for your info I am not a newbie in the digital mixing world, i have worked with yamaha M7CL, Ql, Cl, O1V, Soundcraft Vi's Si's, Ui24r, Digico's, Allen & heath, and have a Avid Sl3X system for the bigger projects i do.

Have a nice day

RWJ
by RJacobs on Tue May 04, 2021 6:12 am
For the the 'update' item I mean't the presets! not the scenes my mistake
by RJacobs on Tue May 04, 2021 9:37 am
But yet i found more 'strange' stuff in patching, hass any off ever tried to patch a sub group to one of the analog outputs? Or the solo bus for that mather! Trying to patch jack's 15 and 16 to main l/r output's not working! Or is this not possible?

Sorry about this 'bad' news but is it my unit with the problems or????
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm
Correct, the analog patching is "currently not available". This was discussed in this thread in February: viewtopic.php?f=338&t=43801.
by RJacobs on Thu May 06, 2021 5:47 am
I have send the mixer back already, it's to buggy in my opinion. The sound is good and some nice features, AVB interface nice, Fx's ice, Format nice. Graphic Eq patch not so nice, Output patch buggy to say the least!

Thank for the reply's but going for Mackie DL32r I Think

Have a great day

RWJ

15 posts
Page 1 of 1