6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am setting a a home recording studio with studio one daw software and a studio live III SX. I then can get rid of my clarett table top interface since it has one in the studio live III sx and since it has mic pres in it I dont need my cheap mic pre I was using with my interface to record with . That being said tell me is it a mood point using a UA 710 tube mic pre when using the Studio live III sx then going into my DAW ? I mean the UA 710 tube mic pre will still have to go into the studio live III sx so am I defeating the purpose ? or will it not be a waste to buy the external tube mic pre ? I men before a mic pre and a interface and daw was fine but this studio live III sx I am getting has all I need ? please reply as i am new to this
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:21 pm
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

I don't know how many inputs your studio needs to have but the SX will give you 32, the last 16 of them with combo mic/line inputs. Those combo inputs are there exactly for what you want to do: Bypassing the mixer's built-in XMAX preamp (which is a good 'clean' mixer preamp) e.g. to connect a high end mic preamp with maybe more character.

So connecting the UA710's XLR line output to to the jack socket of say mic/line input 17 will do just that. And the mixer's soft input patching then allows you to patch that input to any mixer channel(s) you prefer.
by dgeorge1 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:35 pm
thank you so I can use the UA 710 and bypass the pre amp in the SX. Great. But they also are good enough I hear to track with. ? but for vocals the UA will give me the warmth I need. i WAS WORRIED i WOULD WASTE MY MONEY. Now that said is there an interface or just a ada converter in the SX that allowes me to hook it directly to DAW usb?

I only track what I need so I dont need many at once but if I do the mixer can handle it. and it already has preamps like for 10 mics on some drums ? etc..

correct me if I am wrong
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 pm
Yes, XMAX preamps are excellent for clean tracking anything really, and the SX has 32 of them. But especially in studio's it's common to use outboard preamps on specific sources like lead vocals for some analog warmth or processing or improved SNR, or for a different input impedance or higher sensitivity for microphones that need it. I can't judge how much you really need it but in my book you're not wasting money when you spend it on a quality mic preamp. Gives you options.

The Series III mixers all have a USB interface allowing you to record every input and output of the mixer simultaneously. The mixer takes care of all AD converting and streams the audio in 24-bit RAW format to the computer, 64 channels in total, ready for any DAW to use it. And the computer can stream up to 64 channels back to the mixer too.
by dgeorge1 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 pm
Yes I agree not a waste. However I am sure the preamps in the SL3 SX are better than my interface focusrite clarett preamp ?
That said you said stream to DAW. is there a usb or something to connect it to DAW its not bluetooth ? that would be wierd for quality. The goal is to get the SL3 SX so I dont need a mixer, interface or xlr/1/4 to record instruments. and it works with studio one software so I can mix using the faders to control the DAW instead of a mouse
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:31 pm
If the Clarett is your reference then the XMAX preamps are in the same league and the UA710 will be a step, eh, sideways up for being better on some parameters but different at the same time. Like I said: Options.

As for the streaming no, not Bluetooth but USB2.0. Streaming in this context means a constant stream of audio data between mixer and computer. And yes, the SX is integrated with Studio One for many things like fader control.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1