2 posts
Page 1 of 1
First post, and I posted an almost identical one in the Quantum section. Just working on the build of my first "serious" home studio after a lot of dabbling at home, and a lot of use of professional recording studios over the years, the greater part back in the analogue era, at least for where the recorded sounds were processed. I've been using Studio One for a few years now, and I am very "bought in" to the Presonus workflow concept, and have decided on that basis I'll be equipping my home studio with Presonus as first choice.

Studio is: Half decent size "live room" that can house a 4/5 piece band for rehearsal, and record a drum kit with some room to breathe; + slightly too small "sweet spot" control room that will be used for control and mixing, but possibly not mix-down that I care too much about - we'll see how it sounds. I have already committed to 24 XLR from live room to control room, and 12 TRS going back the other way. Won't ever use them all, but given the studio build costs compared to multicore cabling, a no-brainer.

Options seem to be StudioLive 32 or Quantum:

StudioLive (32), will work with existing PC, might need some headphone amps, nothing else to buy.

Advantages are that I have all the preamps I could need immediately, more real estate for DAW control than I have ever dreamt of, can operate a studio without looking at a computer monitor if I wish, and if we ever get to play out again, I'd quite enjoy using it as a live desk in most situations.

Disadvantages? Will need a custom physical desk for the studio to sit it on. It's only 48 kHz rather than 96 or 192 kHz. Main problem is that after all the acoustic treatment is all in, the control room is only 2.5 m x 3.5 m (about 8' x 11'), and I don't really want the physical desk to totally dominate that space (and I do accept I have little choice, it's too small!)

Quantum (26x32), PC for Thunderbolt (will need to buy one, + TB adapter and cables), FaderPort 16, 1 or 2 additional mic preamps, headphone amp or 2.

Advantages seem to be low latency even when using plugins, smaller physical desk to house it all, outrageous sound quality and sampling rate. Fits on many standard studio desks. Amazingly flexible.

Disadvantages? More cabling and ADAT interfaces. Reliant on computer monitor all the time. Presonus seem to have stopped making mic preamps, so I'll need to research something as good as the DP88 for a reasonable price.

So the question is: Quantum or StudioLive? I'll see if I have cross posted for a view from users, but really interested in views from StudioLive users.

Liam
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:08 pm
DAW Mode can never replace a screen. There are still many things you need to see, which the scribble strips don't show. But it's very nice to have faders (also for automation) and if you think of aux mixes or cue mixes (check the new Interface Mode), the Series III mixers and Studio One are unbeatable.

On the other hand: DAW Mode has not been updated since it was released. Everything new in version 5 and the following versions is simply not available in DAW Mode. Studio One Remote is also very helpful when using DAW Mode.

The blue SL 16 might be a good alternative to a 32S. It's small, but has all the features of its bigger brothers.

I really enjoy DAW Mode and Series III mixers and it's great to see how things work together (I am doing live sound, partly with DAW Mode). What I don't like is that PreSonus is forgetting the people using their hardware. No update DAW Mode since the release of Studio One 5 with all the remodeled stock plug-ins in July 2020 is an alarm signal.

2 posts
Page 1 of 1